RC Competitor

Best motor/esc for the money.

I wanna upgrade my motor/esc, but I don't have any experience other than the stock Velineon system and a Mamba Monster Max in a friend's E-Revo. I wanna know which motor/esc combo will give me the best bang for the buck, whether it's a Castle, Tekin, Novak, Viper, etc, etc. Also, could you guys explain to me the ratings of the motors, as far as Kv, number of turns and all that and what the pros and cons of sensored vs sensorless motors are. Thanks everybody.

RC Competitor
    Also, if you guys could throw a few links in as to where I could find them and how much they cost, I would appreciate it. Thanks again.

RC Qualifier
    Tons of people run castle systems. 2400 probably the most popular of the bunch. I had the 2400 it was great. I now the the 2200. That one is a beast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    ^^^^what robdog said, the MM2200 is a beast, why do we need that must power in a 1/10 scale? Because we can.

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...a_monster.html
    Slash 4X4, MM 2200kv
    MIP CVD
    Tekno Bigbone

i also run the 2200 system, and i think that combo is probably the sickest of them all for all out torque and speed, but you'll have to replace your driveshafts with cvds at a minimum. I even had issues twisting the driveshafts with the 2400 on 4S. alot of people like the 3800 on 3S, but you'll need to gear that low and watch your temps.
    KV=RPMs...
    so if you have a 2200kv motor, essentially, it's equates to 2200 x 4.21(the voltage per lipo cell)x (what ever your S count is on the battery)=RPM
    so if you run a 3S lipo, it's 4.21x3=12.63
    12.63x2200=27,783RPMs on 3S lipo....now...all these motors have different can sizes....the larger the dimeter the can and the longer it is, the more torque your gonna have. so, your velineon is a 36mm diameter can and is 55mm in length...the 2200 is a 42mm diameter can & 75mm long, the 2200 has MUCH, MUCH more torque than the velineon. that being said, because it carries so much more torque, you can gear it MUCH MUCH higher than the velineon and not get the motor as hot.
    however, with a motor that carries a lower KV ratng like the 2200, most people tend to run them on 3 and 4S. basically, it comes down to gettng the most effecient way to go fast with alot of torque.

example:
    the velineon will do 65mph on 3S geared let's say 20/54...this setup is gonna run WAYYYY hot after 2-3 minutes even running on the street. this is not very effecient.
    the 2200 will do 65mph geared 11/54 on 4S and your motor temps will probably never see 130 degrees on a 35+ minute session on the street. this is the more effecient way to go fast and have lots of torque and have cool temps.

hope that helps.
    Last edited by vxlrocket; 10-01-2012 at 07:20 AM.
    Associated rc8TE, rc8.2E, B4.2, Ofna LX2E, Slash

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by vxlrocket View Post
    the 2200 will do 65mph geared 11/54 on 4S and your motor temps will probably never see 130 degrees on a 35+ minute session on the street. this is the more effecient way to go fast and have lots of torque and have cool temps.

hope that helps.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but a mm2200 geared 11/54 on 4s will do 32 mph. For 65mph, you need a 22t pinion .

RC Qualifier
    I have the MMP 2400kv, and absolutely love it. I can't speak for how it compares to the 2200 or the 2650, but I can say that it is loads better than the stock VXL. To top it off, the price difference between the VXL system and the MMP 2400 wasn't that big (especially when you consider the benefits.)
    Slash 4x4 stock
    Slash 4x4 MMP 2400
    KB Fiesta

Quote Originally Posted by maestro View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but a mm2200 geared 11/54 on 4s will do 32 mph. For 65mph, you need a 22t pinion .
    .....nope, you're right, it was a typo. my big ogre pinky is as big as normal adult thumb. lol it was supposed to be 22t my point is you can actually gear it for 65 with no heat issues whatsoever. i'll also say this.... my 4x4, with no body and it geared 38/17, i've hit 80mph+ on 4S with 17mm GRP tires. that 2200 has the torque to do it. it's a BEAST. that slash is my Avatar.
    Last edited by vxlrocket; 10-01-2012 at 11:33 AM.
    Associated rc8TE, rc8.2E, B4.2, Ofna LX2E, Slash

RC Competitor
    .....nope, you're right, it was a typo. my big ogre pinky is as big as normal adult thumb. lol it was supposed to be 22t my point is you can actually gear it for 65 with no heat issues whatsoever. i'll also say this.... my 4x4, with no body and it geared 38/17, i've hit 80mph+ on 4S with 17mm GRP tires. that 2200 has the torque to do it. it's a BEAST. that slash is my Avatar.

I know what you mean. I converse mine to backslash and have MM 2650. I was on 3s geared 22/54. Now I'm on 4s geared 15/40 mod1. Honestly, I'm actually re-learning how to drive it. Motor stay cool. I can not imgine how it would be geared with a 18 or 19 pinion.

RC Enthusiast
    Wow man, i was gonna start a thread on motors because i dont get them at all, but after reading your comments, you seem to really know your stuff. That being said, is there a way of solving the overheat issue on the velineon by messing around with gears, different C rating baterries (maybe add heat sinks w/fans, dont know how many degrees that can knock off thought)? I would also get a MM, no idea which particular model, but i love my velineon/vxl because its a waterproof(resistant) setup. Becomes useful when you are cleaning the car after driving in some serious dirt, but then again, dont know much about MM, maybe its also easy to clean it.

RC Qualifier
    The vxl is known to overheat fairly easy. I however ran mine on 3s with 13/54 (stock) gearing for about 3 weeks and never could get it to thermal. Mine would run about 175* max. C rating won't do much for you. Most effective things are gearing down, and allowing airflow in by putting holes in the windshield of the stock body.

RC Qualifier
    Tekin scx4 and hobbywing esc 4.5t. The truck is an absolute beast and I have no need at all for 3 or 4s lipo. 2s is all you need for it to be a tire shredder

RC Competitor
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...tle-14152400kV

How's this guy sound? Anybody run the Mamba Max Pro with the with the 2400kV motor? I guess I should mention that I'm more into going fast and tearing up gravel than racing. There's really no legit tracks around here to run on.

RC Racer
    Idk if you like a good bang for the buck system i would go for the tacon 3674 about $40motor or the tacon 4074 about $70. For an esc i like the toro sc 120a these can be found on ebay for about $60 to $70. Either of these combos will cost about the same as the velineon. I haven't run the cc stuff so i don't Know how truly awesome they are.

RC poster
    I've been very impressed with the tacon I am running.
    The ********* is worth a look also.

RC Champion
    you can actually just upgrade the ESC to the Mamba Max Pro and see a big difference. Call Castle tomorrow and talk to the techs....they are a WEALTH of knowledge and very willing to share it!!! GREAT customer service!!!

RC Racer
    I would say tacon is a great motor for the money. Even Jang said that he could only feel a dfference in bottom end torque between the castle and the tacon and toro. The castle has more torque but the tacon and the toro are identicle. I think he said the tacon is 59 and the toro is 99. I went with the castl e 2200 and love it. Absolute beast.
    Backslash 4x4
    FLM Rustler