RC Racer

help with vxl cooling fan

i am trying to find an esc fan for my vxl esc for running in the sand. i had the vxl cooling fan and it locked up with grit adn stuff. where can i find an esc fan that wont lock up like that. I am also looking at the castle creations sct race pro. it has the mamba max pro esc and the 1410 motor the esc has a built in cooling fan and im not sure if the esc fan will lock up when i run it in the sand.

RC Competitor
    I should start with the fan inside out. Instead of let the blower blow air to the cooling ribs. Let the blower blow the hot air away from the ESC, including the dust.
    Its worth to try.
    Slash 2WD lcg Chuckworks & 4WD lcg Traxxas
    Summit

RC Enthusiast
    I made my own shroud out of those recyclable reusable shopping bags. Then above the fan I cut a square hold and glued 2 layeres of fly screen, which criss crossed making the holes smaller, and eliminating most opportunities for sand to get it.

Sides were kept down with velcros superglued to the body and fabric.

Let me tell you - it worked a treat. Ran it last weekend in the sand dunes. Stayed cool and little if no sand got in under the shroud. Was well impressed.

Checkit

If it isn't broke, try to break it.

RC Racer
    2 problems. i cannot mount the fan upsidedown to blow away from the esc and the fan gets grit under the blades and locks up. grit between the fan and the holder it the problem. or clean it add a dry lube and an outerwears chassis cover and call that good. but with the chassis cover where does the esc wires come out? Or just run without the fan on it and watch the esc temps and motor temps. just need to get a nice infared temp gun.

RC Qualifier
    If it is a velineon fan you can take it out and make it upside down. There are 2 clips on each side that you move out of the way.
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4