Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Painting slash body help

Hey I have a clear slash body that just came in the mail. I am only painting it one solid color (color shift) and masking off the windows. How to I prep it? Do I need to scuff the inside of the body or is that only for complex multi-coat designs? As I said before I'm only painting it one color. Any help would be very much appreciated. This is my first time painting a body.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks man. I'll get painting tomorrow!

So here are the basics .. Scuff it if you want but it's not necessary just reccomended for Longer paint life. Prevents chipping. WEAR A MASK!! Paint on the inside which I'm sure you know. Oh and if the holes are not made yet, make some. I made a mistake by doing so on my first body. Took me forever to do it. But that was with a proline body do it was ment for many sct. Spray a light coat every hour or so. No matter how anxious you are to see the final result thick coats and not letting them dry will ruin the look of the body. When your done use a reamer to make body holes and then cut out body( I can't tell whether it's precut or not) then remove the over film and you will see your shiny new body!
    Now let's not forget the decals...
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Thank you very much. Fortunately it's a pre-cut stock slash body from traxxas with the holes already made as well. I think I'll scuff it anyway because it sounds like a good idea. To scuff I'll just use the scrubby back of a new sponge? Is that ok?

RC Racer
    Definitely scuff the body or your paint may flake (my own personal experience). Just use the normal duty sponge with light pressure, not the heavy duty and be careful around the windows. Also, wash it well after scuffing.
    Last edited by SR-71; 09-30-2012 at 01:12 PM.

RC Competitor
    Don't forget to protect it after painting with either shoe goo, or aluminum tape. Those slashes like to kick up rocks that chip paint.

RC Qualifier
    I gave my Proline a final couple coats of silver on the metallic blue. Really made it pop, I did not scuff, or add shoe goo. Not sure why that would be recommended on a newly painted body, shoe goo is used in conjunction with drywall tape to make repairs.
    Last edited by Dgb007; 09-30-2012 at 02:51 PM.
    Slash 4X4, MM 2200kv
    MIP CVD
    Tekno Bigbone

RC Qualifier
    Comin' out pretty bad. Just warning you guys. I am above and beyond mad. The paint collected and drooped all over the inside of the body after the second coat (especially in small crevices), I need to buy a new can of paint because it ran out, the window masks bubbled on the edges (so that means they are useless and probably going to put the window stickers on it) and the color is barely even visible yet. WOOHOO! 30 bucks and time wasted.

I was wondering, I saw a video by squirrelod about removing paint from lexan bodies. He used brake fluid to do it, but I have lacquer thinner -
    Last edited by Nitroelectric; 10-01-2012 at 05:52 PM.

RC Qualifier
    This stuff-

I think this would do the same..... Because the body looks terrible and I cannot handle that. I would like to redo it. It should not be a problem since there is only two coats, even though barely any paint shows.

Mamba monster rustler 2200kv
    Traxxas slash brushless

RC Qualifier
    Lets see a pick of the body here is what mine looked like on the second coat

And what it looked like after the backing color

If it is thicker in one spot more than the other it will appear darker. On the corners that might not be a bad thing. Soon as it gets some scratches it.

RC Qualifier
    Oh darn here's a pic. I might just buy a new body and start from scatch. I realize now that I put way to much on the first coat. Your supposed to put very little. I wasn't expecting barely any color before the backing so I put more on. Here's a pic

I'm so dumb. Well it was my first paint.....

Traxxas slash brushless

RC Qualifier
    it still can be fixed
    Race Rustler 18/84
    http://tinyurl.com/5u8ave

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty4life View Post
    it still can be fixed
    If so, how? Like do u know? Any help would be super appreciated

Traxxas slash brushless

RC Qualifier
    dot 4 brake fluid in spray bottle with paper towel
    Race Rustler 18/84
    http://tinyurl.com/5u8ave

RC Qualifier
    What about that lacquer thinner I have? Will it work the same? If not I'll just buy brake fluid

Traxxas slash brushless

RC Qualifier
    I would be afraid the thinner might melt the plastic. I have not tried either but there is quite a few saying brake fluid but be sure to clean that thing good after the brake fluid.

RC Qualifier
    Okay I'll go and buy some brake fluid and re paint. Thanks man

Traxxas slash brushless

RC Qualifier
    BTW, that type of run comes from being too close to the work. I'm guessing three or four inches. You need to be 10-12 inches back for the first few coats. And they need to be "dustings". Just lightly dust the body and let dry.

RC Racer
    Dusting it will also help prevent bleeding thru the tape

RC Qualifier
    Also did you wash the body and dry it before painting. In the middle picture above, I see running (right rear corner of roof) like the paint was being sprayed on a surface that was oily from mold release agent. That or you did not shake the rattle can thoroughly.

RC Qualifier
    I shook the an for approximately 3 minutes and yes I now realize that I was spraying too close. I am going to re paint it. I also did wash thoroughly and scuffed as well. I dried it very well with a towel

Traxxas slash brushless

RC Competitor
    One trick I use is to set the spray cans in hot tap (not boiling) water for about 10 minutes so the paint atomizes better.

RC Qualifier
    That sounds like a good idea. I'll try that next time. But the reason it came out really bad is because I sprayed too much at too close of a distance.

Traxxas slash brushless

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroelectric View Post
    What about that lacquer thinner I have? Will it work the same? If not I'll just buy brake fluid

Traxxas slash brushless

Do not use lacquer thinner!!!!!!! I made that mistake one time and it will destroy the lexan for sure. I only used a little bit on a rag and it made the lexan foggy.

I've found some solvents that remove paint really well without hurting the body. I would post it here, but it's against forum rules.

Also, the comment about waiting an hour between coats is WAY too long! Since lexan paint is lacquer based, it probably won't hurt because the paint is not catalyzed and spraying more on will loosen the first coat a bit and still have good adhesion. But on the same note, it's lacquer, so there is no need to wait for an hour between coats. It's solvent-based paint and those solvents will evaporate rather quickly, unless you're painting in an igloo. In a 75-80 degree environment, 10 minutes between coats is more than enough.

RC Qualifier
    Thank you so much! I will make sure now to not use lacquer thinner. And thanks for the tips as well on time in between coats. Very helpful

Traxxas slash brushless

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroelectric View Post
    Thank you so much! I will make sure now to not use lacquer thinner. And thanks for the tips as well on time in between coats. Very helpful

Traxxas slash brushless

NP. And like the others said, use light coats and also make sure to spray from all different angles to get into all the ins and outs of the body lines. That is especially important with bodies such as SCT. They have a lot of contours especially in the bed area and you need to spray lots of light coats from different angles to get coverage in all those areas.

RC Qualifier
    Start with the corners so they don't get so much and then it is much easier to fill in the smoother areas.

RC Champion
    I buy my bodies..I can't paint!

RC Champion
    Painting a body is part of the fun.........You only need to ruin one or two bodies ..... then you get better
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    Ahhaha well I'm at the ruining stage although I have brake fluid now and I plan on doing that thing later today or tomorrow and then I need to buy more paint 😠

Traxxas slash brushless

If your body turns out bad... NEW BASHER BODY
    But im sure it will turn out good now that you know what went wrong

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    If your body turns out bad... NEW BASHER BODY
    But im sure it will turn out good now that you know what went wrong
    Yes I hope so lol. No seriously now I am pretty sure it will come out decent this time around. thanks for the encouragement

Traxxas slash brushless

RC Champion
    What kind of paint are u using?
    Merv, Sl4sh, P4de, Embe, Slash
    2400/2200/4000kv

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.J View Post
    What kind of paint are u using?
    I am using panctra paint. It is color shift, shifts from purple to green. It's so cool! But I threw away the bottle because I ran out. Going to buy more. I won't be here from Friday to Tuesday, but next week is the week of the reincarnation of the body lol.

Traxxas slash brushless

RC Qualifier
    Pactra* srry. Autocorrect....

Traxxas slash brushless

RC Qualifier
    UH OH
    This is what happened. I got some parts clear but the next day this is what it looked like. Would it be possible to paint over it or is it worth it to just buy a new body?

Traxxas slash brushless

RC Qualifier
    Check out this thread sometimes things that would usually look awful turn out good.

http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=162443

RC Qualifier
    Idk man this looks prettyyyy awful. I just don't want to waste a can of paint and have it turn out worse you know? But maybe I'll paint in the areas where it is clear and throw on a white backing.

Traxxas slash brushless

just mask off a bit where its clear paint the rest whit to match take off masking then put the color you want on?

RC Qualifier
    Well I would just through the black backing on there and see how it looks figure it this way it has cost you somewhere around 50$ ? to get this far go ahead and dump the extra 3$ backing on it.