Thread: ESC upgrades

RC Competitor

ESC upgrades

Hi, everybody. I'm kinda new to the whole RC hobby, I just got into it when I bought my Slash a couple weeks ago, so I have some questions. What I want to know is what the advantage of swapping the esc out is. I understand that you can get better performance by swapping motors, but what benefit do you get from swapping the esc? What I was thinking is upgrading to a Tekin or maybe a Novak motor, but would I be losing anything by hooking them up to the stock VXL-3s esc? Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    The vxl won't run some of the popular motors, and also you're limited to a maximum input of 11.1v

RC Racer
    Think of the esc as the amplifier for the sub in your car. You can buy a 1000 watt sub, but without the proper amp to run it, it will sound like crap.
    Backslash 4x4
    FLM Rustler

RC Competitor
    So the major advantage of swapping the esc is that you can run bigger motors and bigger batteries than with the stock ones. Does anybody know if the VXL esc will support a 4.5t Tekin SC4X (http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-550-Motor-45T) or should I just save up for the combo and waterproof the new esc?

RC Champion
    From personal experience the VXL esc will run the VXL 3500 motor OK on 2s dont expect it to last long on 3s.
    I see more folks keeping the motor than I do keeping the ESC. My advice if the combo isnt cutting the mustard is to replace it all. Most ESCs are splash proof, personally I dont run mine through water although I will run it when ithe surface is a little wet.

RC Competitor
    I like the VXL combo as is, but then again, I'm new the hobby and don't have any experience other than YouTube videos. I do run it on 2s, so the VXL will be good for now. I want to get a feel for the whole thing and set myself on kind of a learning curve before I step up to bigger batteries and bigger motor/esc combos. I think that "splash proof" will be good enough for this truck, since I toasted some bearings and the slipper with beach sand when I drove it down at/into the lake (I'm gonna get an Axial SCX10 Honcho for the next time I decide to do that). But is "splash proof" good enough for snow?

Quote Originally Posted by pfleeger2010 View Post
    I like the VXL combo as is, but then again, I'm new the hobby and don't have any experience other than YouTube videos. I do run it on 2s, so the VXL will be good for now. I want to get a feel for the whole thing and set myself on kind of a learning curve before I step up to bigger batteries and bigger motor/esc combos. I think that "splash proof" will be good enough for this truck, since I toasted some bearings and the slipper with beach sand when I drove it down at/into the lake (I'm gonna get an Axial SCX10 Honcho for the next time I decide to do that). But is "splash proof" good enough for snow?
    Actually it is water proof. But you have to worry about bearings and rust and debris when driving on the beach
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Competitor
    I've been looking into the whole waterproofing thing and one of the things I found about the bearings is that, to waterproof them pack them with marine grease. Luckily for me, there's an ice cream bucket in the shed full of marine grease. That should keep them rust free and smooth for quite some time. Thanks guys, you've all been a big help!