RC Enthusiast

Looking to buy a new battery for my slash 2X4 and need some help please

Hey everyone I'm new to the RC world and I have gotten a lipo battery but not I want more speed out of one. I don't know what Lipo to get. Currently I have a 4000mah 40c 7.4

But I want more power. So what size lipo should I get?

RC Enthusiast
    iam using a 3200mah 3s 30c lipo in mine and its way faster than the 2s 4000mah 30c lipo i have so i understand why you want to go faster. are you running the standard esc and motor if you are you might want to upgrade them first as they wont last long on 3s lipo`s as ive read and seen the esc and motor just cant cope with the extra power even thought they say it can.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-22-2011 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Bypassing the Language Filter

RC Qualifier
    IMHO, go 3s lipo. 3s will make it much much faster and powerful. It will start wearing out parts.

In my slash I run the ******* 3s lipo. It's a 4500mah battery with a 35c cont and 70c burst discharge. If you are running a system such as the vxl I would not suggest a battery of less then 100 amp cont discharge. Something such as a 5000mah 20c battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    I don't know all the lingo with everything yet but my slash is a 2X4 brushless

thanks for the help!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron002 View Post
    I don't know all the lingo with everything yet but my slash is a 2X4 brushless

thanks for the help!
    I'm with him, I have no idea what the 30c means or discharge rate or anything like that. I've been weighing my options for switching to lipo myself, but i just don't know enough about it to make an educated purchase.

RC Champion
    The "c" rating refers to how many times a battery could discharge its capacity in an hour. The essential thing is from this you can deduce how many amps of current it can deliver to the motor. You do this by multiplying the capacity in amp hours the C rating. E.g. 5000 mah 30c battery can deliver 150 amps of current (5000/1000 x 30). You do not want your battery to be the limiting factor so it's better to have more amps available than needed if possible.
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    Quote Originally Posted by stuartd View Post
    ... are you running the standard esc and motor if you are you might want to upgrade them first as they wont last long on 3s lipo`s...
    You do not have to upgrade to run on 3s. Ignorantly abusing the stock vxl electronics is why they fail. Keep your motor and esc temps below 180, and that system will do just fine on 3s. Some people think that they can just gear for 70 mph and romp on the throttle all day with no consequences, and then blame the motor or esc for not handling it. Get a temp gauge, and let the system cool when it gets above 160. Harbor freight has them for about $15.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I'm not running a vxl, but I'm two years deep on this motor. If you run your truck without overheating it, the electronics and motor will last for years on end.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolf View Post
    The "c" rating refers to how many times a battery could discharge its capacity in an hour. The essential thing is from this you can deduce how many amps of current it can deliver to the motor. You do this by multiplying the capacity in amp hours the C rating. E.g. 5000 mah 30c battery can deliver 150 amps of current (5000/1000 x 30). You do not want your battery to be the limiting factor so it's better to have more amps available than needed if possible.
    Very helpful, thank you

RC Qualifier
    To really simplify it think of it like this....Mah is kinda like how much total fuel is in your tank. 2S,3S,4S is like Regular Unleaded vs Alcohol vs Nitro Methane. 20C, 25C, 40C would be your fuel injector size/pump pressure. (How much fuel can get to the motor)
    XO-1, Roadrunner Slash

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by judgegixxer View Post
    To really simplify it think of it like this....Mah is kinda like how much total fuel is in your tank. 2S,3S,4S is like Regular Unleaded vs Alcohol vs Nitro Methane. 20C, 25C, 40C would be your fuel injector size/pump pressure. (How much fuel can get to the motor)
    Ok, this is in terms that i understand. (being a former grease monkey)

All that being said, could i run a 3s with a 5xl controller? or is that too much? I have grand dreams of going brushless some day and don't want to keep upgrading batteries every time, if i could do batteries now to figure out and get used to while i decide if/when is the best time for the brushless

RC Champion
    Schuby, have a read of this recent thread on Lipos and "C" ratings as I think it will probably answer most of your queries.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...clear-on-LiPos

As long as you know roughly the maximum possible amps you might be drawing down the track in your B/L set-up then choosing a Lipo today is easy as having more than enough amps on tap cannot do you any harm at all. In fact the surplus just measn your battery will be less stressed and should last longer.

Unless you're doign something unusual, in a 1/10 scale 2WD application I think you'd be hard pushed to draw more than 150A with any set-up in which case a 5000mah 30C (=150A) should do just fine and a 5000 mah 40C (=200A) would have a nice current reserve. I now run 2S 5300mah 50C (100C burst) Lipos with a Castle Creations MMP/1410 3800 brushless combo.
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car

RC Qualifier
    no an xl5 will not handle 3s at all im pretty sure the voltage cut off is 9.6 or 8 cells nimh

RC Competitor
    I've ran the xl-5 on 3s lipos and it burns motors up crazy fast. I ran it for a few months but I would not recommend this. I went thru about four motors In two months. it was fast tho

Run it till you break it, then upgrade

RC Racer
    hey i hate lipos personally
    so if i were you without burning up the motor and getting 30 mins of run time and 5+ more mph than a stock battery, get a speedpack 4500 nihm
    Martin
    Shaftsburyslingshot21

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by judgegixxer View Post
    Hey, um you said its better to go above 20c, why is that..?

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    25c 5000 mah(25x 5ah =100 amps) is good for the 2 pole motors (like the vxl). 4 pole motors draw higher amps and need higher amp batteries. Example 50c 5000 (50 x 5ah = 250 amps). In my experience, the 4 pole motors (like the castle 4 pole combos) will not run well on 25c 5000 mah packs. 30c 6000 yes( 30x 6ah =180 amps), and 50c 5400 ( 270 amps) will work. C rating apms depends on mah....
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Qualifier
    As far as a brand, I like SPC, they make great batteries and have great CS, great price, are sold in the USA, and the owners are in the hobby as well.

Samsung Epic - Tapatalk 2
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

There is no reason to not like lipo power, and eventually nimh's will go the way of candles for lighting, and the horse and buggy transportation (sorry if we have any Amish readers out there). Lipo's are in your cell phone, camera etc...

I like Kitteh's advice, go SPC. And try to buy the biggest mah and C discharge you can afford for more run time and power. 3s is better than 2s if you can afford it.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    Yup. I bought the lower C rated ones but thought I'd spend the extra cash on pretty much double the amp output. You are already spending the cash, so get something nice that will last and that you have some support with.

Samsung Epic - Tapatalk 2
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4