RC Enthusiast

slayer pro build and questions....

I have a build started and I have a couple of questions I need answered about the slayer. I bought a new slayer pro rolling chassis and I have a new Picco .28 team turbo motor for it. I know that I will need a big block conversion kit for it. My main question is that this motor is strictly bump start. I know that there are 2 bump start boxes out there, the rd logics and the ofna box. Both are stated to start the revo 3.3 and that is basically what this is right? As I understand it they have the same chassis. Has anyone put a bump start motor like this on a slayer and used a bump box to start it? I am concerned that these boxes will not have enough power to turn over a motor like what I am trying to use.

I never used a bump start, but it should have enough power to turn the engine over, but I'm not 100% sure...
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Enthusiast
    Anyone else that has actually used one of these boxes with a larger motor?

You could try asking this question in the Trx engines, Revo, or T-maxx sections and see if anyone can help... Sorry I couldn't help, I really don't know too much about bump starting...

RC Qualifier
    your picco can be fitted with a rotostart.. a bump start will not work with a big block in the slayer, the angle of the engine on the mount will not allow the flywheel to be engaged by the bump start...

RC Qualifier
    there is more bad news.. to convert your .28 team picco to rotostart u have to change the crankshaft..$92 then add the proper backplate $23, one way bearing $30 , another shaft with hex on it $???then rotostart parts $30....Basically u could by another picco that would work for u...

RC Enthusiast
    I am not doing all that. I am pretty determined to bump start this truck with that motor without doing all that stuff. I have seen your YouTube videos. Mine will be up soon.

RC Enthusiast
    I forgot to mention that I pretty much have endless resources at my disposal like a full blown machine shop and all types of material. I will modify the starter box or the chassis to do it. I have the ofna starter box on the way. There are also 40mm flywheels out there that will help with that as well.

If you are saying this about the slayer then the same would be true for the revo as well right? I see bump start big block revos all the time.

RC Qualifier
    okay good luck... i have the 40mm flywheel and it is 1/2 inch above the hole in the chassis plate where the bump start would engage the flywheel.. thats with the New Era mount..

Alright, sounds good. Good luck!

RC Qualifier
    dont get me wrong just trying to help out.. starter boxes on the slayer pro/ revo will work, only with direct bolt in engines. os .18, os .21, dynamite .19, picco .26max, picco .26 reddot none of which are true big blocks. U could try the traxxas big block mount with your picco .28 not sure if its compatible..

RC Enthusiast
    I didn't take it personally. I found another mount that is as nice as the new era and just ordered it. It does not tilt the motor over quite as far and has all kinds of adjustments. It is stated to work with the revo 3.3 and will allow the use of a bump start with a big block.

Was the new era the only mount you tried with the big block on your slayer? I went and looked at the traxxas mount today and took my motor with me to check the fit. It will fit the traxxas
    mount but that mount allows pretty
    much no adjustment. I will report back with my findings with this mount that I found.

Your videos are nice. I would really like to see a high speed run though. What's your gearing and what clutch are you running? I am looking at one of the buku's for mine.

RC Qualifier
    whats the name of the mount u found?? glad u liked the vids.. it winter here now in edm ab canada so speed runs will be next spring.. gearing is 18/36 and my clutch is a 3 shoe m2cRacing.. im having an custom ERCM pipe made for it, robin makes a small block one for revo/slayer gonna have him do a rear big block pipe...

RC Qualifier
    they are true performance pipes, supercharging effect like a pipe should.. Extremercmods.com/pipes

RC Enthusiast
    I got the picco pipe that is made for the engine I have. It is a side pipe though.

RC Qualifier
    qoconcepts mount??

RC Enthusiast
    Yes that's the one.

RC Champion
    You have to use the OFNA box with the Slayer, so luckily thats what you chose.

The RD logics box is too wide to be used with the Slayer. The reason is this; With a normal bump box (buggy/truggy), you push straight down on your vehicle, until the bump wheel contacts the flywheel. The top of the box is on a hinge, and is spring loaded. With the RD box, you tilt the truck while you are pushing down, until the bump wheel touches the flywheel. The top of the box is not spring loaded, but is a fixed piece with notches cut into it. The steering servo guards line up with, and lock into, these notches, and in turn line up the flywheel with the bump wheel. Due to the narrow track of the Slayer, the left rear wheel hits the side of the box long before the bump wheel comes in contact with the flywheel. This prevents you from lining up the flywheel and bump wheel.

In regard to the clutch. I run a Qoncepts BB flywheel on my Revo, along with Savage shoes. The style of clutch shoes, and springs, are shared by a lot of manufacturers, and are readily available at most hobby stores.
    Believe 1/2 of what you see,and 0 of what you hear

RC Qualifier
    if you have a machine shop at your disposal, you should be able to fab your own custom mount.. u have the chassis to go off, and dimensions from your .28 JL?? give it a try

RC Enthusiast
    I do and I will as a last resort. If I can get my hands on one of the qoncepts mounts for reference it would eliminate a ton of guesswork.

RC Qualifier
    i will keep my eye open for one... traxxas big block mount is pretty much a bump start only mount, try it for now??

RC Enthusiast
    I think I am going to. I really liked the lateral adjustability of the qoncepts mount though. Oh well I google searched so many pictures of it that I think with some careful measurements on my end that I can duplicate it easily. I see exactly how it works and how it was designed.