RC poster

Grease that flex shaft!

Just reading thru many posts and I see many really think they can run and run without greasing the cable. I ALWAYS remove the cable after a couple runs. I remove it then wipe it down and if I am running again I do the below actions. If you are done for the day then wipe the cable down, put some oil on it and keep it in the hull or a plastic baggy until the next days running. Do not leave the cable in the stuffing tube. Even greased up the grease can dry and cake up. Not bad to shoot some cleaner down the stuffing tube from the engine side as well to get any old grease and gunk out of the stuffing tube.

I run just some pennzoil wheel bearing grease in the tubes from walmart but then I use just some regular oil in a dripper and drip some oil down the cable after greasing it. This makes a very slick formula.

I try not to get any from where the coupler connect on the cable.

If you are getting water in the hull then go to the auto store and grabl a few vacuum line caps and drill a hole the size of the cable and CA it over the stuffing tube end....this will help any water coming up the tube.

Just a couple tips but they can make the differnence. Resistance is our enemy.

RC Qualifier
    First I've ever heard of recommending storing the flex cable outside of the stuffing tube, but makes sense.

I always clean and grease before storage, and have never had issues to date, but will have to consider changing my habits.

Thanks for the advice Jwohlt.

hog

RC Champion
    My plan is to do exactly what you said. I DEFINITELY learned my lesson after breaking the stock shaft. I'll grease it after every two runs... if the shaft ever comes
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

RC Competitor
    Greasing the flex cable should be a religious act

You guys wouldn't believe with some of these gear boxes on the gas boats, every time you run for 35 minutes you have to fill it up with more grease it's crazy.

That's the thing about Rc boats, if you have good components and your boat is set up right and well taken care of, I truly believe that NOTHING should break.

RC Racer
    im still waiting on that "nothing should break" so far my only vehicle to acomplish that is my mini revo, maybe my spartan once the wiredrive is in with seaking n 4082 i can say that, but then the hull would split my luck,lol

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by t-maxxy View Post
    im still waiting on that "nothing should break" so far my only vehicle to acomplish that is my mini revo, maybe my spartan once the wiredrive is in with seaking n 4082 i can say that, but then the hull would split my luck,lol
    Haha. btw, what I said only applies to boats cars/trucks i'm breaking all the time.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasTuesdays View Post
    My plan is to do exactly what you said. I DEFINITELY learned my lesson after breaking the stock shaft. I'll grease it after every two runs... if the shaft ever comes
    Definitely learned my lesson too. Just pulled my flex shaft out, cleaned it really well, greased it up and put it in a storage bag. I normally just kept it installed but I will take Jeff's word on this one. Thanks Jeff

Beatings will continue until compliance is gained
    uh oh.... that didn't sound good

RC poster
    Just got my Jeff Wohlt shafts in the mail today. Took less than a week to arrive after I ordered them. They work great! I will def make sure to grease them up. Man I love my spartan!

RC Qualifier
    If you have an all stock Spartan, what size wire drive would you need as a direct replacement of the flex drive?

RC Qualifier
    .078 with a spartan prop shaft on the end. You will also need a new coupler for the motor, 5mmx.078.

Hog

RC Qualifier
    What do you think about a 5mm x 62? I see one of those on the website that QueefOfChaos is working with, but not a 5mm x .078.

RC Qualifier
    No, for a .078 wire drive you need a coupler that will fit a 5mm motor shaft, and it has to be .078 to fit the wire drive.

You should be able to purchase the correct size coupler from the same vendor you purchase the wire drive.

Hog

RC Qualifier
    Dahhh...don't I feel like a dope. It didn't sink in, when I first read you reply, that the wire drive diameter was .078. Sorry for the dumb question, but thanks for answering it anyway.

RC Qualifier
    There are no dumb questions. I have often overlooked information in a post, then realized it later.
    Hog

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by hog View Post
    There are no dumb questions. I have often overlooked information in a post, then realized it later.
    Hog
    Been there done that too.....

With most of you guys doing the upgraded flex shafts etc., You just force me to spend more of my wife's hard earned money..

I don't know why for sure but I have yet to have a Stock Traxxas flex shaft go bad on me or a tube/liner. One boat is 22 months old and the other is 18 months and I bought the latter used.

I have two flex shafts for each boat and swap them out after every run, reserviced and put back in use.

And as Jwohlt stated above, when they a not in use, they have been stored in a zip lock bag after servicing.
    Just me being lucky I suppose.....
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    Good to see Jeff Wholt in the Traxxas forum...welcome man!

Good advice. I grease my shaft after every single run, and since switching to the Wholt .187 30 runs ago, its still as good as new. I love my setup!