RC Qualifier

2.8 or 3.8 tire question?

Just wanted to know if a 2wd vxl stampede could run 3.8 trenchers on all four tires or would it be to much for the ESC to handle?
    I would be using 2S and 3S Lipos.

I know that 2.8's are good, but I would like it to have an even more monster truck style look to it.
    Thanks.
    Never trust a fart.

RC Champion
    3.8's are heavier, the tires that go on them are taller and wider too. Definitely monster, but at what cost? You could do it, but to really pull it off, you'd need to really stretch your pede's dimensions as far as width and length. FLM used to or still does make a 1/8th scale conversion and that'd be a good place to start.

But if you just want to run them, I don't see why you couldn't. Chrisfoster put some 3.8 desperadoes with some street tire on his captains curse, but took them off because he couldn't keep his motor cool. He may be brushed.

If you look at some of the 1/10th crawler tires, they'll be 5.5 inches tall which is a good bit taller than stock. get the protrac kit, mount the shocks on the innermost holes and load them up with spacers, monster jam mounts all the way up, and you'll have a pretty monster pede that way too.

RC Qualifier
    Okay, so if I would buy 4, 3.8 front offset trenchers, mount them, and run them, my ESC would be okay with that? (If I gear around 17/90 or 19/90??) I have been wanting a more of a monster look to it, I just got the "Ford Raptor F-150 SVT body" from pro-line and all I need is to paint it and tires and I'll be good. I know that the ESC is fine with 2.8's but going an inch bigger is my main concern.

I don't need to extend or widen, but down the road here, I plan to go with the pro-trac kit.

I'm trying to get more of a monster look with my pede than my dad has with his 6.3 big joes on his T-maxx. I know I won't come close to size, but I know that size doesn't matter.
    Never trust a fart.

RC Racer
    check the wheel hex sizes, most 3.8 are 17mm. you will need smaller pinion gears then 17 if you want to keep your motor temps down, the increased tire size will add speed to your pede. try 16/90 then go from there.
    Started XL-5 now VXL-XL! and spare parts XL-5

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    At the minimum you'll need a set of 14mm hexes since most 3.8 rims are minimum 14mm.
    I don't have shelf queens, I have bash kings!

RC Qualifier
    The Hexs are 17 mm.
    I just looked on proline, and I can get 2, 3.8 trenchers mounted on black desperado's for 45$. They are font offset,

"This is a pair of Trencher X 3.8" (Traxxas® Style Bead) All Terrain Truck Tires Mounted on Desperado Black ½” Offset 17mm Wheels."
    Never trust a fart.

If you go with 4 front wheels, the rear will be a little wider than the front but should look ok. I did the same on my P2de but with the 2.8 trenchers. Your 3.8 tires will make the truck wider because they are wider than most stock tires, and you may not need a wide mod.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    So the truck would look normal if I got the pro-trac kit and mounted the front off set tires that way?
    I like the idea that the mounted 3.8's are 6.89" tall, but only 3.8 in diameter! Just thinking about it makes me smile.
    Last edited by ithrowstones; 10-01-2012 at 11:31 AM.
    Never trust a fart.

Quote Originally Posted by ithrowstones View Post
    So the truck would look normal if I got the pro-trac kit and mounted the front off set tires that way?
    Yes that's correct. Here's a pic of my Pede with 4 front wheels and stock A-arms, you can see it's uneven but I don't mind the difference. I bought 4 fronts for my P4de and have them on this truck temporarily.

RC Qualifier
    So how would I make it be normal in width on the back to match the front? Just buy the front set and then the rear set?
    Never trust a fart.

RC Racer
    ^^^Yes, I had to do that...

---BT
    Bit-Older and need to 'learn' more.

So how would I make it be normal in width on the back to match the front? Just buy the front set and then the rear set?
    Correct. The prolines come in a pair of fronts and a pair of rears. Just buy one of each for a stock truck.

RC Qualifier
    Ok. So is that the same with the 2.8's then?
    Never trust a fart.

RC Racer
    Ok. So is that the same with the 2.8's then?
    Yes, I have the 2.8 and it's the same.

---BT
    Bit-Older and need to 'learn' more.

RC Qualifier
    I think I am going to decide on the 2.8's just so I know it will be easier on my ESC and motor.
    So I am going to need 1, rear set and 1 front set...sounds like a plan to me.
    Never trust a fart.

RC Qualifier
    input??

needs ten characters...
    Never trust a fart.

RC Racer
    My 2 cents I would say just do it the trenchers are taller than the roadrages but I'm sure its going to look cool I used 1/2 inch offsets I liked that they were heavier than the 2.8 because it would not wheely as much I used 16/90 gearing and 8.5 turn 4000kv 10.8 volt batt and my motor got really hot

RC Qualifier
    now those are tall!
    I think I'll just get the rear 2.8's and the front 2.8 so my motor and ESC won't have so much stress on it.. and I can still run my normal gearing.

I usually use 19/86 19/90 17/86 17/90. I have a 23 and a 26 but I don't need to go fast.
    Never trust a fart.

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    Sorry im a little late to the party.

I have run 3.8" maxx chevrons on my p2de and although they looked pretty cool, they created a lot of issues with the truck. Wether or not the esc and motor can handle the big wheels and tires is the least of your worries, gear accordingly and watch temps and the vxl system will pull the monster wheels and tires. The first thing you have to look at is the offset of the wheel you will use as a lot of 3.8 wheels (such as stock maxx wheels) have an offset that will create steering clearance issues. You may need to look for some 14mm hex adapters that are also wheel extensions to give you the clearance you need. Speaking of steering, you'll have to look at upgrading the steering servo to something with a lot more torque and metal gears. The turnbuckles wont last long either before they bend or break and the servo saver will have to be upgraded as well. Remember that the bigger wheels dont have a different front to back offset like the stock p2de wheels do, so if you dont already have it, then the protrac kit or just front arms will be needed to even you out, wheel adapters can also handle this for you if you find the right ones. If you get all this sorted out, then you will need to move onto the drive train. The stock shafts wont hold up for very long, so youll have to upgrade to slash 4x4 rears (which will still twist but last a bit longer) or get some mip x-duty cvds. The rear carriers need to be upgraded as well as the front steering knuckles cuz these will snap easily hauling all the extra weight of the tires. You need to run a loose slipper as well or youll just chew up the gears in the trans, trust me on this one. After all this is upgraded and youre rolling down the street, be careful not to hit anything with the extra width of the tires, as this will now make short work of your plastic bulkhead. Your bearings will also bunk out way faster than they do with the smaller wheels and tires, your run time will be cut by quite a bit, the slipper clutch will wear out faster, gears will wear out faster or just strip, transmission bearings will wear out faster, the truck will develop wheel slop quite rapidly, hinge pins will bend often, suspension arms will wear faster at the hinge points and develop slop, stub axles will bend or break, the wheel adapters tend to develop slop from wear, the huge tires will be a real pain to balance and even the slightest imperfection will make the light truck shake and vibrate, but yes they will look pretty cool. Still want huge tires on your p2de? 😉

If you plan on getting the protrac kit in the future, do yourself a favor and get 2 pairs of front offset wheels. You could also just do the front protrac arms to even out the front to back track width.

There is also another easier and very cheap way to even out your track width, this is to buy aluminum 1/4" over c-blocks. They just replace the c-blocks you have now and give you 1/2" gain of total width on the front. Cost is $20 plus shipping. Heres a link to the c-blocks:

http://shop.rc-solutions.com/Slash-R...ck-Set-168.htm

Sent from Dan's iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BaldyDaniels; 10-07-2012 at 11:20 PM.
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC Qualifier
    Welcome to the party!! Let me take your coat and follow me this way..

Now that I finally have what I've been looking for, troubles with getting the 3.8's.
    I know for a fact now that the 2.8's won't cause all of those issues.

Since my talons are still going strong after 3 years ( trying to destroy them with 3S) I will most likely get the pro-trac kit in the late winter early spring then run that until my talons finally die then order some trenchers.
    I will order the front offsets to make the widths match so the back end doesn't stick out farther than the back end. I will buy them mounted.
    I replaced the stock yokes with some steal ones from Traxxas. I do have the stock plastic shafts, haven't any problems with them on 3S. Once I do break or twist them I will get the mip x-duty cvds.
    Never trust a fart.