RC Enthusiast

Traxxas Big Bore with RC Raven duel rates yes or no???

I have an Emaxx mamba monster 2200kv running 6s. I havennt ran it in a while but I decided I want to get back into the hobby. I decided on transfering all parts to the FLM chassis soon once it comes in. I want to design the truck around high speed handling and bashing around the house with small jumping, no 30 footers or anything. I have RPM A Arms front and rear and some junk ebay aluminum shocks from Ebay that when you press down on the truck, the shocks dont rebound up and return to normal ride height. I am looking for an affordable shock around $60, which the Big Bores by Traxxas seem to offer. Are these still good technology since they have been around for a while or is there some latest and greatest craze. Also thought about upgrading springs to RC Raven dual rates and 50 wt shock oil. YES or NO, THOUGHTS????

RC Enthusiast
    18 views and no replies???

RC Champion
    what was the shocks from fleebay, maybe they just need stronger springs
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

RC Enthusiast
    They are from Boom Racing. I just noticed too that when I press down on the truck only the rear doesn't rebound which is strange. I played around with it and notice the rear a-arms are real stiff where the rod goes through to secure it to the arms. I may just pull it apart and lubricate the rods. I still want a good shock setup and something that looks pretty too lol!!

Traxxas BB's are a choice, the springs they come with are total garbage!
    RCRaven duel rates & 45~65wt oil on the BB's is a good combination.

Most definately clean/free up any binding in the suspension.

Shocks really don't change much, if your using the FLM or UE towers then you can use UE Supershock's or buggy rear shocks in either a 4 or 8 shock setup depending on how much you Maxx weighs loaded with batteries.

The downside is they cost more, $80 shipped for the UE supershocks(with springs,mounts & hardware) or try hitting up somne ebay auctions to try to score some buggy rear shock's cheapper but your still gonna need springs.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks Wildman for the great info. Looks like dual rates make the biggest difference in handling from what I am hearing so I will go pick up some pretty lime greeen dual rates from RC Raven and throw them on my boom racing specials LOL! Cant wait to transfer everything over to the FLM chassis and see hpw it goes.

RC Champion
    If your not jumping, big bores should be fine. they are pretty durable, but if you can get a deal on Ofna rear buggy shocks, they are much stronger than big bores.

Dont belive me, ask Popoxx, he killed like 6 big bores before he switched to Ofna, which are what super-shocks start out as before he mods them.
    Doublethink: 2+2=4 while 2+2=0

RC Enthusiast

RC Champion
    think so, be warned that you will need a FLM or UE shock tower and/or you will need to add spacers between the piston and the bottom of the shock because they're a little long.

RC Champion
    I'm not sure if those are right or not. You'd have to measure your stock shock and compare the length. Also like PTTM said, make sure you have (or order) what you need to mount them to the tower.

I have been trying to get a Ofna Hyper SC10 short course truck running. I can say that the shock for it feel really good and they are right at the same length as the stock shocks.

For a 4 shock set up a few guys are going with the Losi 8ight 2.0 buggy rear shocks.

I don't own any, but as far as Big Bore shocks go… They are really good for the money once you change out the weak springs.

RC Champion
    Ya, they arnt exactly right. The ones Im thinking of (popoxx's) are 4" and these are 5.25" I think, so maybe not, but if you have a FLM tower they would probably work

These are probably slightly better, cause theyre almost an inch shorter: 14mm front shocks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OFNA-Hyp...item35c011a53d

RC Champion
    or the 16mm front ones. not sure which springs will work.

UE supershocks start off as Ofna shocks I think, so maybe email them and ask which they use

RC Enthusiast
    Awesome info guys, thx! I'm just getting back into the hobby and buying a bunch if aluminum so I want this thing riding right. I ordered up the RC raven dual rates for now. $12 is worth a possible better suspension for my eBay shocks. I almost pulled the trigger on the strut towers when I was ordering my FLM chassis, front bulk, skid plates, hinge pins etc. They only list one strut tower on FLM's website. Are they good for front and rear so order quantity 2???

Here's a pic of the beast about to be transformed minus wheelie bar which was laying in the street at time of pic. No clue how it fell off?
    Last edited by lgtwhit; 09-30-2012 at 08:11 PM.

Those are the new style Ofna 16mm bore shocks, the Supershocks are the older 12mm bore.
    I have no clue as to the spring rate of the 16mm bore shocks.

5 1/4 overall is correct, that is why you need the Knucklehead or FLM towers.
    Supershock/12mm Ofna rear buggy shock on top & stock ultra below it.

The front buggy shocks don't work as well for off road as they have less travel then the BB/stock shocks.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerToTheMaxx View Post
    Ya, they arnt exactly right. The ones Im thinking of (popoxx's) are 4" and these are 5.25" I think, so maybe not, but if you have a FLM tower they would probably work

These are probably slightly better, cause theyre almost an inch shorter: 14mm front shocks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OFNA-Hyp...item35c011a53d

Those look a lot like the ones for my Hyper SC10, but mine have threaded bodies for tuning. I guess you add preload clips if needed.

My parts manual for the Hyper says the shock part # is 21140

RC Champion
    So you can use 5.25" shocks with FLM or UE towers?

Is the difference in length of the front/rear shocks in the body or the shaft or both?

Quote Originally Posted by PowerToTheMaxx View Post
    So you can use 5.25" shocks with FLM or UE towers?

Is the difference in length of the front/rear shocks in the body or the shaft or both?
    Yup, for the rear buggy 5.25" shocks you must use the FLM or UE towers for them to work correctly.

The difference is in both the shock bodies & the shock shafts.

There's a pic in the link, Traxxas BB's, Ofna front, Ofna rear shocks(Supershocks)
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post3416327

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Champion
    Ok, Do you have a part number on those UE towers, his website makes no sense to me, or can you not buy just the shock tower?

RC Champion
    are you looking for the racerX knuckle head towers or looking for something else.

RC Champion
    I didnt know there was more than one.

Something that will work with the stock bulks or FLM bulkes (I know stock isnt recommended).

RC Champion
    The ones i seen is the racerX knuckle head shock towers there half price now.

RC Champion
    Cool, thanks alot

RC Enthusiast
    So much for installing the dual rates from rc raven on the eBay shocks since the springs are too big, but looks like they will mount to my stock shocks. Should be interesting on how these will ride.

RC Enthusiast
    Actually looks are deceiving and for the dual rates to fit on the eBay shocks. I also figured out to switch the spring mount if that's what you call it from the stock shocks to the ebays and here we have it

RC Champion
    Keep us updated on how those wear and how long they last

RC Enthusiast
    Actually switched back the spring mount to the eBay mounts since the stock ones sit to high on the bottom of the strut causing too much compression. They fit but not perfect.

RC Champion
    Can you return them? Not all shocks work in all applications, obvouslly.

RC Enthusiast
    Aluminum shocks were purchases a couple years ago so no. I will decide what to do after the first run with the new build then maybe some traxxas big bore with the dual rates or some ofna buggys with FLM towers

RC Racer
    did you free up your suspension? Just a thought, it might be a bent hinge pin.

RC Champion
    If you ever come across some maxx power strokes on ebay buy them. Once in a while they turn up, but very very expensive.
    Last set i seen was still in package and went for over $120. with 18 bids not that long ago.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Brokenparts View Post
    did you free up your suspension? Just a thought, it might be a bent hinge pin.
    Actually stupid me no knowing put the stock pins in the FLM bulk in the rear. Took some time to bang them since they were frozen. I have since bought the FLM steel pins and test fitted and perfecto.

RC Champion
    Even FLM pins bend. Go with some ejector pins like Popoxx if you want super solid pins. I use steel barn nails, and theyre ok, but even they bend.

RC Champion
    When i got my truck i used to read about people bending the pins and thought how is it possible to bend them without breaking the bulks or arms. Then I bought some u.e. bulks and came to change over, took the pins out and couldn't believe how bent they were. The Ti ones seem to be ok, upto now.