RC poster

Up in Flames II (Hi Money pitů)

Up in Flames II (Hi Money pitů)
    Hi everyone,
    I drove an r/c for the first time in 20 years this afternoon. An ERBE of all things. Wow. I bought the car off EBay with lots of goodies on it:

Integy aluminium steering assembly
    RPM arms all around
    Extra chassis plate
    Steel CVD's
    Traxxas Exo-Carbon rear wing
    Integy Aluminium front Bumper
    Extra T-Bone front bumper
    Traxxas Aluminium Pushrods
    Traxxas Sway Bars
    Aluminium Rear Shock Tower
    Integy Aluminium Servo cages
    RPM Hubs

I had been running it for about half an hour when the MM caught fire. Does the ESC need to be told its running S6 rather than S4? Would 23/54 gearing have caused any issues? What about the low voltage cut out? Could that have been incorrectly set? It cut through the cables right at the base of the ESC. I had not been doing anything serious with it. Would a slipping slipper clutch cause anything bad? Does the ESC need to be told its running S6? What about low voltage issues?

Where should I be looking on the net to get new bits?

Regards,
    Mike
    Last edited by Mike..; 09-26-2012 at 06:55 AM.

RC Champion
    I dont think any of those should be factors you should call castle though and they will help you get a new esc.sometimes these escs just catch on fire

Sent from inside the matrix
    sppppaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaccccccccceeeeeeeeee!!!!!

23/54 is geared for about 80mph on 6S even if the tires don't balloon. If they do...100mph.
    With all due respect to zonda95, yeah, that may have been part of the problem.

Except for LVC purposes there is no reason to tell the ESC anything about the batteries. And regarding that, do you have a Castle Link device so that you can program the LVS and all the other parameters.

Loose slipper burns the slipper. That's all.

eBay? Shipping to Australia is a bear.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = ░

RC poster
    Thanks zonda95. I have contacted Castle via email. I'll let everyone know what they have to say. ksb51rl, regarding gearing, is this because of the amps it pulls at low motor rpm to get going? And yes, you should see the eBay shipping rates

Yes. That would be an awful lot of amps to pull if you were running it hard for a half hour. What tires were you running? My calculations were made using the stock Talons.

RC Champion
    ok true I didnt see the gearing part but most of the stuff about telling it 4s or 6s shouldn't be a factor because you cant. IIRC calling castle is generally better.
    sppppaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaccccccccceeeeeeeeee!!!!!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    23/54 is geared for about 80mph on 6S even if the tires don't balloon. If they do...100mph.
    With all due respect to zonda95, yeah, that may have been part of the problem.

Except for LVC purposes there is no reason to tell the ESC anything about the batteries. And regarding that, do you have a Castle Link device so that you can program the LVS and all the other parameters.

Loose slipper burns the slipper. That's all.

eBay? Shipping to Australia is a bear.
    so if 23/54 will do 80 what will 24/54 do? That's what I put on my revo last night and blew out both rear tires. At least I will have a rrason to tape the tires now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hndacbr6 View Post
    so if 23/54 will do 80 what will 24/54 do? That's what I put on my revo last night and blew out both rear tires. At least I will have a rrason to tape the tires now.
    http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html
    All yours to calculate. Obviously, the 80 & 100 were theoretical. Above 40-45 mph real world factors play havoc with speed estimators.

RC Competitor
    I was skeptical about the 80mph part.

A temp gun is kind of a must have.....

Hot motor + cool esc = under geared.
    Cool motor + hot esc = over geared
    Everything warm just right..

Motor ~ 180/190*F (82/88*C) maximum, ideally 140/160*F (60/71*C), temps can be 10*F higher inside the motor
    ESC ~ pretty much same temps / Fan comes on @ 150*F (65*C)
    Lipo's ~ 140*F (60*C) max, ideally 100/120*F (38/49*C).........

Diff ratio

4s = 40 mph
    5s = 50 mph
    6s = 60 mph

change the cell count, spur & pinion count, & tire size.

BrianG speed chart:

http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html

Import this:

Differential Ratio: 2.8461538461538463
    Transmission Ratio: 1.8333333333333333
    Other Ratio: 1
    Spur Tooth Count: 54
    Pinion Tooth Count: 21
    Total Voltage: 22.20
    Motor KV: 2200
    Tire Diameter (inches): 5.9
    Tire Ballooning (inches): 0
    Motor Current Draw: 0
    Motor Coil Resistance: 0.006
    Spur/Pinion Ratio: 3 : 1
    Total Ratio: 15.65385 : 1
    Tire Circumference (inches): 18.54 inches (470.8 mm)
    Rollout: 1.18:1
    Total Motor Speed: 48840 RPM
    Vehicle Speed: 54.76 mph (87.97 km/h)
    Effective KV Value: 2200
    KT constant: 0.61 oz-in/A
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Qualifier
    Hi Mike, welcome. I have been waiting for you. Come in, we have cookies.

Unfortunately, since you bought it used, there is no warranty. The flat rate for replacement is 70 dollars, and a bec (if you had one) is 12. You get a 1 year warranty for the new one. Keep all of your connectors, you will not get them back. I was forced to get new Traxxas connectors because mine turned into a pudddle of goo from the heat. I would call castle, their emailing can be very unpredictable. If you talk to Charles, I think it was, tell him that i sent you They are very nice representatives, Just remember to fill out the service request form on the website and put it in the box. Also if you have a multimeter, set it to ohms and touch the motor wire a to b, a to c, and b to c. You want the reading to be the same for all of them, whatever reading it is doesnt matter. If you don't have a multimeter you can spin the motor with your fingers and touch two of the wires together, if you feel more resistance when turning, do it to the others a-b. a-c, b-c, and then all 3 together. If there is no change in resistance then i would consider sending the motor in for checking also. they will do it for free, but shipping will be more on your end. when you get it back it will need some soldering, so if you don't know how, it is time to learn. Squrrielod on youtube is a good place to start. Sorry about your loss, and hope you get back to driving again soon.
    Last edited by Money pit; 09-26-2012 at 05:18 PM.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own!

@ 87 GN: I'm still not sure why you choose 3.7 volts per cell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.. View Post
    And yes, you should see the eBay shipping rates
    I feel your pain mate...I don't even want to think of the 1K$ + I have spent on shipping fees buying parts from the States.

Welcome to the forums...unfortunately I am in Brissy otherwise we could of had a few gnarly bashing sessions . Good luck with the repairs.
    Rock n Rolla !

3.7v nominal.........if you input 4.20v it will get you about another 5 mph.....about...
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Qualifier
    I was told by the rep for SPC lipo batteries to set all castle ESC's at 3.6 for cutoff. This prevents any damage to batteries. Should also help esc. Shortens the run time a little but rather safe than sorry. SPC is also running deals on 3s 5400 mah right now that fit. Perfectly in the Erbe

Beatings will continue until compliance is gained
    uh oh.... that didn't sound good

RC poster
    Thank you to everyone who has posted above. At least this is a chance to buy some goodies for it. When anything interesting happens I'll let you all know.

Anyone know where I can get a good 30vDC power supply from?

RC Racer
    I know they can be gotten from amainhobbies Mike, i live in perth and the only one i have found is this one and its costly

http://www.hyperionaustralia.com.au/?stg=1284&view=1284
    Or its big brother
    http://www.hyperionaustralia.com.au/?stg=1285&view=1285

What charger are you running.

RC poster
    Thanks AngryEVO8,
    That is what I had in mind (they look very high quality actually). I'm also thinking about 2 or 3 normal 12v car batteries in series with a trickle charger to keep them topped up. The LiPo charger is the PowerLab 8 knockoff from Hobby King (the Fatboy 8).