RC Qualifier

Alternatives to the Losi Diff Mod

Are there any other alternatives to the Losi Diff mod...to make the e-revo diff stronger and more durable?

I'm asking cos I really don't want to shell out $100 for the two diffs (if you can find them) and then dremel in hopes of getting it to sit correctly in the bulkhead...and a newbie like me...would just screw it all to bits...

can someone tell me how this locked diff works (how does it install and go together and what is needed)?

RC Qualifier
    so i found this on the web...not sure if the mods in here will let me link another forum...so i'll just cut and paste...

i want to see if any of u guys have tried this...and is it as bullet proof as the author says it is...

"All the spider gears and pinion gears were deburred using minature files and a stiff wire brush on a Dremel to finish off.
    The gears were then test fitted into the new Hot Racing differential cases to check for binding and end play. Several aluminium differential cases were looked at and i decided on the Hot racing cases as they come with an heavy duty stainless steel end cap.
    once i was happy with the the gear mesh the gears were installed with some light gear oil tightened up the fitted into a battery drill and worked for a couple of minuets to bed the gears in.
    After everything had been stripped and cleaned again all was assembled for a last time using locktite and the oil was finally added 50wt for the front and 30wt for the rear.
    "

what the heck is this thing?

"These items are not required to be installed into the aluminium cases as they are to strengthen the plastic cases.
    Next the diff case assembly was fitted with Acer ceramic bearings and test fitted into the new RD Logics outer diff cases end play.
    Each diff required a single 10mm shimm installing behind the bearing on the stainless endcap.
    The drive pinion was then test fitted and both diff cases required 1 x 6mm shim installing behind the pinion.
    Both the ring gears and the pinions had the same deburring and bedding in treatment as the inner diff case once i was happy with the smooth function and fit a liberal coating of Gorilla Snawt was applied.
    "

RC Qualifier
    A locked diffential will increase your turning radius and cause your truck to push in turns. On concrete or in thick grass (especially under brushless power) you will shred your driveshafts. If you never left lose dirt you might be alright. I still don't recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by happymachinist View Post
    A locked diffential will increase your turning radius and cause your truck to push in turns. On concrete or in thick grass (especially under brushless power) you will shred your driveshafts. If you never left lose dirt you might be alright. I still don't recommend.

thanks for that info...i guess i won't be going that route...

RC Qualifier
    saw this on another site...tell me what u guys think about this...

"Revo diffs are not that good stock but will hold forever with the trx 3.3 if maintained properly.
    If you are looking for a great diff setup this is what i have in the big red .28 revo (stock diffs lasted 5 mins)
    Hot racing aluminium and stainless diff case
    part number: RVO1011CS06
    RRP pignon and ring gear
    party number: RRP8090 (hard to get hold of as rrp stoped making them but some online shops still have stock)

Thats a bullet proof revo diff setup
    "

RC Qualifier
    i had the hr diff cups and they also cracked after 1-2 months. my losi diffs still in tact. go losi.

RC Racer
    The only other alternative to losi diffs if you can find them are the rc-monster.com diff cups. They are rare as rocking horse s!@t and are just as costly. Last time i bought a pair they were about $250

I know its expensive but this hobby is, stick with the Losi diffs and if you never give the dremel a go how will you get better at it.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryEVO8 View Post
    I know its expensive but this hobby is, stick with the Losi diffs and if you never give the dremel a go how will you get better at it.
    +1 very good advice. Step just out of your comfort zone you might be surprised at what you can do. With each step your comfort zone will grow.

Mate...I have to agree with the Losi conversion...I have given mine some brutal tests
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    I run 6s and i tried the HR Diff cups, they just shredded, i actual put a hole in one.
    I Switched to FLM diff cups and Strc Diff housings and have yet to strip a diff on 6s. shimmed properly and greased well.

The flm diff cups are amazing, very good quality and also came anodized Red
    the STRC Diff housings are just as nice. the combination of both the cups and housings seems to gotten rid of all the flex since they are not plastic and i have not stripped a diff yet!
    RX8 Powered E-revo
    E-Slayer

RC Qualifier
    FLM = fastlane machine?...i tried looking up flm and got that...can u give me more info on this...sorry i'm a newbie and don't understand all the acronym yet...and if u can speak real slow...i would appreciate that...

Quote Originally Posted by afol2524 View Post
    I run 6s and i tried the HR Diff cups, they just shredded, i actual put a hole in one.
    I Switched to FLM diff cups and Strc Diff housings and have yet to strip a diff on 6s. shimmed properly and greased well.

The flm diff cups are amazing, very good quality and also came anodized Red
    the STRC Diff housings are just as nice. the combination of both the cups and housings seems to gotten rid of all the flex since they are not plastic and i have not stripped a diff yet!

RC Qualifier
    u guy's are probably correct on the whole losi diff thing...u guys are the ones with all the experience...it's just that...i'm not quite ready for that yet...i don't even understand half the stuff u guys are talking about...let alone try to dremel a bulk head to fit a losi diff...

but yeah...i get what you guys are saying...i've ordered robinson racing gear n pinion...and a hot racing diff cup...so...let me try that...and when it fails....in which i know it will...i'll try the losi diff cup...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by IvVaum View Post
    FLM = fastlane machine?...i tried looking up flm and got that...can u give me more info on this...sorry i'm a newbie and don't understand all the acronym yet...and if u can speak real slow...i would appreciate that...
    Fast lane machine diff cup.
    http://www.fastlanemachine.net/products.php?cat=16

STRC Diff case
    http://www.teamstrc.com/index.php?ro...product_id=207
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 09-27-2012 at 10:49 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Fan View Post
    now that's what i'm talking about...thank you soooo much!

RC Qualifier
    gosh...i knew i should have waited to hear from u guys instead of pulling the trigger...that fast lane diff looks pretty beefy...and they seem to make some pretty good products...

u guys are pretty awesome...i need to be more patient and do some serious research instead of just getting the first thing i think will work...i need to go with what ACTUALLY works from the experience of u guys...

i will be looking for a losi diff...i actually have three rear bulkhead just lying around....so....as i get this HR and RRP diff...i'll do the losi mod...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by IvVaum View Post
    u guy's are probably correct on the whole losi diff thing...u guys are the ones with all the experience...it's just that...i'm not quite ready for that yet...i don't even understand half the stuff u guys are talking about...let alone try to dremel a bulk head to fit a losi diff...
    Thats like me, but you learn as you move along and start to understand each part that you begin looking into in more dept. I was tired of my diffs going so I ordered some Losi diffs and modded them into the bulkhead. I don't have a dremel so instead i used files and chisels. It wasn't perfect and neat, but it worked and is still holding strong now
    So give it a try if you end up resulting into doing this mod, its worth it

RC Qualifier
    take a look at these...do u think these will fit the erbe bulkhead?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-UE-8-Spy...item53eee0bc58

RC Champion
    ^Those make the $100 Losi diff option look even better.

RC Racer
    Who knows maybe one day traxxas will make a reliable diff that will fit in thier own vehicle.........It's rediculous if you ask me.

RC Champion
    Don't say that out loud, Traxxas will resist, ignore, overlook, deny or lock down the idea even more. Hpi on the other hand did do something for their customers and redesigned the diffs for the HPI SAVAGE FLUX. Let's buy those instead of rebuilding 1/10 diffs. Traxxas should have a diff trade-in program at least.

RC Competitor
    Email response from UE for the $300 differentials mentioned above states they are "not even close to the same size as E-revo differential".

Here are 2 threads I started a while back. Traxxas diffs or Losi? and Recommndations on building an aluminium rear traxxis diff!. Losi diff diff came out on top all the time...people having been doing this mod from way back in the eRevo forum. I certainly recommend this route if you plan on running 6s.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BL-Bob View Post
    Don't say that out loud, Traxxas will resist, ignore, overlook, deny or lock down the idea even more. Hpi on the other hand did do something for their customers and redesigned the diffs for the HPI SAVAGE FLUX. Let's buy those instead of rebuilding 1/10 diffs. Traxxas should have a diff trade-in program at least.
    Shipping would cost me a fortune I go thru two weekly. I now get a return customer discount at my lhs sadly they know exactly what I'm looking for the minute I step across the threshold.
    ERBE,Losi 8ight,Slash 4X4

RC Qualifier
    i am sooooo sick and tired of this diff thingy...makes me totally hate traxxas...why sell the mamba monster kit if ur not willing to spend the time developing parts that will handle the power?...stupid stupid stupid!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Stop badgering traxxas
    And start pushing the aftermarket shops to make bulkheads to suit losi diffs in a revo
    Then traxxas might look into it. But I would not hold my breathe

Maybe also pushing this on other general forums might get the word out more than
    Just locked into a traxxas forum
    U need to spread the word on other forums that erevo diffs suk then someone will do something
    Cause people might stop buying them

RC Competitor
    I run 6s, bash hard and dont have problem with the original differentials.

RC Qualifier
    yeah

so we re like some people wo dont know what else to do with $100 and also with all these tools sitting down not being used and all this time to spend for nothing :P

unless you have tiny wheels on your truck, your esc has bad throttle endpoints, one of your batteries is shorted, your batts are like 15c, = your statement has 1 or more lies into it heh

jk i m just bored...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by BL-Bob View Post
    Dont know if Savage flux is any better, my cousin bought one and broke 2 diffs in a few runs. Sold it after that & the guy how bought it from him called back after two weeks had broken his diff 3 times.

RC poster
    the stock diffs simply cannot handle brushless power. i know everything has a weak spot, but the diffs is a terrible spot to have it. anytime they break it's a major repair both cost and time wise. i'd rather snap a drive shaft (something cheap and can be fixed in the field) then have the diff explode. i'm really disappointed in the e-revo. traxxas does not remedy the issue and no aftermarket companies are doing anything with it either. so that leaves people to try and figure it out themselves. the losi diff mod is "okay" at best. having to dremel your bulkheads paper thin isn't something i plan on doing nor would i recommend anyone doing so. there needs to be better options.

RC Qualifier
    i tried to complain to traxxas...but...that thread got deleted...and umm....i was kinda surprised that i wasn't banned or something like that...oh well...keep it coming...

RC Racer
    Traxxas should make som new diffs and bulkheads(to fit bigger diffs) for the brushless revo, but guess they make more off selling parts to rebuild the old diff.

RC Qualifier
    I was deleted...way to listen to customer feed back.But then again haven't changed any design yet so just easier to delete threads and move on...nothing to see here just that dead horse that keeps getting beaten....
    ERBE,Losi 8ight,Slash 4X4

RC Qualifier
    "beatings will continue until conformity is achieved"...ha ha...i believe that was one of the members here's motto...or at least that was what i remembered...