RC Qualifier

Whats a good, Multi Charger?

Sorry for the total newb question, but what is everyone's preference with a multi charger? Since the Summit uses 2 batts at once, and the wife is sort of thinking she would like one, I would like to get a charger that can do at least 4 batteries at once. We are an impatient family, and the quicker I can get some batteries ready the better!

Price is an issue, not looking to spend more than $300 for the charger. The PS is different, if I need one I can probably use an old computer PS. If not, then I'll buy one of those as well.

What I want out of a charger is something that is going to last me years with no issues (as long as it taken care of), pretty decent charge times, ability to charge Lipo and Nimh (which is almost standard now I know)and ability to charge more than one battery at once.

There is just so much 'marketing' out there and to be honest, a lot of the real talk is above my head. I've entered my second time into the hobby, and I realize the benefits of a quality charger. I mainly have some Nihm's right now, with only 2 lipo's for my mini summit. But I want to get a good charger first, and then start my collection of Lipos.

I was looking at the HiTech x4, but I'm not sure it could provide good charge times with it's built in charger. Looking at the Hyperion, but not seen any more than x2 yet.

Thanks for any suggestions!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    When you say "charge more than one battery at once" do you mean any battery chemistry?
    If so, your options are going to be limited to what I consider low-power multi-chargers that are basically 4 battery cookers in a single case. The reason is because NiMh needs to be charged one pack at a time in order to do it safely. LiPo, on the other hand... multiple LiPo packs can be charged in parallel or in series. Parallel charging is simpler, especially with a paraboard.

Your charger budget will allow you to get a very decent, high quality, charger. I suggest looking into the iCharger or RevoLectrix line... both lines have high quality yet reasonably priced high powered chargers. Both will require a power supply, but that is an easy hurdle to overcome... check out this thread for more information on power supplies.

I personally have an iCharger 206B... let me give you an example of charge times so you can see the benefit of a high powered charging system. Say you have 4 7,600mAh 2S LiPo's for your and your wife's Summit...
    With my iCharger I could get you from storage voltage to out the door with 4 fully charged packs in about 35 minutes. If you wanted to run them back to back I could get you from dead (3.5v/cell) to fully charged in about an hour.
    And my entire system cost me less than $200.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Wow, I didn't know such as thing as that paraboard existed. Now that is just cool right there. I'm not really too worried about multi charging Nimh's right now, as I will eventually get lipos for all the trucks and then some. I've got an Onyx 240 right now, and I'm really not impressed with it. I think it is cooking the Nimh batteries I have right now...

I will look into the iCharger later on today. I have today off and have to go mow the yard, hopefully for one of the last times this year lol.

Appreciate the input!

As I have discovered most computer power supplies are not up to the task of providing the amps needed
    Server power supply is the answer.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Nice. I may have a few of those out in my garage I could put to good use then!