RC Racer

Should I go 1/8th buggy wheels and tires or get Trenchers

My stock tires are about shot and I am debating what to get next. I only bash my slash usually on gravel, blacktop, and sometimes on baseball infields. I want to know how well those 1/8th buggy tires you see on ebay hold up and what the best adapter would be. I also was curious if beadlocks would be worth it and what the best kind would be. Weight and speed are not huge issues to me I just want something that will handle decent and hold up well. I would really like to get a set of trenchers, a set of street tires, and beadlocks, but I know this would probably run me up to $130 or $150ish. While if I get two sets of buggy wheels and the adapters it looks like I can keep it under $100. What is your opinons?
    2 Slash's, 1 Nitro Sport, 1 P2DE

RC Qualifier
    ;-) in holland we got this

http://www.conrad.nl/medias/global/c...B.EPS_1000.jpg click url + 1x click on photo for big size

complete wheels & tires glued with inserts €9.99 = $12.90 for 1 set
    so for $26.- you got 4 good tires and max grip..

http://www3.ansmann.de/cms/wheelstyr...lackwhite.html
    Part No.: 214000041
    franz
    greetings from holland
    www.rcm-alkmaar.nl

Buggy wheels are almost exactly the same size, may have slightly less offset, and have less sidewall than SC tires. They are more stable at high speeds, but perhaps less predictable at the limit of cornering. Or their cornering limit is so much higher that once you get up to that level, small mistakes become magnified?
    SC tires and wheels

Buggy tires and wheels

Alt-248 on the number pad = °

RC Racer
    How bad are those mistakes magnified? Have you had had any issues with the hexs/rims snapping? I doubt it happening with the dishs but I want to get the spoked ones if I get a set. They look fairly cheap and I wanted to know if that plastic would be easier to snap with full throttle starts etc.

Meh, in general you hit the limit of lateral grip and you flip, not slide. My experience with the suprasales type wheels is limited to the truggy ones. The plastic spokes cracked and broke too easily on an ERBE. If you are running close to a stock Slash motor system and stock vehicle weight, I think you'd be pretty safe.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 09-24-2012 at 01:39 PM.

RC Racer
    I have a VXL system in mine now and as far as weight it is pretty much stock weight. The only exception would be if I ran the body I painted for my girlfriend's slash. I decided to tape the entire underside with aluminum tape just to try it and that added a decent amount of weight. I would say close to 1LB at least. All of my other bodys have minimal amounts of tape on the wheel wells as well as the sides where the nerf bars rub. I think I may just order a set of premounted Trenchers for now and down the road get some street tires. Because from what I can tell they seem to be the best all-terrain tire.

RC Racer
    I also noticed that supresales os now carrying cheap short course tires that I have been debating tring. There only like $30 for a set.

RC Qualifier
    would the suprasales tires hold up to a mamba monster? =o
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by thatsmrjptou View Post
    I also noticed that supresales os now carrying cheap short course tires that I have been debating tring. There only like $30 for a set.
    A friend has a set. I'm not sure they've been run yet tho'.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitteh298 View Post
    IDK, but I know buggy tires have no problem with the MMPro & 1415 motor up to and above 50 mph.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitteh298 View Post
    I run suprasells tires (i have 6 sets) on my hpi Vorza for bashing and I've never had a problem with them. I run them on the slashes too

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E G-Slayer

I use suprasales on my Slashes and they hold up pretty well on 3s, but I mainly do speed runs and drag race my son on the street. I don't bash as hard as some guys. Here is a comparison of tires side by side:

Yoko Truggy (suprasales), 1/8 buggy tires (suprasales), stock Rustler tire, stock Slash tire

My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

...and what the best adapter would be. I also was curious if beadlocks would be worth it and what the best kind would be. . What is your opinons?
    I prefer AKA 17mm adapters but I just got a set of TRX and like them too. STRC also sells a good set. Do not get Integy because their design is awful and they will soon land up on the scrap heap... trust me on this one.

Traxxas Good

Integy Bad

RC Qualifier
    Which ones hold up the longest on street? Or which is a good all around tire, for grass, dirt, and street. Looking to get some later on.
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

I like the Proline Switch for all terrain tires! They have good grip and long life. For a street tire I have been testing the Duratrax Bandito tires. They are sweet! Good grip and excellent tire wear!
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Qualifier
    I have the dynamite breakaway's and the robbers the breakaways are a good all around tire much better than the stock ones. The robbers do awesome on the street and even do pretty good on baseball infield you wouldn't think its a street tire. Grass is where the street tires are worthless. XL-5 Rustlers actually are the best thing I have found for grass. Just use rear offset all the way around.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdodge44150 View Post
    The robbers do awesome on the street and even do pretty good on baseball infield you wouldn't think its a street tire.
    I was taking a look at the robbers at the lhs last week and they looked pretty good. Do you have them in the SC size?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdodge44150 View Post
    I have the dynamite breakaway's and the robbers the breakaways are a good all around tire much better than the stock ones. The robbers do awesome on the street and even do pretty good on baseball infield you wouldn't think its a street tire. Grass is where the street tires are worthless. XL-5 Rustlers actually are the best thing I have found for grass. Just use rear offset all the way around.
    How much were the breakaways?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    I was taking a look at the robbers at the lhs last week and they looked pretty good. Do you have them in the SC size?
    Yes I have the sc version I got them from ebay and if you are ordering other stuff anyway combined shipping is worth looking for price + shipping lowest first is not always the best. But either way a pair can be had for less than 20$. I only got the street tires for the rear. The fronts seem like they just don't wear.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180963666083...84.m1438.l2649

Love the way they look too.

RC Racer
    Those werent premounted were they? I was looking through ebay at them and I saw premounted ones but it looked like alot of the listings didnt say if they were or not.

Edit: I am debating getting a set if they are premounted which I think they are from the looks of it. The only reason I am debating it is that I dont like the red bead lock. If I just bought the tire and used a different rim could I use a proline or RPM Rim? I like the revolvers alot.
    Last edited by thatsmrjptou; 09-25-2012 at 01:10 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Those werent premounted were they? I was looking through ebay at them and I saw premounted ones but it looked like alot of the listings didnt say if they were or not.

Edit: I am debating getting a set if they are premounted which I think they are from the looks of it. The only reason I am debating it is that I dont like the red bead lock. If I just bought the tire and used a different rim could I use a proline or RPM Rim? I like the revolvers alot.
    Alot of them will just have mntd in the title that means they are premounted. I dont know about the other rims but the foams will work but don't fit the traxxas rims like they should.

The tires I saw at the lhs were mounted, but it would be nice to tape them.

RC Qualifier
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynamite-Spe...item2a22c2f840

All you have to do is get the foam that fits the wheel you want.

BREAKAWAY™
    DYN5118 (Tires Only)
    DYN5116 (F) (Mounted) - 2WD Slash Front
    DYN5117 (R) (Mounted) - 4x4 Slash F/R, Slash,
    HPI Blitz, Kyosho Ultima SC, ECX Torment F/R

ROBBER™
    DYN5121 (Tires Only)
    DYN5122 (F) (Mounted) - 2WD Slash Front
    DYN5123 (R) (Mounted) - 4x4 Slash F/R, Slash,
    HPI Blitz, Kyosho Ultima SC, ECX Torment F/R