Hybrid View

RC Champion

Debating the Pede 4x4

Hey guys I have been debating the Pede 4x4 for some time. I currently have a built Pede vxl with REM tranny, Protrac, Trenchers, STRC bulkhead, ANZA caster blocks, etc. What are the pro/cons of the Pede 4x4? For those running the Protrac, how much better is it than stock? I had an ERBE which is a fantastic truck, but seemed overkill for my needs. I like the idea of 4x4, but don't want excessive maintenence. From what I see the Slash/Pede 4x4 systems look more simplified than the ERBE, is this a correct assumption? What other upgrades are must have's right off the bat? I will be turning 40 in February, so hopefully I can start a new chapter in my Pede book. Thanks, dc
    Was an xl-5, now its vxl-ent!

The Pede 4x4 is my favorite platform and IMO is very versatile and durable. Mine is set up like a 4wd Stadium truck. The only thing that I feel is a must have out of the box upgrade is an aluminum bearing adapter in the slipper clutch. I have other upgrades on mine but they are more about personal choice than must have.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor
    i have the protrac kit, and it make the truck flip less, but so does better driving.

must have upgrades
    1- king headz motor mount
    2- lipo battery
    3- front bumper rmp or tbone
    4- some say mips or teknos but i have yet to break my stock ones. When they do break, then i will think of the expensive upgrades or the $3 stock
    5- tires, stock ones have there place because they slide alot, but depends on what surface you run on

other than that, wait till something breaks

RC Champion
    lipo check, Trenchers check. I like to bulletproof mine before I get to involved with them. I don't beat my trucks though, it is more for looks.
    Was an xl-5, now its vxl-ent!

RC Qualifier
    As dad says its very durable and I think much better than the 2wd stampede I had. I also found a rpm bumper helped save the front end.

If your running 2s all stock is fine for the most part. You'll probably want too upgrade the rear shafts as they twist and snap ove time even on 2s.

RC Qualifier
    Maintenance really isn't to bad. Was a concern to me before buying.
    Things I have done are:
    King headz motor mount
    Teknos Drive shafts
    Aluminum bearing adapter
    RPM Arms
    Fan on ESC, and heat sinks on motor ( 2 kinds)
    And lights ( I run it when the kids go to bed)
    I don't beat on my stuff, but I don't want to be fixing it while I'm out and about.
    I run 2s lipo's and really like the truck!
    2x Stampede VXL
    Stampede 4x4

The pede 4x4 is a lot of fun and as hard as nails.get the bearing adapter part no 6893x and then mips or teknos and that should keep you happy
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    The pede 4x4 is a lot of fun and as hard as nails.get the bearing adapter part no 6893x and then mips or teknos and that should keep you happy
    I've had bad luck with the Tekno cup style wearing out on other vehicles. I put MIP's on the rear and Integy XHD metal shafts on the front. When I first got the Integy's I noticed the splines were not quite as smooth as the MIP's when they were new. However, with lots of hard use. they seem to have less slop in them than the MIP's now. Also, the outer shafts are longer and less likely to come apart if you break something on a big jump. Since they come fully assembled and at half the cost, I'm more impressed with the Integy axles at this point. I did replace the two grub screws on each end with Traxxas pins that go all the way through the diff output shafts. These (with blue loctite) stay on better.

RC Competitor
    I would say 4 things are a must for a basher using a BL motor and LiPo battery.

1. King Heads Bearing Mount
    2. Aluminum bearing adapter (traxxas or King Heads, but the traxxas can be had with a bearing for 2.99 on e-bay and is the same thing)
    3. Tekno or MIP drive shafts (at least the rear) with Aluminum hexes
    4. Aluminum Shock Caps

RPM arms, alu caster blocks are nice to have, but I wouldn't say they are necessary unless you just enjoy letting you truck drive uncrontrolled into large objects at high speeds :-)

I'm running a 2400kV on 4S geared 16 / 54 with proline trencher 2.8's on my Slash - Pede 4x4, top speed according to calculator is 54mph (that's with no ballooning). I have not broken a single suspension component (shock caps I replaced with aluminum ones when I was on the vxl still).

Another nice upgrade to have for durability are the hardened steel titanium nitride shock shafts, they offer very smooth operation and are very tough (i've never bent one personally, but I've bent several stockers). Slash 4x4 rear bumpers work well to for additional protection on the rear end, also you can install the wheelie bar wheels on the slash rear bumper easily, and its not as intrusive to the operaation of the truck off-road and in my opinion looks better. Revo slipper clutch and aluminum pads are nice for high powered setups, very durable and work great (although they have a rough and raspy sound that some times makes me mistake it for a spur gear stripping, even though its not). Sway bars are a good performance upgrade, but don't affect durability and maintinance, however I thought I'd mention them.

If your going LiPo and BL and want to maintain reasonable control, tape the insides of your tires and balance them. Otherwise just balance them if you want higher top end (the ballooning increases the final drive ratio around 3 to 4 pinion sizes, but comes at the cost of controllability). Beyond that the stock truck is very good.

Quote Originally Posted by WiNandLeGeNd View Post
    I would say 4 things are a must for a basher using a BL motor and LiPo battery.

1. King Heads Bearing Mount
    2. Aluminum bearing adapter (traxxas or King Heads, but the traxxas can be had with a bearing for 2.99 on e-bay and is the same thing)
    3. Tekno or MIP drive shafts (at least the rear) with Aluminum hexes
    4. Aluminum Shock Caps

RPM arms, alu caster blocks are nice to have, but I wouldn't say they are necessary unless you just enjoy letting you truck drive uncrontrolled into large objects at high speeds :-)

I'm running a 2400kV on 4S geared 16 / 54 with proline trencher 2.8's on my Slash - Pede 4x4, top speed according to calculator is 54mph (that's with no ballooning). I have not broken a single suspension component (shock caps I replaced with aluminum ones when I was on the vxl still).

Another nice upgrade to have for durability are the hardened steel titanium nitride shock shafts, they offer very smooth operation and are very tough (i've never bent one personally, but I've bent several stockers). Slash 4x4 rear bumpers work well to for additional protection on the rear end, also you can install the wheelie bar wheels on the slash rear bumper easily, and its not as intrusive to the operaation of the truck off-road and in my opinion looks better. Revo slipper clutch and aluminum pads are nice for high powered setups, very durable and work great (although they have a rough and raspy sound that some times makes me mistake it for a spur gear stripping, even though its not). Sway bars are a good performance upgrade, but don't affect durability and maintinance, however I thought I'd mention them.

If your going LiPo and BL and want to maintain reasonable control, tape the insides of your tires and balance them. Otherwise just balance them if you want higher top end (the ballooning increases the final drive ratio around 3 to 4 pinion sizes, but comes at the cost of controllability). Beyond that the stock truck is very good.
    +1 if you are going to run 3s

The 4x4 Pede is by far the most durable Traxxas car that I own. A lot depends on the amount of power you put in it. The VXL combo is just a bit too light to my taste, but if you put more power in it, you have to realize that the durability goes down when the power goes up. Quite normal for any car, but the trick is to find the sweet spot.

I found stepping up from MMP/2400 to MMP/2650 just puts that extra stress on the drive train what made it necessary for me to get stronger drive shafts. Of course everything depends a lot on driving style.

If you dont mind not reaching idiot speeds nor do stuff like standing backflips, a 4x4 Pede with a MMP/3800 (or any other combo with similar power) makes it a very nice machine.
    Nobody is born with experience.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Bring it on dcsally!!! I own both of them and they are awesome platforms. Like mentioned above with the upgrades. Really depends if you want to just fix when parts break or start off with a near bullet proof setup.

My #1 is the King Headz motor mount & the oversized bearings adapter. If you plan on going more power like the CC MM & 2200/ 2650 or MMP 2400 the Revo Spec'd Slipper w/ aluminum pads is another good thing to add to it ( like W&L said & the rest of his list +1 ).

Here is my P4de. You'll notice most of the upgrades listed from the others guys above. MIPs.

Desert Rat Sl4sh with some of the same and a little bit more. I run Tekno's on this one.

Wish ya luck on your new decision.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

And if you do put a power house combo in your pede make sure you make your diffs bullet proof by using revo diff carrier supports part no.5382x and maybe tekno big bone center driveshaft as well

RC Racer
    What proline shocks are you guys using? The ones for the slash?

RC Qualifier
    @Rob....I think the question would be if you put the integy on the rear would they last. The rear shafts take far more abuse/stress than the front. :-)