Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Darn it. I just called Stomer Hobbies to see when the green Summit would come in, and they said two weeks. Darn it. More waiting...
    Yeah, the green ones are pretty slow. They have to wait for a red one to pull a dozen or so green ones to the shipping areas.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Does anyone know if I place my order on a green Summit while it's out of stock, will they send me a green Summit as soon as it comes it stock? I want to make sure I get one, and if I wait for them to come in stock, I'm afraid I won't get one. Thanks!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Qualifier
    Green is the hardest color to get. An ebay seller confirmed this when I asked why of all the Summit bodies he was listing, green had the highest price (about $10 more than the cheapest red color)... he said it's demand and not Traxxas SRP.

Ok, thanks again for the help guys! I can't wait to get my Summit! I've read a few times that the Titan 775 needs to be broken in, and I can't find anywhere info on how to break it in. Does anyone know what is the best, and proper way to break one in? Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    You break it in just like any other brushed motor. There are many different ways to break in a motor, and all have pros and cons. Check out this: a random search.
    This is a signature.

ME AND MY DAD JUST ORDERED MY SUMMIT!!! It's out of stock right now, so they'll send us one the second they get a green Summit in stock. Wow, I can't belive I'm $560 poorer... This is going to be the best christmas EVER!
    And the wait begins!

RC Racer
    You'll love it! I got the green as well, something a little different from the norm!
    PHOENIX Bandit,Summit,Funny Car,Darkrayne Rustler

RC Qualifier
    You do realize that if you get the old yellow one, you could go twice as fast, and go half as slow! Yellow for the win!

Anyway, congratz, you'll quickly fall in love, as did we all.
    This is a signature.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ajcar View Post

you know you want one. id buy new. it is a great fishing buddy.

my summit takes up so much room i hang it from my bedroom ceiling.
    Haha my summit is my fishing buddy too

RC Qualifier
    And you'll love your summit I took mine across a5@@

RC poster
    Ok. So yes..... I've now admitted to myself that I've lost all
    rationality!!
    My son is 4 and that I'm even entertaining this idea is probably crazy!
    So here goes..... *And let me preface this by saying I have NO knowledge
    of R/C anything!! *My son, who will be 5 in February, loves trucks....
    monster trucks, tonka trucks, trucks gone wild, jeeps, etc. *I've bought
    little small kid friendly r/c stuff before but they can't go out and get
    wet. *He spends his afternoons building mud holes in my backyard... Every
    afternoon...and drives his tonka trucks and monster trucks through them.
    He also loves ramping them off stuff and climbing obstacles he can find.
    So my search began.... An R/C truck that was waterproof!..... And so
    here I am... No thanks to my friend who told me I was crazy for even
    spending over $100 on a truck for my boy but kept sending me links to
    youtube videos of all these $100's trucks tearing through mud holes and
    flying over jumps.. yeah, I liked them but still not convinced until I saw
    this video....

I'd found what I needed until I saw the price tag, but still want to get
    one so bad but hate to be called unreasonable or irrational, cuz that
    ain't me... hehe. *So I found you guys, this group of obvious enablers
    with some good experience talking, and I need advice. *Am I crazy? *I was
    looking at the 1/16 but still didn't comprehend the size difference until
    this thread. *Obviously the 1/10 sounds much tougher, etc. *So, in terms
    of water proofness, toughness, durability, maintenance, etc which is the
    better option. *Remember, this is a 5 year old, or is this just a
    ridiculous idea and I need to move on. *If so, can anyone suggest another
    waterproof option in a more reasonable price range?

What I have found is 1/16 VXL 4WD TQi/2.4GHz RTR 7207 brushless approx
    $315 or 1/16 4WD brushed RTR Chnl A5 7205 approx $224.... *SOoooo... help?
    Most of this means nothing to me?

RC Qualifier
    Do not buy a Summit for a 5 year old, not only are his hands too small for the radio the Summit is a serious toy with lots of moving parts and complex mechanics that even I haven't quite grasped seriously a five year doesn't have the skills and hand eye coordination, I recommend a toy grade RC and if you want water friendly there are some funky vehicles out there. Here is your one stop shop for all toy grade unbias reviews.

http://www.rcmania.com/
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-26-2012 at 10:54 PM. Reason: nvm

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by maxi single View Post
    Do not buy a Summit for a 5 year old, not only are his hands too small for the radio the Summit is a serious toy with lots of moving parts and complex mechanics that even I haven't quite grasped seriously a five year doesn't have the skills and hand eye coordination, I recommend a toy grade RC and if you want water friendly there are some funky vehicles out there. Here is your one stop shop for all toy grade unbias reviews.

http://www.rcmania.com/
    I would agree. I think the main issue is having a 12-14 lb mass of hard plastic going 15-20MPH could break another kids leg if he hits them. Now, on the other side of that, put it in training mode and maybe somehow tape it up so he can only use low gear. Then I think he would be fine and it would be a great learning experience.

RC poster
    Definitely already decided training mode was going to be the only mode for quite some time..... I've looked at the rc review site. But short of going through each one and reading. I can't tell which ones are waterproof. I've done numerous google/yahoo searches for waterproof R/Cs and just keep coming up empty handed except the summit

Quote Originally Posted by maxi single View Post
    Do not buy a Summit for a 5 year old, not only are his hands too small for the radio the Summit is a serious toy with lots of moving parts and complex mechanics that even I haven't quite grasped seriously a five year doesn't have the skills and hand eye coordination.
    Yes some do have large enough hands, can grasp the basics of he moving parts and mechanics, and absolutely can have better hand-eye than many forum members. I can't agree with you on any of that, and this comes from first-hand experience.
    However, children that young are not smaller copies of "mature" individuals. They reason about things differently and their decision-making does not always provide the end results we would desire.
    That said, the question regarding the almost-5-y-o is about a 1/16 Summit and though it does not belong in this forum, I can say IMO, so long as he is always closely supervised while using the truck, he could be okay. It really depends more on the BOY than on the TOY. In the 1/10 scale trucks, I'd almost always recommend the brushless setup. In the 1/16...it's more of a tossup.

RC poster
    Part of my original question was if the 1/16 was as waterproof etc as the 1/10?

RC Qualifier
    I am not sure of the 1/16 summit's specs, check them out under "products".

As far as getting one for your son, I'd say why not? Keeping in mind a few things:

Being new to rc get to know the truck so you are comfortable with it. Go play by yourself and bring your son later. Let him watch you drive so he has an idea of what's going on. Then turn the rx over to him.

Constant adult supervision by you.

Drive only in wide open areas away from innocent by standards. Baseball/football fields.

Disconnect the hi/low servo and rubber band the push rod of the tranny into place. (top speed will be 8 mph ish)

Keep in mind he's gonna pile it up a time or two and you're gonna have to fix it.

Also when I let younger family members have a turn, they don't seem to realize braking and throttle are variable...this can be hard on driveline components and the slipper clutch.

I know you want water proof and the summit is, but keep in mind water increases your maintinence intervals to keep everything working as they should, and is hard on tire foams.

If you decide to get a summit it's gonna be a learning/bonding experience for the both of you. The 1/10 summit is a killer truck. If he's not quite ready for it he'll get older and dad/mom has a new toy until then...then it might be time for a second summit.

There are a lot of knowledgable people here who are always willing to help. If ever a problem has arose someone here has dealt with it.

No one knows your son better than you.

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect
    Last edited by happymachinist; 11-27-2012 at 02:31 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Oh and sorry to be an enabler

Quote Originally Posted by happymachinist View Post
    I am not sure of the 1/16 summit's specs, check them out under "products".

As far as getting one for your son, I'd say why not? Keeping in mind a few things:

Being new to rc get to know the truck so you are comfortable with it. Go play by yourself and bring your son later. Let him watch you drive so he has an idea of what's going on. Then turn the rx over to him.

Constant adult supervision by you.

Drive only in wide open areas away from innocent by standards. Baseball/football fields.

Disconnect the hi/low servo and rubber band the push rod of the tranny into place. (top speed will be 8 mph ish)

Keep in mind he's gonna pile it up a time or two and you're gonna have to fix it.

Also when I let younger family members have a turn, they don't seem to realize braking and throttle are variable...this can be hard on driveline components and the slipper clutch.

I know you want water proof and the summit is, but keep in mind water increases your maintinence intervals to keep everything working as they should, and is hard on tire foams.

If you decide to get a summit it's gonna be a learning/bonding experience for the both of you. The 1/10 summit is a killer truck. If he's not quite ready for it he'll get older and dad/mom has a new toy until then...then it might be time for a second summit.

There are a lot of knowledgable people here who are always willing to help. If ever a problem has arose someone here has dealt with it.

No one knows your son better than you.

Best of luck!

A excellent answer,if I have ever read one.well done

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    I have a 3 year old daughter and she loves driving my Summit. She doesn't have the hand size or skills to drive it by herself, so generally she will take the throttle and I will steer.

I always put it in low gear, but she still loves it because she actually gets to drive daddy's truck. And even when she runs it into something, or when it accidentally gets thrown in hi gear, it's still a great time.

RC poster
    Thanks Happy, Doc and rest of crew for your answers! ( ha. Sounds like the seven dwarves) I definitely have some decisions To make. After the first few answers I was convinced I needed to just go with the 1/16 VXL but the last few make me reconsider again. I'll definitely use this forum for more research! Thanks again! Oh and we live out in the country so as long as the dogs and chickens run everyone's safe! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by iamannsleesmom View Post
    Part of my original question was if the 1/16 was as waterproof etc as the 1/10?
    Yes, just as waterproof.

Update: While I was at the hobby shop yesterday, I picked up a Summit roof rack LED light bar, and the double orange rated springs. I'm getting parts for a rc car I don't even have yet! Oh well. Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Update: While I was at the hobby shop yesterday, I picked up a Summit roof rack LED light bar, and the double orange rated springs. I'm getting parts for a rc car I don't even have yet! Oh well. Can't wait!
    Be careful with the wiring harness, especially the terminal with the four wires. I repaired harness #2 last night, and I don't even own one! (I do some small repairs for friends.) It's not that the quality is bad, just that the wires are so tiny.

Good news!!! I emailed Stormer Hobbies yesterday about who soon that they would be getting a green Summit in stock, and this is what they sent back!

No worries. "soon" means, they got here TODAY!!

Will ship in the morning, so you're good to go for Christmas. Good thing you backordered it, several cases, only one was green (and I checked myself to make sure), and it's for you.

Kindest regards,
    -Allen
    Stormer Hobbies

I CAN"T WAIT!!!

RC Racer
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!! THE ACTUALLY GOT THEM TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! YAYYYYY! AND PS WOLFSLASH clear your inbox
    MERV, Broken Alias.

PS Wolfslash16 clear your inbox
    LOL, sorry! Just checked the order, and it said it should be here on Thursday!