RC Racer

need help. tires and wheels

im looking for some new wheels and im stuck. i really want the speed hawgs but have some ?s

the look like they may be too big.

i mostly drive on road on asphalt. and have found to much info on how the drive. some say great others say different.

my second choice is premount despo's with road rage.

what do you think. im a disabled vet and dont have money to waste. let me know thanks

RC Racer
    I have the 3.8 desperados and roadrages and they are good great for pavement and pretty good on hard packed dirt

RC Racer
    thanks. im lookin for something that stick on asphalts but has a little slide to it. the stock talons flip to easy and when it does slide it hard to control

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Only problem with premounted tires is they are not taped and will balloon with 3 cell batteries but on 2 cell you will be fine.
    The standard road rage are ok they don't compare to the much wider speed hawg .
    Dirt hawgs is another favorite that despite its name work good in the street. Look a few posts down on tires

Dirt Hawg s which are made for the rear of a 1/10th scale buggy mounted up on Traxxas 7171 Dish rims have been a great set up for me. I run my MERV mostly on pavement and grass and the tires hook up and handle well. Best thing about them is they seem to last forever.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    thanks 50, i didnt think abouth the premounts not being taped. but the price is hard to pass. i think the speed hawgs would be good were i run cuse the open spot in the asphalt were i live, stock wheels grab those spots and flip it.

RC Racer
    thanks for the help everyone. im still leaning towards speed hawgs

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    speed hawgs next to dirt hawgs you will need some 2" rims like the hpi 2160

RC Enthusiast
    does anyone know about wheels with more offset than the stock ones that fit the stock tires ?

RC Qualifier
    I know they havent been mentioned yet but Id try some road hawgs. I love the way they let me drive. I can grip when I want and I can slide when I want. Basically if i "chop" the throttle(let all the way off fast, then get back on it) just as I turn in I get a nice 4wheel drift. If i dont chop it and just gradgualy let off going into the corner i get enough grip to keep it where i want. They will need truck rim if you go for them.

Also regarding taping...IMHO fishing line is superior, less chance of unbalancing, easy to redo(if needed). Only downside I see is that it doesn't work with all tire treads. Basically, you wrap the outside of the tire with fishing line, inbetween the tread. You want to aim for 3-4 bands across the tire. I do 3 wraps per band with a knot after each wrap. Aim to have each band just barely squeezing the tire. Sorry if its hard to see, this is the only decent pic i have from the old set up. You kinda see the fishing line as the white specks between the tread.
    Dye-no-mite Pow-er Go Fast, Wirrrrr Screeeech BOOM

RC Qualifier
    I would recommend JConcepts Rulux Rims with any 1/10 rear buggy offroad tire. I find that it's a waste of cash to buy "slick" onroad tires since they have less tread... I myself import my tires from Asia and pay way less and the tires are copies of other brands for way less. Although I do buy the brand name rims because I acetone the tires off and the brand name rims don't melt!
    1/8 HPI Vorza Flux
    1/16 Traxxas E-Revo VXL

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sascha View Post
    does anyone know about wheels with more offset than the stock ones that fit the stock tires ?
    That is a tall order because the stock tires are an oddball size with a Traxxas specific bead style.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    thanks everyone. one other concern i would have with the larger speed hawg is more strain on the driveline. i have all stock driveline for now and am running 2s. ive had no problems yet so far so dont see anyneed to upgrade. if it aint broke dont fix it. and with the wider wheel another concern is servo havent upgraded yet either. i like the premounted desperados with the road tires but the look to skinny, and the speed hawgs look to big.

RC Racer
    im also gettin some nuckle. im leaning towards rpm but like hr too.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    any upgrade like that will put a bit more strain and with each upgrade you beef up other areas too.
    the rpm carriers work good when new but some have problems with the large bearing seat ovaling out and pillow balls popping out . i like the gh carriers some have had problems with hr also as they have a round hole in the seat of the pillow ball and others have a square hole

RC Racer
    has anyone tried the small road rages

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I had them but with.a fast motor not.enough tire when your making power other that that worked ok

RC Racer
    i running stock motor. is that to much for the smaller tire

RC Racer
    what im worried is the speed hawgs are going to slide all over the place

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Stock motor on 2s but not 3s batteries the speed hawgs are about twice as wide and have more traction

RC Racer
    yup stock motor 2s. thanks 50 you a big help.

RC Competitor
    does the hpi 2140 fit the dirt hawgs ??

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Compare the width of the tire to the width of the rim.

Tire is 1.75"
    Rim is 2"

It will fit, but it will be stretched... and not the easiest to glue on.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    well i pulled the trigger. went with speed hawgs and som gh knuckles. also some stainless pushrods. ill post some pics of my setup when done. ive done my research on glue so should be good there. went with the hpi mesh weels in white. something different might dye later. thanks again everyone

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by shanto View Post
    does the hpi 2140 fit the dirt hawgs ??
    I have a couple sets on dirt hawgs little stretched but not too bad and great off set on the rims!
    Last edited by 50togo; 09-30-2012 at 07:58 PM.

RC Competitor
    ok , thanks for the input and are the hpi meshwheels better ??

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Same rim width less offset

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Great tires, good stability, will they slide ? don't think so, I found the stocks ones less grippy.

RC Racer
    that yellow slug bug looks sweet

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    With my old 6000kv combo I had speed hawgs and thought I solved my traction problems. I adjusted the wheelie bar straight down so it wouldn't wheelie, got up to speed nailed the throttle at around 50 spun the tires and missed the curb by inches!!