RC Qualifier

Differences on this 2 Motors

What is the differences between the Spartan stock motor Valineon VXL 540 and the Leopard 4082 motor? Although they are both 1600kv, is there a differences on the performance between this two? I've seen a lot of people using the Leopard as common upgrade. Why?
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC Qualifier
    The 1600kv means that both motors will run the same RPM. The big difference is the leopard has more power or torque. It can thus turn props that have more pitch giving you more speed. I run this motor in both boats.

RC Qualifier
    You mean I could put bigger props? What props should work good without hurting the esc, I bought a **** it will arrive on my mail next week.

RC Qualifier
    If you are running the stock esc I would only run a Prather 215 or an Octura 442. I would consider upgrading your ESC with the Leopard motor. I run the Seaking 180 in both boats and this will handle the larger props. My sons boat has hit 67.8 mph with this set-up and an Octura 447 prop. I also have the Octura 448 prop but the lake has not been calm enough to test this prop. Good luck with your set-up.

Please take note that several brand and product names that were previously allowed have now been blocked by our language filter. These come from the banned website based out of Hong Kong. Discussing these will no longer be allowed on the Traxxas forum and will be treated just like mention of the website they come from has been for some time now. We appreciate your cooperation on this in future posts. This prohibition includes not only links and references, but graphic representations as well.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Also, the original Velineon(version 1) Spartan was a 2 pole motor, the Leopard is a 4 pole motor.

Velineon is 3674 1600kv (36mm diameter x 74mm length)
    Leopard is 4082 1600kv (40mm diameter x 82mm length)

As SJS has pointed out the larger can size will give you more power, and the 4 pole design will be more efficient. Unloaded RPM will be the same.

The new Castle motor is a 4 pole motor, but still 3674 size and running 1800kv.

If you upgrade to the 4082 Leopard, you will need to purchase a new cooling jacket to fit the larger motor.

hog

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Everyone OSE sell it with a free cooling jacket
    I will upgrade my stuffing tube as well same thing on the flex cable, hope it will make a solid set-up.

RC Qualifier
    What connectors are you guys running for this set-up? Are the trx ones ok or do you recommend the ec5's?
    E Revo brushless, XO-1, Nitro 4 tec 3.3, HPI RS4

RC Qualifier
    I run the EC5's, but I believe some are running stock Traxxas connectors with no problems on this setup.

hog

RC Qualifier
    I'm planning for the ec5 as well, it is a bullet connector but I need to figure out how to connect on those wires. This look funny sorry for Traxxas I did a 70% upgrade on their parts, I only have the original servo, hull, trx, rx.

Hog how to connect the plug to the wires? Did you solder it? I don't have an idea cause I didn't receive my batteries which will arrive soon, I have to drop by at my LHS to grab the Ec5.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 09-27-2012 at 07:25 PM. Reason: post merge

RC Qualifier
    Yes, you will need to solder the connectors onto the wires.

If you are not skilled at soldering, do a web / you tube search for instruction videos.

Hog