Thread: 17mm hex hubs

RC Racer

17mm hex hubs

So what I did is I got the Proline '56 Ford F-100 body for the 2.5 maxx. the measurements looked like they weren't too big but even with the protrac kit I need to go a little bit wider. (I'm doing Rag6's $5 extensions for the extra length.) I'm getting Ofna's mt3 splits full offset rims and streching my trenchers on them. The help I'm asking from you all is with having the protrac kit do I need to get a 17mm adapter set for a 4x4 slash/stampede because the front and rear are the same width now? and why can't I find them in red?
    Started XL-5 now VXL-XL! and spare parts XL-5

RC Champion
    Absolutely not. You want the 2wd kit because it speaks to the specific length of your front and rear stub axles

RC Qualifier
    You want the 4x4 kit if you want the track to be the same front and rear. 2wd and 4wd have the same length axles. The adapter length is the only thing that changes. If you put the 2wd adapter set on Protrac, the front will be about 1/4" wider than the rear. A buddy of mine is running the 2wd adapters on his Pede 4x4, just because he had them from a previous 2wd build.

RC Champion
    My bad, I was pretty sure the 4x4 had stubby stub axles all the way around, whereas the 2wd definitely has longer stub axles in the front.

RC Qualifier
    Nope Nope Nope!!! Oaks is correct!! If run 4x4 hex then you will have to run front offset and rear standard just like stock. With the 2wd hex+Protrac you can run the same offset wheels way round........
    Well I was just eat'n sum pede and drink-n a slash

RC Qualifier
    I just remember something. 4x4 hubs would not fit on the front of my pede.(trx brand)
    Well I was just eat'n sum pede and drink-n a slash

The help I'm asking from you all is with having the protrac kit do I need to get a 17mm adapter set for a 4x4 slash/stampede because the front and rear are the same width now?
    Aren't we assuming Stodz is putting the Pro-trac suspension on his truck? If so, the width will be the same for front and rear, so he should use the 4x4 17mm adapters.

My bad, I was pretty sure the 4x4 had stubby stub axles all the way around, whereas the 2wd definitely has longer stub axles in the front.
    Oaks is correct here, the 4x4's are the same size, and the 2wd adapters are different lengths. I think everyone who posted above is correct, we just think the OP is talking about something different.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Champion
    OG I can totally appreciate where you are coming from. I need to apologize, didn't mean to come in acting holier than thou. And because of it, this thread fell way off course. - especially from a technical aspect. A lot of mis information and right off the bat. So
    Let's take it from the top.

Protract fronts aren't the same as rears.

My exact view point is that Trx adapters were designed to cover the entire stub to the threads, and the retainer nut backed up to the collar of the stub. I never asked which adapters the op was considering.

My only thing about the docs post was that the quarter inch using protrac and Trx adapters being more narrow got me a little defensive. Sorry. But the neg rear toe makes it look that way

And that's where I'm going to leave it as far as my input unless the op wants Trx adapters, and then I'd recommend the 2wd kit.

Peace
    Last edited by Oaks; 09-28-2012 at 12:06 AM.

RC Racer
    I'm sorry for causing such a stir. Sometimes what I'm thinking doesn't come out the way others understand it. Anyways I do have the protrac kit on my p2de and all my rims are front off set. I did find some STRC adapters in red, but the reviews on amainhobbies people were less then impressed. AKA was mentioned so I bought a set of AKA 17mm adapters for the 2wd slash but in black. If the width is different from front and back AKA sells them in packs of front or back. If it's off I will just buy the front or back to make it even out, whichever ones I need I'll post back to let others know.

Quote Originally Posted by Stodz View Post
    Sometimes what I'm thinking doesn't come out the way others understand it.
    This is how I feel sometimes. Anyway we're all friends here.

I like the AKA and TRX adapters the best. Been using the AKA's for a long time but tried the TRX and liked 'em.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Goes like this, if it replaces the hex......then you'll use 2wd with long and short pairs to replace the rear/short and front/long wheel hex. If your hazing a brand that covers the hex, it would be the same size all around, because the hex is still there diffing the front/rear difference. .
    I use AKA, TRX, and Tekno, all work well for me. Current basher
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Racer
    Update:
    If you have the protrac kit on your p2de and are replacing the hexes (just like dread said above) you will need the 2wd adapter kit to keep everything even.

I want to thank you all who have helped out
    and an extra thanks to Rag6 for the $5 extension mod
    and pavemntsurfer for mounting smaller beads on larger rims
    and thedreadedend for the step by step 2.8trenchers on 3.8ofna split rims

now all i have to do is trim, paint and mount the f100 body

RC Racer

RC Champion
    Looks awesome Stodz! Glad the 2wd adapters worked out for you, the combo with the ofnas look wide especially with the stock body, still one of my faves