RC Enthusiast

Updating drive shafts

Sure it's been posted before but I couldn't find anything in stone on google. I have an older widemaxx, originally a 2.5 now a 3.3 chassis converted electric with Dewalt motor. The rear shafts didn't even last a charge. I noticed them twisting so I filled them with brake line but instead it broke the male end of both shafts right up by the yoke. I can get a full set of the new brushless or 3.3 shafts with the rubber boots on the bay for $20 after shipping. Do I need to get the knuckles too or will the new shafts work in the older knuckles? Anything else I need? I did read the Summit shafts are stronger but they go for twice as much, are they that much stronger or will the brushless/3.3 shafts hold up to a 14.4v dewalt and 2x 2s lipos and a spool in the rear?

RC Champion
    You would need new steering knuckles and bearings. The 3.3/summit/new revos/3903/5/8 maxxs all have the same drive line, unless im missing something.
    "American Muscle beats import any day of the week"

RC Enthusiast
    The one's for the Summit look beefier around the yoke area in the one's I've seen. They also appear to metal where they connect to the diff and one's longer than the other because of the locker. But if you get two pairs just run the two longer ones in the back and the shorter ones in the front since the rears have more stress on them.

I can pick up the knuckles complete with the ball screws, bearings, and all the rubber boots for another $15 so that isn't a big deal.

RC Champion
    I run ST-Racing aluminum knuckles in the front and I love em. little more expensive though, but no more poped balls.

RC Enthusiast
    Well I placed my order with Dollarhobbyz on EBay. Got all four driveshafts, center driveshafts, knuckles complete with pillow balls and bearings, and some slayer shocks I want to try and use on my Slash for $60 shipped. These guys part out trucks all the time and have some great prices. I nabbed my LVD EVX2 from them for $55 before they updated the price on it. I also found another seller that sells complete rolling chassis so I'm thinking about upgrading my 2WD Slash to the 4WD model.

RC Champion
    ya, ebay chop shops usually have the best prices