Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Exclamation Thinking about getting a Summit...

Well, after stalking the Summit fourms for a couple months, I'm thinking about getting one. First I'll list the things I like about it, then what I don't like about it.

Pros:
    Go anywhere ablitys.
    Huge tires.
    Cool looks.
    High/Low transmission.
    Locking diffs.
    Revo (Or Slayer in my case) drive line.
    Cool shock setup.
    I love the green body and wheels.
    Massive size.
    Waterproof.
    DeWalt mod will fit.
    LED's on front bumper.
    Tough drivetrain.
    HUGE SIZE!!

Cons:
    Price, $600 with tax!
    It's electric.
    Slop in the transmission.
    It's electric.
    The tires don't like pavment very much.
    It's electric.
    Slow.
    It's electric.
    Not alot of upgrades.
    It's electric.
    The tires can tear on sharp objects.
    It's electric.
    THE COST!!!
    I know I can buy it used, but I'd rather spend the extra $$$ to get it brand new. I really don't like electric, (Like I didn't make that obvious, LOL.) because to really enjoy electric power to need to get a good brushless system and some lipos. I know the Summit doesn't need brushless to be fun, I'm just talking electric in general. I know you can get the DeWalt, but I'll still need lipos. I just really hate having to buy and recharger batterys in order to run it. If I get a Summit, I'll plan on getting the DeWalt for it. It will take me awhile to save up $600 bucks to get it, so I'll have plenty of time to think about this. What are some things you guys think I need/should get/add to my Summit if I get one? Any problem areas or pitfalls I should watch out for? Feel free to tell me any bad things about the Summit! What are the best upgrades I can get for the Summit? What is the best things I can do to make it last the longest? Sorry for asking so many questions, but I really just want to make sure spending the $600 is worth it. Thanks! -Wolfslash16
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Qualifier
    My advise is go on ebay get what's called a roller it's just the summit chassis then choose your wheels tires brushless servos all that. You could prolly make one for around the price of a new summit. For brushless go with a hobbywing xerun150amp esc with a xerun 17t 2000kv or 2200kv sensored setup (around $195-200 hobby parts.com) hope that helps man
    Slash rocks!!!

My advise is go on ebay get what's called a roller it's just the summit chassis then choose your wheels tires brushless servos all that. You could prolly make one for around the price of a new summit. For brushless go with a hobbywing xerun150amp esc with a xerun 17t 2000kv or 2200kv sensored setup (around $195-200 hobby parts.com) hope that helps man
    Thanks! I want to get a new Summit because I like knowing everything that's been done with the rc car, so I know it hasn't been thrashed. But, it was a new roller, then maybe... Any other tips or advise?

RC Qualifier
    Just buy it!
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E

RC Qualifier
    I have a tip and in my book a GREAT reason to buy one............"It's Electric"!!!!!!

I have been a Nitro guy for the last 10 years. But last year I took a leap of faith and bought an eMaxx for my son and an ERBE for me. Yes the initial expense (besides the trucks) of buying Lipo's and a good charger was not cheap.....but well worth it!

Let's just say I have since sold all my Nitro (except for one).......yes because "it's electric". Now don’t get me wrong, I still love and probably always will love the sound and smell of Nitro; only a Nitro guy can understand?!?!?! But, it sure is nice to be able to plug and play!!!!! Because "it's electric". It’s also easy and clean too. LOL!!!

And just FYI.....I have a Summit on the way to add to my fleet!!! And before it's over with, I'll probably be buying a second one for the "little dude".

As Nike says…….”Just Do It”
    SUMMIT, SUMVO, ERBE, EMAXX & REVO 3.3

RC Champion

you know you want one. id buy new. it is a great fishing buddy.

my summit takes up so much room i hang it from my bedroom ceiling.
    Last edited by ajcar; 09-25-2012 at 03:31 PM.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Qualifier
    i have a summit, if we ever do bash i'll let you take mine for a spin- fair warning, you pay for what you break, i also think you should get a brand new older kawasaki edition from chaplin people off of ebay for about 460, get a mamba monster system put in it, and you will never stop playing with the summit
    Last edited by i killed kenny; 09-25-2012 at 05:32 PM.
    kawasaki summit, revo& slash; regular rusty, pede

Thanks for the input! Ok, I have few questions... What battery connector does the Summit come with? I know the summit comes with two batterys, but is it the type of connector where you run both batterys to get more power, or the kind where it just gives you longer run time? Or both? I'm sure it obvious what the answer is, but I'm a newb to eletric power. Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    there are two battery connecters, one per battery, both batteries privide the power and run-time that is required out of the truck, also the dual batteries give the truck more power and a longer run time...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ajcar View Post

you know you want one. id buy new. it is a great fishing buddy.

my summit takes up so much room i hang it from my bedroom ceiling.
    I have mine on a shelf, specifically designed for my Summit, it has fake grass, little fake trees and some rocks that I have under the wheels showing off how much articulation it has!
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E

I have mine on a shelf, specifically designed for my Summit, it has fake grass, little fake trees and some rocks that I have under the wheels showing off how much articulation it has!
    LOL! Any pictures?

I think you'll find that most of the members here on the electric side are pretty tolerant of electric bashing...to a point. I trust that is over and done with.

Besides (and remember - YOU started it) there are certain things that a nitro cannot match that makes electric superior for this low(er)-speed use:
    Maximum torque (and a whole bunch of!) it at near-zero rpm - absolutely no spool-up required;
    Lack of oily fuel drippings making the surface on which you drive (often as vertically as possible) slippery;
    Quietness - I love the sound of nitros, but crawling very often requires you to be right on top of your rig. Nuff said;
    Lack of idling necessity - Sometimes you don't just have to be on top of your rig, but climb/crawl/shimmy around and above it. This can take some time.
    Ability to run 2+ hours on one "tank." NOBODY wants to carry fuel bottles through the woods. Some rangers and most environmentalists even frown upon it.

On the other hand, an electric motor system will never match the noise, the smell, the vibration of a nitro engine. However, it CAN match the smoke of one. Once...just once.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Summit is definitely worth it and ksd51 that last statement has happend to me...2wice haha
    Rc...my wallet hates it...but my brain loves it

RC Competitor
    look around i got a 1year old used summit with 2 set of tires and rims 4 battries and roof lights for 300$ in great shape.only thing i didnt like was its yellow but its growing on me.and yes nitro has the wow factor but i can run through a batty in my pede before my buddy even gets his nitro fired up,just make sure slow is what you are looking for

Besides (and remember - YOU started it) there are certain things that a nitro cannot match that makes electric superior for this low(er)-speed use:
    Maximum torque (and a whole bunch of!) it at near-zero rpm - absolutely no spool-up required;
    Lack of oily fuel drippings making the surface on which you drive (often as vertically as possible) slippery;
    Quietness - I love the sound of nitros, but crawling very often requires you to be right on top of your rig. Nuff said;
    Lack of idling necessity - Sometimes you don't just have to be on top of your rig, but climb/crawl/shimmy around and above it. This can take some time.
    Ability to run 2+ hours on one "tank." NOBODY wants to carry fuel bottles through the woods. Some rangers and most environmentalists even frown upon it.

On the other hand, an electric motor system will never match the noise, the smell, the vibration of a nitro engine. However, it CAN match the smoke of one. Once...just once.
    Ok, good point, you got me there. I guess I'll have to give the thing called "electric" another try. *shudders* LOL.

Ok, here's another question for you electric Summit fans. What parts wear out quickly, what parts wear out slowly, and what parts just don't wear out? To the fancy Summit drive shaft ever get play in them? And how does the diffs hold up? I've read the E-Revo has some bad diff problems. And yes, I know, the E-revo doesn't have the locking diffs. Does it hold pretty good to hard use? I'm guessing because it's built as a rock crawler, the diffs should hold up well. Any thing go bad in the transmission? Thanks!
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 09-25-2012 at 10:34 PM. Reason: merge

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Ok, here's another question for you electric Summit fans. What parts wear out quickly, what parts wear out slowly, and what parts just don't wear out? To the fancy Summit drive shaft ever get play in them? And how does the diffs hold up? I've read the E-Revo has some bad diff problems. And yes, I know, the E-revo doesn't have the locking diffs. Does it hold pretty good to hard use? I'm guessing because it's built as a rock crawler, the diffs should hold up well. Any thing go bad in the transmission? Thanks!
    Keep the servos and linkages in adjustment and not binding on anything. They are like teeth: ignore them and they'll go away. If you overgear the Titan 775 it will die a very premature death. If you gear it down one tooth, you're very likely to have it more than a year. Shafts are not a problem for me until I break them doing something stupid. I've not yet had a diff problem, but it's only been 14 months. I keep them unlocked as much as possible. Otherwise driving a machine that is so capable can get anticlimactic.

Transmission is very strong - only the servo linkage or binding of the shift fork could give you trouble. So keep those clear and free-moving (clean.)

RC Qualifier
    the micro servos wear out quick... and in my oppinion the summit's center of gravity is too tall, i think you would need to get rock crusher tires, and a chassis that rides lower, so it still has the same ground clearence, but a lower point of gravity- does this make sense? or do i just sound like a(n) idiot to those experienced summit owners.

IDK - my micro servos have been used and abused for 14 months, one friend's have gone well over two and one-half years, another got a beat up Summit used about a year ago, and another got the new TQi model as soon as it was available. So far, zero micro servo issues. I'm not even a bit embarrassed that they've been so trouble-free.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    The little servos really don't do a whole lot... and if they are working to shift, something is out of whack and needs attention.

The only parts I have broken are:
    1) Right out of the box, a rear pinion. I think it was defective, honestly. 100% free replacement by Traxxas.
    2) Axle shafts. They are a cheap ($15 for a full set) "I shouldn't have done that" fuse. Mine have only broke with the diffs locked. I do see some wear in the set that is original to the truck.. and this is about the only spot I am noticing wear.
    3) Front A arm. If I did not run into anything at full speed with a 15 pound truck.... but I do wish RPM made arms for it.
    4) Front differential. Not sure what happend... the front linkage was not operating as it should at the time, so the diff could have been locked when my remote said it was unlocked. In any case, the gears within the cup were turned to chunky mush. There are some aftermarket parts emerging for these, but stock part sets can be had on eBay for a decent price.
    5) 775. I have gone through one in less than 6 months... but I never did anything but blow it out; the 1.5ish hour run times probably don't help either. However, 775's can be found for $30-40 and a DeWALT upgrade is about the same price.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

Ok thanks again guys for the info! I've made up my mind about getting a Summit..... I'm going to...

I'm going to get one!!!

Ok, I have a few more questions... (of many more to come ) How do the tires hold up, on pavment, sharp rocks, etc. What are the best NiMh batterys I can get? Don't say lipos, I know ther're better, but I can't afford them yet... (Or ever... )

RC Qualifier
    i have been running the summit tires on my erbe, driving it off road and on-road, they have been holding up pretty well on pavement

These are not pavement loving tires. They grip well but the sidewall rolls over very easily. Pavement running with a Summit is underwhelming. The tires will cut or tear on sharp rocks. Still, driving on broken rocks and squeezing in tight places amidst the "bones of the Earth" is my favorite activity with the Summit. I've also found that a little superglue seals up the cuts and rips pretty well.

The best NiMH packs will cost a lot more than passable LiPo packs. I get that there is still the charger issue and that you don't like electric, but if you are in this for the long haul, a good charge system and batteries will not take long to actually save you money.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 09-26-2012 at 05:30 PM.

Ok, random question.... after watching a few vids on the Summit in action, I was watching one do wheelies. Can the stock summit do wheelies? Or is that a DeWalted Summit? Or is it a brushless Summit? Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    no idea, but mine wont do wheelies stock, most likely it had a mmm brushless combo

RC Champion
    Like a stock brushed rustler, if you roll a little bit backward, and then stomp on the throttle, you'll pull the front up for sure. But if you don't do that little "cheat", you won't be popping wheelies with the Summit, unless you upgrade to brushless.
    Two Rusty VXLs, M2Ks 18/83 - Tag! You're it!

Quote Originally Posted by jolynsbass View Post
    Like a stock brushed rustler, if you roll a little bit backward, and then stomp on the throttle, you'll pull the front up for sure. But if you don't do that little "cheat", you won't be popping wheelies with the Summit, unless you upgrade to brushless.
    Yeah, about that...

Stock Summit, SPC 2S LiPos, no backing up.

Mine has wayyy more weight than stock, stock power; still wheelies under the right traction conditions, no roll back.

RC poster
    I can do wheelies all day with my stock Summit , I have the 2 NIMH batteries that came with it and it is completely stock. I never thought i would have a Summit but after i got one i am very satisfied with it. My brother-in-law has one and he is running 2 5400 MAH 2 cell lipos and he can go a little faster than me and can run alot longer than me. But other than that i would say its def worth it and you can get lipo batteries for pretty cheap now days. 100$ for those two my brother-in-law runs

Ok, thanks AGAIN guys! I've heard the 17mm wheels adapters can get "slop" or play in them after a while. Is there a good way prevent it from getting play in them? Or is it just going to happen no matter what I do? Thanks a bunch!

RC Qualifier
    the should be some type of scre thing in the bottom part of the knuckles, sometimes it comes loose and you have to tighten it, you could put lock tight on it i suppose, but i dont think its that much of a bother when it haappens rarely

Ok, thanks AGAIN guys! I've heard the 17mm wheels adapters can get "slop" or play in them after a while. Is there a good way prevent it from getting play in them? Or is it just going to happen no matter what I do? Thanks a bunch!
    No real way to prevent it... there are a couple of fixes though.
    One of which is to cut off the threaded part and use a flanged nut from HPI.
    I am going to attempt drilling it out and pressing in a steel tube insert... if I can find steel tubing with the right ID.

I am going to attempt drilling it out and pressing in a steel tube insert... if I can find steel tubing with the right ID.
    Ok, so what exactly creates the play in the first place? I just can't figure out where the wheel hexs could get play...

If the hexes where made of steel instead of aluminum, I doubt they would wear.

What happens is the steel axle shaft that the aluminum hex rides on enlarges the hole, creating the wobble.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    guys were getting internal threaded brass tube that were slightly bigger.they ground them down(put it in a drill and used a flat file i believe)put it on the threaded end to get rid of the steel threads chewing the hubs up.
    I did the hub mod a while ago working good i used traxxas nuts and a washer. so stuff i already had.kinda free and effective
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    guys were getting internal threaded brass tube that were slightly bigger.they ground them down(put it in a drill and used a flat file i believe)put it on the threaded end to get rid of the steel threads chewing the hubs up...
    Unfortunately, that's a temporary fix.

I did a drill/tap/helicoil mod to some old, banged-out hubs. Tolerances are tight and they're holding up well. I'm sure I could do any Traxxas 17mm hubs, but the process isn't as straightforward as I'd hoped, even though the end result is exactly what I was looking for.

Drilled & tapped

Helicoiled

LOL, thanks guys! Here's another question. (Wow big suprise) How long do the stock battery last? I know it's differnt for every person depending on how they drive it, or if it's in high/low, but I just want to get a feel for the "average" run time. Thanks!

What are the best NiMh batterys I can get? Don't say lipos, I know ther're better, but I can't afford them yet... (Or ever... )
    Can anyone answer this, and the question above? Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    Can anyone answer this, and the question above? Thanks!
    I have a set of 5000Mah Onyx (Duratrax) as well as my stock 3000Mah Traxxas. I had one fail within 3 months of purchase, it was replaced at no expense by Duratrax. Heat is the bane of NiMh and older technology batteries. I know I am really punishing mine with my Dewalt. I plan to replace them with LiPo in the event of failure. (I even have a secret LiPo fund,
    shhh don't tell the wife)

When we trail and crawl it's about 35 min or so with the 3k's and near an hour with the 5k's.

When bashing, my son gets around half that, and the batts get quite warm.......

Right now though, there are quality LiPos out there for less than I gave for my NiMhs.
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

RC Racer
    I'm new to the whole Rc truck thing I absolutly love my summit! I had an RC10 20+ years ago and technology has come a long way. I don't want to scare you but there are things that I think you will want to fix or replace; steering servos I stripped both of them out in 5 runs! Traxxas is sending me new gears for both (free of charge) I've replaced them with a single metal geared Hitec servo and love it (stock servos will be there if I have another use for them). I've torn an axle boot (no biggie) and I fixed the slop in the transmission now it is much nicer (less slop).
    I am by no means EASY on my Summit I go anywhere and everywhere too fast usually. But I don't mind fixing these things. Oh yeah I also broke the front bumper mount. I also upgraded to Lipos 8500mah and LOVE them tons of time!