Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

MM 2200 upgrade pics

The motor arrived and has been installed, started with 16/54 gearing on 3s and it was a dog, 18/54 a little better, I have a 22p on the way and I will pick up a 50 t spur at my lhs later on. Ran it on 18/54 and no heat issues whatsoever. Aluminum motor mount, Proline shocks and spring set should be here within the week.

Upgrades:

MM aka "the beast"

Proline F150 SVD Raptor Flotec

RC Qualifier
    Like that body alot!!
    You wont need the fan on the motor!!
    Get some mod1 gears
    I run 15/38. It's a beast on 4s. My motor wont break 125 degrees no matter how hard i run it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Looking good man, I love my raptor body. I see you have the same rubbing issues as me with that body and trenchers. The paint wore off the lower corner of the front bumper on my body too.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by robdog View Post
    Like that body alot!!
    You wont need the fan on the motor!!
    Get some mod1 gears
    I run 15/38. It's a beast on 4s. My motor wont break 125 degrees no matter how hard i run it!!

The 38 spur works with the revo slipper clutch? I used 22/50 and the motor got hot

At 15/38 your gear ratio is 7.22 which is approximately the same as 20/50 or 7.12. At 22/50 ratio is 6.47, on 3s it was plenty. Going to try 22/54 which is 6.99.
    Last edited by Dgb007; 09-26-2012 at 08:23 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Remember those tooth counts are for mod 1 gearing which is e-revo/nitro revo gearing.

They will always have a lower tooth count.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabun View Post
    Remember those tooth counts are for mod 1 gearing which is e-revo/nitro revo gearing.

They will always have a lower tooth count.
    Seems to me the mod 1 will result in lower final gear ratio (numerically larger), hence lower speeds. So what's the advantage?

RC Qualifier
    Will 22/54 work? I run 21/54 and its a squeeze. There is not much if any extra room for adjustment

RC Qualifier
    Will 22/54 work? I run 21/54 and its a squeeze. There is not much if any extra room for adjustment
    Not sure, 22/52 does, did it today

RC Qualifier
    Let me know if it does work, I'm interested

RC Qualifier
    Just tried it, fits

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgb007 View Post
    Just tried it, fits
    Interesting... Now will my 2400 like it lol

RC Qualifier
    Interesting... Now will my 2400 like it lol
    I did melt a bearing doing it.....

RC Qualifier
    Which bearing?

RC Qualifier
    Which bearing?
    The one in the center of the spur gear

RC Qualifier
    nice truck dgb007

RC Racer
    Awesome bro!!!! I'm jealous, but not for long I'm sending my vxl in to upgrade too. Gonna call traxxas and see if I can trade in the vxl in person because they are 45 minutes away. If they say yes I'm picking it up tomorrow.

RC Champion
    you're fan is facing the wrong direction. Time for 4s!
    Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E SCT410

RC Qualifier
    The 38 spur works with the revo slipper clutch? I used 22/50 and the motor got hot

At 15/38 your gear ratio is 7.22 which is approximately the same as 20/50 or 7.12. At 22/50 ratio is 6.47, on 3s it was plenty. Going to try 22/54 which is 6.99.
    Smaller pinion=lower heat. I am pretty sure that why. Yes it fits on revo slipper. Lastly, still plenty of room to gear up.

RC Racer
    I have a question about the mamba monster upgrade. Did they send you the esc mounting plate with the esc or did you buy that yourself?
    Rally GT8 4x4 in progress.
    FLM Rustler

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by skynex721 View Post
    I have a question about the mamba monster upgrade. Did they send you the esc mounting plate with the esc or did you buy that yourself?
    Yeah I'm upset about that one, I asked them if it came with the castle link USB adapter, their response was it comes with everything a regular one does. Come to find out it does not come with the castle link USB, the one from castle does. It does comes with the esc mount, I had also purchased that prior thinking it did not, I'm 0-2.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by skynex721 View Post
    Awesome bro!!!! I'm jealous, but not for long I'm sending my vxl in to upgrade too. Gonna call traxxas and see if I can trade in the vxl in person because they are 45 minutes away. If they say yes I'm picking it up tomorrow.
    IMO just buy one on you own, they charge 255 and it does not come with the castlelink USB, that will cost you another 28, so you are at 283, NIB it is 300 and you trade in your old motor and esc. I was upside down because my motor was shot, if yours is fine sell it then buy the MM. It will cost you less and you get more.

RC Racer
    IMO just buy one on you own, they charge 255 and it does not come with the castlelink USB, that will cost you another 28, so you are at 283, NIB it is 300 and you trade in your old motor and esc. I was upside down because my motor was shot, if yours is fine sell it then buy the MM. It will cost you less and you get more.
    That is a good point. My vxl system runs perfectly, I will take your advise and sell it. Thanks man.
    Rally GT8 4x4 in progress.
    FLM Rustler

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by SLW-SVT View Post
    What happen if the fan is facing this way?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by maestro View Post
    What happen if the fan is facing this way?
    Nothing

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SLW-SVT View Post
    Doesn't matter which way it faces, but why did you say it is facing the wrong direction?

RC Qualifier
    Received upgrade parts last night: aluminum motor mount for telemetry and clear cover. Only received rear shocks, fronts on the way

Last edited by Dgb007; 09-27-2012 at 11:54 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Finally received the Proline shocks and additional springs, I really like a stiff setup so I am starting with the reds. Do some test runs tomorrow and change if I see the need. Any comments are appreciated

Last edited by Dgb007; 09-30-2012 at 01:43 AM.
    Slash 4X4, MM 2200kv
    MIP CVD
    Tekno Bigbone

RC Enthusiast
    Nice setup where did you get the reciever box to mount behind the front tower?

RC Qualifier
    It's for a revo, lhs
    Slash 4X4, MM 2200kv
    MIP CVD
    Tekno Bigbone

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by D-wreck View Post
    Nice setup where did you get the reciever box to mount behind the front tower?
    Waterproof Receiver Box (#3628)

RC Qualifier
    Thanks, I was too tired to look up the PN.
    Slash 4X4, MM 2200kv
    MIP CVD
    Tekno Bigbone

RC Racer
    Thanks, I was too tired to look up the PN.
    No problem.
    BTW: Awesome setup!

Sent from Mars Curiosity.

RC Champion
    If you want to get up high on the pinion it will require going down on the spur. I just went to 50T on the spur and called it a day. I can tune from there with pinions. Have a 23T in there now and still room for larger but dont think I will try it.
    The stock center bearing and slipper shaft bearing adaptor are probably the worst desgin flaws of thse trucks. Guaranteed to wear down/burn up no matter what you are running its just a matter of time. For the stock chassis I recommened the King Headz motor mount and slipper shaft bearing adaptor. The bearing is oversized and the adaptor is aluminum instead of plastic. If you are running center diff the same rules apply as the center diff plastic housing is going to wear down, no ifs ands or buts so replace it with an aluminum housing. FLM makes a nice one but they are hard to find. I found one here

RC Qualifier
    The red springs were way too stiff, going to bring it down some. The ride is great on asphalt, but no give on my ramp or on bumpy terrain...I'll keep ya posted
    Slash 4X4, MM 2200kv
    MIP CVD
    Tekno Bigbone

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    If you want to get up high on the pinion it will require going down on the spur. I just went to 50T on the spur and called it a day. I can tune from there with pinions. Have a 23T in there now and still room for larger but dont think I will try it.
    The stock center bearing and slipper shaft bearing adaptor are probably the worst desgin flaws of thse trucks. Guaranteed to wear down/burn up no matter what you are running its just a matter of time. For the stock chassis I recommened the King Headz motor mount and slipper shaft bearing adaptor. The bearing is oversized and the adaptor is aluminum instead of plastic. If you are running center diff the same rules apply as the center diff plastic housing is going to wear down, no ifs ands or buts so replace it with an aluminum housing. FLM makes a nice one but they are hard to find. I found one here
    Thanks, that actually doesn't look half bad. I really want a slipper instead of a center diff. Appreciate it though
    Slash 4X4, MM 2200kv
    MIP CVD
    Tekno Bigbone

RC Qualifier
    Just replace the slipper bearing adapter with an aluminum one, and use the revo slipper set-up and you'll be golden

RC Qualifier
    Just replace the slipper bearing adapter with an aluminum one, and use the revo slipper set-up and you'll be golden
    Problem is my lhs is out of 5x11 bearings, using the center diff until then
    Slash 4X4, MM 2200kv
    MIP CVD
    Tekno Bigbone

RC Champion
    One of the first things I did was buy a complete bearing kit and a few extras of the uncommon ones. Sucks getting stuck with running in a way you dont really want to.

The center diff gets a bad wrap from alot of folks. Leaving everything stock with grease in the differentials Ill will agree, it does suck. Cleaning out the grease and filling them with oil and using different weights you can tune how you want the diferential to act. The biggest problem is too much power going to the front wheels. Power will take the path of least resistance in the differentials. I run 10K in the front, 30K in the center and 5k in the rear. Once I get past the initial squat on a hole shot it levels out nicely and gives better steering under power in and out of turns. I went out and bought a nice array of oil and made changes until I was happy with how it reacted under heavy throttle.

RC Qualifier
    So the PL PowerStroke shocks are great, had to move the position from 3 to 2 on the front and 4 to 3 on rear, green primary red secondary seems to work the best prolly because the Mm and mip are so heavy. When I when to softer springs I rubbed on the body and bottomed out on jumps.
    Slash 4X4, MM 2200kv
    MIP CVD
    Tekno Bigbone

if your motor is getting hot, the blower needs more air. you might consider cutting some holes in the windshield and out the back to increase the airflow.
    the other thing is, 50/22 equates to a 2.272 pinion/spur ratio
    38/15 ratio equates to a 2.533 ratio...which doesn't seem like alot, but it can make a significant difference. i think that might be why you're running hot...you need more airflow, and you might be a tad overgeared. my 2200 won't go over 125-130 degrees no matter how hard i push it.
    (2)RC8TEs, RC8.2E (2)slash 4x4 2650 pede 3800