Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Revo build, suggestions please!

I am going to be building an ERBE, so far I got a roller from Rag 6 on the way. I ordered a hobbywing 120amp eesc with 2700kv 4 pole motor, and two SPC 2s lipos.

I want to build a mostly offroad basher with occasional on pavement runs. Not that interested in speed but would like to keep up with at least a revo 3.3 offroad. Will the system I have coming allow that or will I need a bigger motor?

The roller has the trx sway bars, I have optional rockers and some other parts already. What are some good springs to have on hand? What spring/pushrod combo will get me low but stiff enough to run fast on road?

I will be browsing the forums in the meantime but please feel free to comment and make suggestions, I had a big block revo, but didn't have any love for nitro at all. So I am now looking at building the truck I really wanted to begin with.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Champion
    2700 is the speed of the motor. What size is the motor?

40 x 74 I believe!

Sent from my Torch!

RC Qualifier
    post up pics of your build...i've always like to see how other's do their build...

As soon as I get something to take pics of I will, definitely gonna need some extra eyes on this project as I am not that familiar with the revo period.

Pics as promised, the tires and wheels that came with the roller are pretty big and the offset is really out there, I figure I will try them out and see how they go. The third pics shows how far out these wheels sit.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    I miss it already!
    Here is a pic of the footprint with those tires:

I dont think I ever flipped it sideways on 4s. Once I put the mip's in, it stopped breaking axles... Very stable with those tires and that offset.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

Rag6, which grub screw is missing? I made a pin for the axle and the screw was still in there. I still need to take it all down and clean and loctite everything. I am lazy I know. It is has actually been sitting in my cabinet now for a few weeks, ordered the sc8 but it hasn't shipped yet.

I have too many projects and most of my time is at night, those two don't mix well LOL!

The grub that held that 1 missing pin in???? I may have missed it? After so long, even the red loctite loosens up with the mips. Check them out, and re loctite them often... the pin will slip out and break...

Well here are some updated pics, I got my sc8 4065 combo and so far it has been pretty good. Except the bec on the sc8 puffing out, but that was my fault the servo specs at 3.2 amps so I will have to run a separate bec, which I already had from my foray into nitro. I may add another servo as well, not enough torque on the single to turn the wheels at a standstill, running is not an issue though. I like the aluminum bumpers but thinking they are going to transfer the impact to the chassis, and break something else, maybe an rpm mount with them instead of the aluminum?

Also need to decide if I want to wire a lipo to the bec or use the small pack I have, opinions?

Sent from my Torch!
    Last edited by rjm2519; 10-23-2012 at 02:02 AM. Reason: tapatalk stinks! At adding pics anyway!

RC Champion
    Wire your bec into the esc plug. Extra batteries on a electric rc is redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by rjm2519 View Post
    I ordered a hobbywing 120amp eesc with 2700kv 4 pole motor, and two SPC 2s lipos.
    I ordered the same motor end ESC combo for another side project I have on the go. What Savox servo you running there mate?

I am also running a single Savox servo on this build and was hoping to get away with out an external BEC

Your build is coming together nicely....
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 10-24-2012 at 03:46 PM.
    Rock n Rolla !

Thanks craig, its the 0251mg, 222 oz in. It only costs $40 so its pretty cheap, but it seems to take a lot of power to run. But I have plenty of power on the external bec to run two of them and the radio, which I may do.

BLBob the only problem is I would have to run it off a single lipo instead of both it is only rated for 3s, I may just order a different one and put this one on ebay.

Sent from my Torch!

I plan on running this servo Savox SA-1231SG in my eSlayer build...I hoping to get away without an exteranl BEC as the servo is rated max. 6v. What is the Hobbywing ESC V??
    Rock n Rolla !

The hobbywing I believe maxes out at 3amps on the bec, the servo you are wanting to run should be fine for it, the servo I got is not coreless it is just digital. I didn't want to put that much money into a servo, but I may not have saved anything since my bec is now toasted on the SC8.

I hooked my meter up to the BEC lead on the servo, when powered up it jumps to 10.1v and then starts dropping down to 1.17v. So it is definitely toast, I was going to send it back for repair, but I am just going to use it as is.

Looks like I may order a 10 amp castle bec, handles up to 6s...gotta plan for the future! The SC8 combo has a lot of power though, I dare say it would run circles around the big block revo I had. Temps were a little higher than I would have liked (160F motor, 170F esc) but within safe range. I will get it hooked back up soon and do some more testing.

I have an 10 amp Castle BEC in my eRevo with a Hitec HS-7950TH servo...its probably an overkill for my truck, I really like it...I have my BEC set to 6V. I am using the Traxxas 2.4GHZ Tx and Rx, the TQ series.

Good luck with the rest of the build....
    Rock n Rolla !

Well I was hoping to get a good run in yesterday and at least cycle my spc packs once...that didn't happen. I got everything hooked up to my BEC and new tactic receiver it was working great until...

So needless to say I won't be recommending this esc anymore! Unless I don't like you! LOl! Probably not even then...My run lasted maybe 5 minutes, maybe and most of that was just slow cruising around using one hand to control the truck and the other aiming my blackberry. An action shot...this was as "crazy" as it got...

So the Mamba monster you say! I will be looking let me know if anyone has anything they are looking to move, I am interested!

That is suppose to be the water proof ESC?? idr
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

IDK, probably the same electronics inside, it says splashes of water will not hurt the esc, something to that effect. I wouldn't take it swimming though.

RC Champion
    Crud! So would you recommend it to me then? How about a warranty return?

I just don't know, I will have another esc in my hands shortly with some "proper" gearing, I will see how that goes...the warranty as far as hobbywing goes is all the way back to china. So the cost of shipping two ways and the time? Whether or not they will warranty it?...too many questions if you can get an answer back from them at all, luckily for me Kershaw stepped up and helped me out. I have bought from him before and have always liked the service and support.

He recommended the 150amp esc and a TP2250 or leopard 2364 motor to get close or a little better than the MMM system. He says better due to the high failure rate of the MMM, hard to argue against that. I will do a full write-up with pics of both systems when I get them in. I will be using a castle BEC this time around, that seemed to work really well compared to taxing the esc BEC.

RC Champion
    Did you pull the red wire out from your esc rx plug before running the external bec? I know you said it was fried before that but maybe it caused the melt down back feeding the esc?

Yeah Dan da Man to the rescue.

Yes i did, sadly that was how i burned out my receiver, hence the new one, lol! It was one of those things I knew better but did it anyway without thinking. I pulled the red wire promptly after watching in horror as my receiver lit up where it had not light and then started smoking. Live and learn and then pay the man!

Sorry to hear about the melt down. Hope you get some runs in soon...

Well the new esc and motor have arrived! Can't wait to get them hooked up, that will be another day, probably tomorrow. Until then here are the pics!

Didn't get a motor shot uploaded yet, maybe later tonight but you can see the size difference, and then the awesome castle bec compared to the not so awesome other one.

Sent from my Torch!

Here are pics of the the hobbywing 2700 motor and the tppower motor that came with the 150amp esc, it is a 40x74 size motor 2250kv. I will see how this goes!

RC Champion
    I can almost smell that new electronics smell um yummy, Good luck with this one.

LOL! Im still smelling the burnt electronics smell, that smell wont leave my garage my poor truck will have to stay outside a while longer.

All mounted up!

That little blue thing is the bec from castle, awesome that it is so small but can supply 7amps cont. and I wired it direct to the battgery plug since it is good to 6s.

Well I am happy to report that the new combo is as advertised so far, after running my packs out in the backyard (they weren't fully charged) motor temp was 108 esc was 82...awesomeness. I did, however, have another hiccup with the receiver and bec, they must not like each other and they both lost the fight, I am at a loss their. But I used the trusty old AM trx radio to test it out. Everything worked great, I am very pleased so far.

Specs for my run:
    throttle punch level 5 (guessing 50%) since there are ten levels.
    gearing 19/68
    50% power in reverse
    50% brake no drag

RC Enthusiast
    I see a Tactic receiver, good choice on that one.

Yep, it was good, until I turned plugged the battery in, now it's not good. Lol, to ebay I go again...It is an awesome radio for the price and the range has been excellent considering the internal antenna. The tx only needing 4 AAs is pretty nice too!

A little update, I have run the truck about four times with the 150 amp system, and it has got some awesome power. I decided to gear it down to 13/54 instead of the 19/58 I was running it at. Also got my radio system all straight. Decide to take apart the rear and replace the bulks since the fronts were cracked and I had bought the wrong ones the first time. Good thing I did they were broken as well but not as bad. Added a wing mount and then some loc-tite and heat shrink to the axles to keep them in place I will see how that holds up.

Pics:

Also had this happen during a run, thought the slipper had come loose, again, but it was worse. I added a washer to help keep the load across the bearing.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That is a lot of rotating weight!

Something is wrong with your scale size! LOL! I already ordered a set of mashers to go on a stock set of rims, pick em up later this week. Already got the gorilla tape ready!

RC Champion
    IM going with a Tekin setup myself.
    RX8/T8 2250 truggy motor
    The BEC on the RX8 is rated for 5amps and friendly to high powered servos.
    Servo shoudl be here tomorrow. Going to single servo JR Z9100HVT. 480oz torque @ 7.4 but Im going to be running it a 6V so about 350 or so. That should be plenty as it out classes the torque on twin traxxas 2075's. I got it NIP for $120 which beats the $199 retail price it goes for on most online hobby stores.

Not to knock anyones servos but Savox servos are garbage. Ive already had my run with them and gave up. They are very power hungry and every one I tried failed to center correctly. They would get close then sit there and hum until I reach down with my finger and center it myself. Hitech makes some nice servos that arent cheap but not as expensive as the JR servos. Futabas are also decent.

Those wheels are huge..... Looking good.
    Rock n Rolla !

can you turn with those meats on there.......??
    post 33
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

To each their own, I have had good luck with savox and I know a lot of other guys have too. For 39 dollars its a hard deal to beat, it works just fine on my rig.

Sent from my Torch!

Time for a little update! I have been running the ezrun 150 with the TP2250 motor, power has been excellent and temps very good for the most part. The motor does run a bit hotter than I would like, but under some hard bashing with Mashers and 19/68 gearing on grass and lots of rooster tails max temp I have gotten was 160F on the motor 98F on the esc. Love the ESC, motor is ok.

Some pics!

With the mashers on very good tires, they fit the stock wheels nicely!
    New treads for the track! Got them from suprasales on ebay! $48 shipped!

time for some opinions again, after a run yesterday my spc pack looked like this, I don't remember hitting anythign with the side of the truck! Puffed lipo? Only three runs on this pack been storage charged more times than fully charged.

Looks to me like it was hit in the side, but I am not sure how that could happen in the revo battery compartment. voltage is 3.7 on each cell, it is now residing in a metal tub in the garage awaiting its fate! Pretty sure it is out of warranty or wouldn't be covered anyway being it was likely an impact.
    Last edited by rjm2519; 01-11-2013 at 05:01 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Email tom and see what he says. Or look at the lipo thread right below and pm jakey(that is tom at spc)