RC Qualifier

need help burnt up esc in my merv.

i'm new to this hobby and bought a merv. after one week i burnt up the esc. i'm running twin onyx 1300 lipos. 11.1v 1300mah 14w. im using the parallel adapter pt #3064 with the 28 tooth pinion gear. instead of replacing the esc, i think i just want to upgrade the esc and motor. my question is what would be the best motor and esc combo for my current combo. i dont want something that im gonna have to upgrade the slipper clutch and transmission with. all the research i been doing is leading me towards the castle creations sidewinder 1/10 scale sv2 4pole combo. 4700 i think. if i do that. what other parts do i need to make it compatable with the merv? motor mount etc. i have upgraded all the suspension, drive shafts axle carriers etc.

any help would be greatly apreciated.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Running 3 cell you needed a 23 tooth or smaller pinion not the 28!
    Check this post out http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...big-block-revo
    a mmp would be a better esc and your thinking of the castle 4600
    Last edited by 50togo; 09-29-2012 at 10:46 AM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by the finisher View Post
    i'm new to this hobby and bought a merv. after one week i burnt up the esc. i'm running twin onyx 1300 lipos. 11.1v 1300mah 14w. im using the parallel adapter pt #3064 with the 28 tooth pinion gear. instead of replacing the esc, i think i just want to upgrade the esc and motor. my question is what would be the best motor and esc combo for my current combo. i dont want something that im gonna have to upgrade the slipper clutch and transmission with. all the research i been doing is leading me towards the castle creations sidewinder 1/10 scale sv2 4pole combo. 4700 i think. if i do that. what other parts do i need to make it compatable with the merv? motor mount etc. i have upgraded all the suspension, drive shafts axle carriers etc.

any help would be greatly apreciated.
    I recently was using a SV2 to see how it compares to my MMP and I was very happy with the results, you should be fine with the 4700 combo. Rather than get an after market big block mount I would suggest using the mount setup from the 1/16 Summit since it will allow you to still use your stock receiver cover without modifying anything. You can get the whole setup on ebay for about $14.00 shipped.
    Last edited by airmaxx23; 09-29-2012 at 11:39 AM.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Qualifier
    If you want a cheaper big block system, check out the dynamite fuze series. $115 for the esc/motor combo and you get a field programming card. They are avalible in 3800, 4800, 5800, and 6800KV combos. Ive been running the 6800 combo for almost 2 years on 2s (and it will do 3s). Been using 28/55 with road hawg tires. Highest I've ever seen the temps was 170f after back to back packs playing in the grass.

Now for a quick lesson on amps and what it means to you. Your batteries are 1300mah and 25c(this C number is the discharge rating), multiply these numbers to get the amount of amps the battery can supply. That gives you 32,500. Thats 32.5 amps PER battery. Now since you run them parallel you can multiply that by 2, so you have 65 amps to play with. If you use a system that wants more than 65 amps you WILL have problems unless you get new batteries with either higher mah rating and/or higher c rating. Long story short, the batteries HAVE to match the needs of the system. Also if you going for a 1/10 system it wont want all the amps its rated for when it's in this smaller 1/16 scale since it weighs less.

I know this may be a bit much since your new at this but do a bit of research on it before you pick your system. Also remember to adjust your slipper 1/2 to 3/4 turn from the spring being fully compressed otherwise you will destroy your drive line. Also mentioned above, you will need the motor mount. If you want the gears covered like stock, get the BRUSHED summet motor mount and cover. If you dont care about the cover look up tenbol on google.
    Last edited by TheMajekalBum; 09-29-2012 at 04:38 PM. Reason: forgot some info
    Dye-no-mite Pow-er Go Fast, Wirrrrr Screeeech BOOM

RC Competitor
    Send burnt esc to traxxas for a new esc.... 30 day 100% guarantee
    Sell the new stock esc on eBay ... Put up the difference and but an upgrade
    I wanted waterproof so went with ezrun 60 a

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    [QUOTE=TheMajekalBum;5298280]Also mentioned above, you will need the motor mount. If you want the gears covered like stock, get the BRUSHED summet motor mount and cover./QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by airmaxx23 View Post
    Rather than get an after market big block mount I would suggest using the mount setup from the 1/16 Summit since it will allow you to still use your stock receiver cover without modifying anything.
    This set is not just from the 16th Summit... ALL brushed 16ths have this same mount.

The stock motor is pretty stout...
    I would go with an aftermarket 60+ amp ESC and call it good.
    Or let the ESC be the first step before raising your center of gravity and ruining the handling you have now.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    well, pulled the trigger on the sidewinder combo. lots of good info here. i'll definately switch the pinion. is it the 23 tooth the stock pinion gear? also i'll pick up the summit motor mount. @bum yeah that's a whole lot of info. gonna take some time to digest all that. thank you all for the info! it's much aprecciated. i'll post updates when i get the motor and esc install it all!

RC Qualifier
    oh, and one more thing. i just recieved the integy type 2 universal drive shafts pt#t3506. they look nothing like what is on the truck and seems like they wouldn't work. all the research i do leads back do this style of drive shaft. how do these things install? it says right on the package that they're for 1/16 e-revo.

RC Champion
    [QUOTE=Jimmie Neutron;5298301]
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMajekalBum View Post
    Also mentioned above, you will need the motor mount. If you want the gears covered like stock, get the BRUSHED summet motor mount and cover./QUOTE]

This set is not just from the 16th Summit... ALL brushed 16ths have this same mount.

The stock motor is pretty stout...
    I would go with an aftermarket 60+ amp ESC and call it good.
    Or let the ESC be the first step before raising your center of gravity and ruining the handling you have now.

Crap, I forgot to put the brushed/550 mount, I wish I could edit my post, thanks for noticing.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    oh, and one more thing. i just recieved the integy type 2 universal drive shafts pt#t3506. they look nothing like what is on the truck and seems like they wouldn't work. all the research i do leads back do this style of drive shaft. how do these things install? it says right on the package that they're for 1/16 e-revo.
    you need to take apart the bulkheads to get to the diffs to install them
    Last edited by 50togo; 09-29-2012 at 07:58 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    you need to take apart the bulkheads to get to the diffs to install them

AAAHHH!!!! now that makes sense. cant wait to get em installed!

Might as well shim while you are in there if you haven't already.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    Might as well shim while you are in there if you haven't already.
    shim? how and why?

It is all explained here:
    Setting up your bulkhead

RC Qualifier
    that makes sense. this weekend i'll get it all installed. i'll post some pics of the upgades to.

RC Qualifier
    just got my sct 3800 combo in the mail. the esc has a built in fan, and the kit comes with a motor fan. is the stock gearing ok for this setup? or should i get a smaller pinion gear. i have the dirt hawg tires on it, so they're a litte bigger. and with the 3s batteries, should i stay away from the parralell battery connector? i'm just a basher.

Stock "speed" gearing should work fine... just watch temps.

You actually may be required to run your batteries in parallel to keep up with the amp draw of your new power system.

RC Qualifier
    what about the speed connector? bad idea?

Can your ESC even handle 6S??
    Even if the ESC can... the RC probably can't. lol

RC Qualifier
    I haven't got too much deep information but I've heard that the Flux vapor pro is very good and I'm planning on getting one soon, and it has a fan so it won't get too hot

RC Champion
    just got my sct 3800 combo in the mail. the esc has a built in fan, and the kit comes with a motor fan. is the stock gearing ok for this setup? or should i get a smaller pinion gear. i have the dirt hawg tires on it, so they're a litte bigger. and with the 3s batteries, should i stay away from the parralell battery connector? i'm just a basher.
    I alway remove the fans from the MMP esc since they just trap in heat when they aren't running and I've seen quite a few of the fans stop working after a while.

RC Champion

RC Qualifier
    If its apart get the brushed motor mount plate as well it's much thicker n designed for the weight& torque of a 550. Basically the entire brushed motor set up. Def shim the diffs don't skip the front or you'll be wrenching as soon as you break too hard. Have fun send final pics.
    BB MERV/T8 Rusty/OS21REVO
    Drive it like its Hot

RC Qualifier
    will do. it'll all be installed this weekend.

RC Qualifier
    alright, so i didn't get the steel drive shafts on the rear yet. and the local hobby shop didn't have the brushed summit motor mount kit. gonna order it online. so i temporaraly mounted the esc untill i get the kit and figure out the final location of the esc. i couldn't wait to drive the **** thing! but here are a couple pics anyway.[IMG][/IMG]

RC Qualifier
    here's one more. i still have to figure out what i wanna do with all that wire! [IMG][/IMG]

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Looks good but those rims are going to hold you down!

RC Qualifier
    yep those wheels are heavy. it doesn't wheely as much. which in a way i kinda like when i'm tryin to just fly down the street. they grab too. i hit the brake at full speed cause there was a car about to run it over and it ripped the ball joints right out of one of the axl carriers!

RC Qualifier
    so i finally got the big block in and gears right. lots of fun! here's some pics. i still want to do something with the wires, and have to put the front steel drive shafts and steel center drove shaft in. [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Looks sweet. Do you really need that fan!

RC Qualifier
    It can't hurt. Got all the steel drive shafts in and rear diff rebuilt. The tork from that motor is ridiculous!