RC poster

Cool vxl motor temps. help a rookie.

I'm a rookie to bashing. Motor getting hot. Fans? What kind. Runnin 5000 LiPO. Have been doing lots of reading and u tube. I know I need a few upgrades, but not building an all aluminum truck. Lost a front quarter shaft this morning. I love my truck. I know stuff breaks, but I dont want to upgrade where I dont have to.... help a rookie out. And be nice
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 08-10-2013 at 04:52 PM.

Welcome to the forum

If you are concerned about temps the first thing to do is get a temp gun so you know for sure what your temps are. If the motor is getting too hot rather than putting a fan on it aI would suggest changing the gearing first.

How many cells are you running a 2s or 3s?
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

Hi dude welcome to the forum and addiction To help lower temps you can gear down or get the traxxas vxl esc fan and a good brand single or double fan 540 size.And for your driveshafts go for these brands MIP,Tekno,Traxxas and see which ones you like best and do the front and back at the same times just so it will eventually save you downtime and money in the long run.Hope that helps you out a bit.......Peace

Spencer
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC poster
    3S I'm still in the battery break in period. And learning with every run. Temp gun great idea. Probably gonna run a fan but don't like to buy crap.(too old) anyway motor seems quite warm., believe I read 140 probably vent body with a duct.

I run a vent the front windshield and it works great dude and I would only run 2s for the time being just get use to the truck first. And its worth upgrading the bearing adapter to aluminium traxxas part no.6893X.......peace

Spencer

If you motor is at 140F you have no worries that is a great temp for running 3s. Get the temp gun so you know for sure though. Traxxas says the magnets suffer damage around 200F and most of us use a number like 170 to 180 as the point we stop running to have a margin of safety.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Welcome to the Forum.. One thing you will learn really fast is that on 3S things will break. As said above 2S is plenty to start... The major weak point is the drivshafts... Upgrading to MIP or Tekno front and rear CVD's and the big bone center drive shaft will eliminate 90% of your potential breakages.. Many people will say MIP other Say Tekno.. They are both Excellent products.

Tekno M6 Fronts
    Tekno M6 Rears
    Big Bone Center Driveshaft

As per the heat issue. get a temp gun.. Or if you have the money or a tqi system in your truck and an ipod or iphone.. It may be worth getting the docking base and adding temperature and telemetry to your model... I have it, and i love it. You only have to glance down to see the temps... and can set an alarm to go off it exceeds your set max..... no guess work.. no breaking from the action to pull bodys off and take temp readings with a gun...
    Last edited by T4KT1KZ; 08-11-2013 at 03:08 AM.

RC poster
    Thanks for the input. Went back to the nimh battery until I get some up grades. This truck is alot of fun. If I am to run 3s battery. What gear should I run? Also I saw someone talking about a different motor mount? Just want a cool truck, with less down time. Thanks for your time, comments and opinions. Really like that you guys give me part#s too. Also am I seeing that most slash parts are the same as pede parts? Sway bars? YOU GUYS ROCK!!!

RC Qualifier
    Lowest gearing to run in the p4de is 9 pinion 54 spur. your gearing really depends on where you bash. Loose dirt, grass and such, gear low. If just on pavement, you can gear higher. Even with the lowest gearing it would be easy to overheat the motor/esc on 3s even with fans and a heavy trigger finger. A great fan/heatsink to use for the stock motor is the mega fan (link below). It requires some modding for it to fits, but is keeps motor temps in check. Most users will suggest to install a bigger motor and esc and gear from there to achive proper temps.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...a-heatsink-fan

I run sway bars on my truck. Some say it affects the articulation on the suspension, but i dont really see much of difference in articulation. Its not a crawler. I would highly recommend them. Part #6898 for sway bar kit. If you plan on still using your shock guards pick up Part #5529 and use the adjusting roll shims to fill the space between the shock guard and a-arm. Just pop out the ball studs and pop in the roll shims. Alot of slash 4x4 parts fit the pede. There are only a few parts that seperate the two.

RC Qualifier
    Pinions on 3S should be geared lower to start as heat is going to be a definite issue with the stock VXL setup. 9 tooth is the lowest you can go.. 11 is stock.. As For the motor mount

Click Here for the aluminum one with the rpm sensor mount.. (#6860R)

Also

Click Here for the aluminum motor mounting plate.. (6890x)

It also acts a little as a heat-sink to help with the motors heat issue but the stock plate is also aluminum so im not sure how much of a benefit it really is... And as per the Slash / Stampede question.. almost every part off the two trucks is interchangeable... the only differences being the slash has a slightly longer chassis and wheelbase...smaller tires.. different bumpers, a longer drivershaft, no wheelie bar and it has nerfbars. Other than that they are Identical..
    Last edited by T4KT1KZ; 08-11-2013 at 02:57 PM.

Hi dude look at the kings head motor mount it has a bigger bearing which is a good thing then look at the traxxas aluminium motor plate part number 6890X it will dissipate heat and adds a bit more strength.......peace

Spencer

RC poster
    You guys gave me stellar info! Was not expecting such an overwhelming responses. Thanks to all! some shafts and bearing on order. Have a good feeling my bushing is shot probably started some heat problems. I'll get everything turning a little smoother should relieve some friction. Thanks again!!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Rock on Farmer!... I also just wanted to mention that if you plan to run on 3S you need to address the wheel hex issue.. I stripped mine doing standing backflips on 3S... But most anyone on 3S will tell you its only a matter of time until they strip... If you can afford new rims and tires.. go with the 17mm hex setup Click Here to check them out... as for tires i love the Proline Trenchers...For general bashing purposes they are a deadly tire on pretty much any surface.. .. Lastly..if you plan to run 3S at all on stock hex's carry your wheel nut wrench in your pocket and check them often..

Never buy directly from traxxas tho as they mark up huge to discourage direct sales and support all the retailers flogging their wares...
    Last edited by T4KT1KZ; 08-12-2013 at 06:00 AM.

RC poster
    Thanks for the best information. Motor temperature not as hot as I thought. 165 is the highest I've seen. But on the same note, is there a thermal overload on speed controls? Fan. Or smaller battery. I like going fast.

Hi dude the esc does have a thermal cut off but the vxl fan works wonders on keeping it in the sweet spot........peace