RC Competitor

Gearing Question (yes I have searched)

I have a Ken Block box stock, And a Kyle Busch again box stock. Both of them the brushless models. Got them used so did not get manuals or the other pinions that are suppose to come with them.

Now my question (and yes I have searched to no avail) what would be the optimum gearing or a good start to achieve maximum top speed on a 3 cell lipo. I have a long stretch of road to gain the speed and will be running foams. May invest in a more aerodynamic body but will try th KB body for now. I just need a little advice as I am new to running electric cars. Been a nitro head forever. And with running my nitros I never really bothered with gearing so I never really bothered to learn about it. So now I wanna put down some good speed numbers and need a little advice. So any kind of help would be much appreciated

Getting to the max top speed in a safe way always goes hand in hand with watching motor and ESC temps. If you do short runs, you can use a taller gearing and stay within safe temp ranges than when you want to drive longer runs.
    Since pinions are not the most expensive parts, you maybe can buy a few. You could start with 25/45. But again: watch the temps.
    Nobody is born with experience.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Peter nailed it... it takes a temp gun and some readings to let you know what gearing is right for you.

If the RC is too hot, you need to gear down; which means a smaller pinion or a larger spur.
    If the RC is cool and you want to go faster, gear up; which means a larger pinion or a smaller spur.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    Speed wise...(not thinking of temps) sinlge 2 cell 2200mah lipo 43spur and 31 pinion....or do I have that backwards on speed?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    The bigger the pinion or the smaller the spur, the faster the speed.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.