Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Ok, thanks, for the 8th time! While I was putting away my Slayer last night, I came up with a cool idea.... Most of you guys know I love nitro, and I'm not really a big fan of electric. So, when I get my Summit (3 months from now) I can take the Slayer arms, driveshafts, wheels, body, etc. to the Summit platform. So I'll end up with a Summit, that looks like a Slayer! On the other side though, I'll be able to take the Summit arms, drivshafts, linkages, wheels, body, etc. and put them on my Slayer, then I'll end up with a nitro Summit! If any of that makes any sense...
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Racer
    Isnt the slayer more like a slash?? I dont mess with nitro, but the summit and REVO are close... But i dont think the summit and slayer are...

Isnt the slayer more like a slash?? I dont mess with nitro, but the summit and REVO are close... But i dont think the summit and slayer are...
    The Slayer is just a Revo with really short arms and drivshafts, linkages, etc. so it should swap over nicely. Just looking to see if anyone know if it will work. Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    i think you could only use the chassis from your slayer, i think everything else would need to come from the summit, if you are really wanting to have a nitro summit, i would just order all the crap off of ebay (gas tank engine ect...) that way your not trashing up two perfectly good vehicles. also, nitro motors dont have the kind of torque the titan 775 motor has, so it wont be as good as a crawler, unless you were to run dual nitro motors- then you would need to buy twice the amount of fuel which will burn money quick, and then you would always need to be running the summit with locked diffs and low gear so it will give the summit time to grip and so it just wont take off like a speeding bullet when you are trying to crawl... i think you would be better off leaving the summit a electric, the way the good Lord intended.
    kawasaki summit, revo& slash; regular rusty, pede

RC poster
    I do not miss (nor long-for) nitro one little bit.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I sort of miss the smell.
    But that is it.
    Electric has more power, more run time, and my RC's are cleaner afterwards.

Also, I can store them inside now!
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

Electric has more power, more run time, and my RC's are cleaner afterwards.

Also, I can store them inside now!
    But nitros.... well, you got me there...

Ok, thanks a bunch again guys! I'm saving up for a Summit right now, I plan on getting it for Chrismass! But, to be honest, I'm going to have a hard time shelling out $600 bucks for a Summit. With that kind of money I could take my all stock 2wd Slash, and get a great brushless system, a good set of lipos, a pro tract kit, better tires, a CF chassis, better drive shafts, etc. I could either get a Summit, or end up with a high end Slash, or Slayer. Just my 02. cents...

I go through that as well...
    Think of it this way: there is no such thing as an RC that is great in every terrain. Getting multiple RC's, even if they have to be in stock form, is going to open up every place you go as a RC bashing ground. You just have to pick the right RC.

I go through that as well...
    Think of it this way: there is no such thing as an RC that is great in every terrain. Getting multiple RC's, even if they have to be in stock form, is going to open up every place you go as a RC bashing ground. You just have to pick the right RC.
    True, but I kind of feel bad for my Slash... LOL. EVERY part on it has some kind of play in it, even the a arms wobble, the tires are almost slicks, the battery only holds a charge for about 10 min, the steering has so much play in it the first 20-30 degres I turn the steering wheel nothing happens... LOL!

But, you're right. My slash really can't go anywhere, I mean, it gets stuck in a gravel drivway! I can't WAIT to get a Summit!

Heys guys, guess what? I came up with another question! I would like to upgrade the motor, and the DeWalt is a good choice... I read that the Dewalt uses a ton of power, and you need lipos to really make it shine, because it would just chew through the stock nimh really quickly... So, if I got the 12 volt DeWalt, would it use less power? Or would the 12 volt just not be worth getting? What would is the best motor, under $75, that is powerful, and waterproof, that would not kill nimh too quickly? I would also like a motor with bearings, not bushings in it... Thanks a million guys!

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    Wolf,
    See my post #39 of this thread(you might have missed it). I run the 14.4 Dewalt on my Summit. I thought about the 12 volt, but based on the threads I read on the Revo forum it would draw even more current. This means it would run hotter and be harder on both batteries and the ESC.

Hope this helps....
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

Also, every motor is waterproof. Water just accelerates wear.

Wolf,
    See my post #39 of this thread(you might have missed it). I run the 14.4 Dewalt on my Summit. I thought about the 12 volt, but based on the threads I read on the Revo forum it would draw even more current. This means it would run hotter and be harder on both batteries and the ESC.

Hope this helps....
    What's he talking about? *clicks back a page* *reads missed post* *comes back* Oh ya, sorry about that, I can't belive I missed that post!
    Also, every motor is waterproof. Water just accelerates wear.
    True... But can't water short somthing out, or damage the eletric curcuits?

I thought about the 12 volt, but based on the threads I read on the Revo forum it would draw even more current. This means it would run hotter and be harder on both batteries and the ESC.
    Hmmmm.... Using that knowledge, would that make the 18 volt DeWalt even better than the 14.4 volt? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I'm a newb to electrics...

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Hmmmm.... Using that knowledge, would that make the 18 volt DeWalt even better than the 14.4 volt? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I'm a newb to electrics...
    You would think so but, I believe the 18 volt motor would be underpowered. I've not tried one, but I don't think you would be pleased with the performance based on what others have posted. The 14.4 is a very close match to what the stock ESC and NiMh (or LiPo for that matter) provide.
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

Psssst.. If you want to entertain yourself, read post #54 and #55. This isn't a fake post to bump up my thread... Why would you thinnk that??? COUGH Can anyone COUGH answer my COUGH question above? COUGH...

The 18v really needs 5 or 6s to get the most out of it.the dewalts seem to like being over volted by a bit. As in the 14.4 running on 4s.lipo (16.8v)the 12v on 4s
    Gets really hot as it is being over volted by a larger margin.the motor the you need to be concerned about would be a sensored brushless as far as water goes.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

Thanks, AGAIN for the help guys!

Well, today was a great day. I talked 2 of my friends into getting 1/16 Traxxas Summits, and 1 other friend into getting a 1/16 E-Revo! I was reading the Traxxas guide when one of my friends came by and saw the Traxxas Summit I was reading about, and he wanted to know more about it. I showed him all of the videos on it and I told him all of the cool things you can do with a Summit. (Boy, that list was loong!) But, when I told him the price, he said he couldn't afford it. But, he said he could get somthing for christmas if it was less than $350... So, I told him about the 1/16 Summit, and now he's hooked! He was so happy about it, me and him went and told all of my other friends about it. Well, to make a really long story short, we talked 2 other people into getting a 1/16 Traxxas! One friend wants a 1/16 Summit, the other friend wants a 1/16 E-Revo, and my last friend wants a 1/16 Summit too! Boy, this year's chrismass is going to be GREAT!! I just can't wait to see two 1/16 Summits, one 1/16 E-Revo, and a 1/10 Summit (< Mine ) playing together in the snow!!! Just thought I'd share my story of my great day!

RC Qualifier
    i talked one of my friends into getting a 1/10th 4x4 slash and a 1/16th rally, and another one of my friends into buying a 2wd slash and upgrading it into brushless!!!!!their not nearly into the hobby as me though

their not nearly into the hobby as me though
    Same here... But, it will be nice to have some one to bash withe though...

RC Qualifier
    yeah man, they hardly drive their cars though...

RC Qualifier
    That's awesome! I've got the Jr to go with the big boy, and you might convince them to get one once they see yours in action!

That's awesome! I've got the Jr to go with the big boy, and you might convince them to get one once they see yours in action!
    I sure hope so! I want them to get the 1/10 Summits, because when I bash with them I don't want to run their 1/16 Summits over!

RC Qualifier
    It's easy to do that

It's easy to do that
    Holy crap! I knew the 1/10 Summit was bigger, but not that much bigger!

It could get stuck in a lug...lol
    Whats That ticking sound?...like a rock stuck in the tread of your 1:1 lol

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

It could get stuck in a lug...lol
    Whats That ticking sound?...like a rock stuck in the tread of your 1:1 lol
    LOL. I have a random question... How would a stock 1/10 Summit compare to a stock 1/16 E-revo and 1/16 Summit, both stock? I got to drive a 1/16 E-revo at my lhs today, boy it was a blast! It only had one battery in it, and it was the stock nimh. So how would my Summit to be, compare to the 1/16 scale trucks, when both are stock, using stock batterys and pinions? I know the 1/10 Summit is way better on rough off road terrain, but I'm talking about grass, pavment, jumping, etc. Thanks!

Another random question... What is the best way to make nimh batterys last the longest? When I get my Summit, is there any kind of "battery break in" I can do to get more power and life out of my batterys? I just want to make them last as long as I can! Thanks! What is the "dos, and don'ts" of using batterys? I don't want to hurt them either...

RC Qualifier
    dont run the batteries until your summit wont move, just when the lights are alot dimmer and it is slowing down

How to help a NiMh last... last as in more charge cycles:
    1) Charge them really slow... .5C.
    To calculate this, take the mAh and divide by 1000 then divide that by 2.
    2) Do not run them way down in the RC.
    3) Get a charger that can monitor temps while charging.
    4) Get a charger that can do a "form" charge and perform this every once in a while.

The little and big Summit look alike... that is about where the similarities end.

Thanks a million guys for the advise on the batterys. Good to know!
    The little and big Summit look alike... that is about where the similarities end.
    Ok, but what differnce is there perforence wise? It would be really frustrating to spend $600+ on a rc car, then have a tiny little one beat it...

RC Qualifier
    hmmm..... stock wise the 1/16 summit will do wheelies (stock gearing and batts) the summit will do wheelies if you gear up a lil with stock batts but the summit is great for crawling stock, and with the light weight of the 1/16th summits it seems like you would need to put weights on the summit to get traction, the 1/16 summit will go up slighty steeper things because it is lower to the ground

The little guy is fast, rolls easier, breaks easier.
    The big guy is slower, more controllable, breaks less.

I can go in my 10th scale Summit only where the little guy has nightmares of.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Thanks a million guys for the advise on the batterys. Good to know! Ok, but what differnce is there perforence wise? It would be really frustrating to spend $600+ on a rc car, then have a tiny little one beat it...
    There is no beating it. These trucks look alike but have very different purposes. The 1:10 Summit will not light your fire by whipping around, jumping and pavement / grass autocrossing. The 1:16 cannot come close to the offroad mastery the big Summit possesses. It really seems you like speed. If so, the 1:10 Summit is not for you.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

There is no beating it. These trucks look alike but have very different purposes. The 1:10 Summit will not light your fire by whipping around, jumping and pavement / grass autocrossing. The 1:16 cannot come close to the offroad mastery the big Summit possesses. It really seems you like speed. If so, the 1:10 Summit is not for you.
    Wow, good snooping skills! I do enjoy speed, but I've found three things wrong with speed... #1 Speed wears things out really quickly, because every part is moving really quick. #2 Speed can be dangerous! You can hit things and break things, roll it and scratch up the body and wheels, and have it go out of radio range! #3 Speed can be costly. Like the old saying, "Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?" I don't want the 1/10 Summit to go super fast, but I don't like a big, heavy, and slow rc car either... Just my .02 cents!

Well 19mph max is no speed demon. But the Summit has this special gift that it gets faster as the terrain gets rougher, nastier, more vertical. If the Summit is too slow and heavy for anyone, they need to find more extreme terrain. Like a lava field...with active flows. I never thought I could spend an hour with a truck and not move out of a 50-foot radius. It's not even hard to do that with a Summit. But IMO you have to have the terrain that makes you keep saying, "No way it can do that...yes it did," over and over again.
    If I had a quarter for the number of times hikers told me, "it can't make it down that," only to have me reply, "Well it just made it UP it," I'd be a happier man.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

If I had a quarter for the number of times hikers told me, "it can't make it down that," only to have me reply, "Well it just made it UP it," I'd be a happier man.
    LOLOL!!

RC Qualifier
    Well... I read this thread and it's sound interesting from the start.
    Thanks Wolfslash16 for made this thread, because it answer most of my questions and made a review for the summit... and now I want a summit ... I think I am going to get the summit in December for Christmas but I am not sure because the price... But, i dont know...
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL