RC Competitor

ESC cooling fan for 2s and 3s Lipo

I have a ezrun 60a esc which comes with a 7v fan.
    The instructions say not to use it with 3s Lipo (for obvious reasons).
    I really dont need a fan for 2s but was looking into a 12v fan which would be a replacement for the cooling fan
    This is what i found
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/261026661474...84.m1423.l2649
    Brushless DC Cooling Fan 5 Blade 12V 25 x25x10 mm 2510s 2 PIN WIRE

Will this fan survive 3s Lipo?
    Thanks

RC Racer
    I have that same esc and a few of my friends and no one ever worries about it on 3 cell it just spins faster I use mine with a 10.8 volt battery and have no problems with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Or you could power it with the receiver... it would only be whatever the ESC's BEC puts out, but it will not be over 7v.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    Jimmie ...
    The wire on the fan is very small ... the fan sits on top of the ESC and can only connect to the ESC
    Here is what I have ... its the waterproof version
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOBBYWING-EZ...item19d20478fb

The question is should I use it on a 3s lipo or get a same size with 12v rating

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have never burned one out either my other merv has one. On 3 cell it is very loud but has never burnt out. I have also tried a 12 volt fan and didn't flow enough air in my opinion. Jimmie's idea would work great as usual!

RC Competitor
    So I guess I will plug in the 3s and will find out if it survives or not

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Shouldn't be a problem but I would pu a spare. The muchmore ultra high speed fan flows a ton of air

I have ruined more in crashes than anything else
    Last edited by 50togo; 10-25-2012 at 03:09 PM.

RC Competitor
    Thanks 50,
    In case it fries up.
    What are my options ... the current one is 25mm x 25mm x 10mm and this would fit on the ESC fins. Anything bigger might not fit.
    That is why I look up the one in my first email ... the size is the same as the one which I currently have on the ESC

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Muchmore-Rac...item27cbd2af06
    Cheaper price http://www.ebay.com/itm/Muchmore-Mtr...item2ec29e8525

If it burns I would buy this one and hook it up as Jimmie suggests
    Last edited by 50togo; 10-25-2012 at 03:19 PM.

RC Champion
    Have you tried running it without the fan installed, it may be just fine without it. I always remove the fan and fan housing from the MMP esc and never had an issue. They're just trapping in heat when they aren't running.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    On the mmp the fan encloses the heat sink in a shroud and blocks the airflow when its not.turning and the ez60 runs hotter than the mmp rated about half as strong
    Last edited by 50togo; 10-25-2012 at 03:33 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    On the mmp the fan encloses the heat sink and the ez60 runs hotter than the mmp
    With the cooler temps this time of year it may be ok, I'd try it and just monitor temps to see what happens.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Competitor
    On the ez60 with 2s the motor and esc hardly get warm (no where near HOT) ... So even if I take the fan off with 2s I should be fine.
    It only with the 3s that I am concerned about.

BTW the fan does make a loud hummmming noise even on 2s, cannot imagine what it would sound like on 3s.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali View Post
    On the ez60 with 2s the motor and esc hardly get warm (no where near HOT) ... So even if I take the fan off with 2s I should be fine.
    It only with the 3s that I am concerned about.

BTW the fan does make a loud hummmming noise even on 2s, cannot imagine what it would sound like on 3s.
    If you have a temp gun give it a shot without the fan, just keep a close eye on the ESC. It's worth a try and you can always reinstall the fan if needed.

I thought the fan gets the power from the built in BEC and that transfers it to the cooling fan only what is needed. so i would have thought 3s would have been fine to run. I see on the 1/8 scale esc's the same voltage limit is on those yet you can run 6s with those fine for a 6v fan max of 8v. just wondering there. My fan is 6v only yet i run 4s on it. Maybe i am missing something here with the smaller esc's?
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Some ESC's power the fan through the BEC, some ESC's power the fan directly from the battery.
    On a good portion of the 60amp and lower ESC's they are powered direct from the battery.

The same warnings came with my ********* 60... to unplug the fan and find an alternate power source if using 3S. I just plugged it in and go (after changing cut off settings) when using any of my packs... 2S or 3S. I figured if I ever had any issues I would just solder on an extension into the Rx box to power it up with the Rx or I would change where it got it's power from on the ESC itself.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    Some ESC's power the fan through the BEC, some ESC's power the fan directly from the battery.
    On a good portion of the 60amp and lower ESC's they are powered direct from the battery.

The same warnings came with my ********* 60... to unplug the fan and find an alternate power source if using 3S. I just plugged it in and go (after changing cut off settings) when using any of my packs... 2S or 3S. I figured if I ever had any issues I would just solder on an extension into the Rx box to power it up with the Rx or I would change where it got it's power from on the ESC itself.
    ok got it, now i see the difference what your talking about. no wonder my fan sounds the same even when i run 2s or 4s.
    DEU 8:18 ESV