RC Competitor

pinion wont stay tight

im new to doing pinions and imjust wondering why my pinion keeps coming loose when i start the car up it will make that weird noise and the pinion becomes loose after i tighten it i put blue locktite on it and it still got loose but i didnt want to tighten it to much and strip the little screw is there any advise someone can tell me to make sure i dont have this problem anymore thanks

RC Racer
    I blue loctite mine always too. I've had it come loose once since i started doing that. I tighten it real tight. Loctite the screw then put it in. You might have to heat it up to remove it.

RC Qualifier
    I recommend Loctite 243, the original one!!

Make sure, you let it dry for at least 3hrs!! Better 24 hrs- that will give you max strength!

http://tds.loctite.com/tds5/docs/243%20NEW-EN.PDF

Just tight it handtight, that is enough!

What brand of pinions are you using?
    Last edited by lcaa; 09-29-2012 at 04:50 PM.

RC Racer
    Hand tight is what I used to do. But when I had to turn the car around real fast one time because a car was coming... heres a dodge ram truck coming right at my car. Luckily the screw came loose after I got on the throttle good. I got a little distance on the truck when it wasn't driving anymore. I ran out in the road and let it hit me to stop it grabbed it and got the heck off the road !!! Its such a helpless feeling when that happens !! No throttle no brakes. It really sucks.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah wow. Gotta decide what you are going to hit real fast.

Samsung Epic - Tapatalk 2
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

RC Racer
    Yeah it was a split second decision !!! LOL !!! It darn near took both legs out from under me. I just got in the house from some night speed runs. I picked up a body that had lights put on it. Wow is all I can say !!!! Its unbelievable having this thing coming past at 74 mph pitch dark outside !!! Did two good passes 72 and 74 mph. But anyway.. I was laughing so hard I couldn't drive it anymore after that. Holy crap was that neat !!!

RC Competitor
    Your pinion will almost always come loose if the set screw is not set perpendicular to the flat on the motor shaft. If it is not as soon as any power is applied the pinion will slip slightly on the shaft and become loose. I rock mine back and forth as I slowly tighten it to ensure it is tightened properly on the shaft.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by X2guy View Post
    Your pinion will almost always come loose if the set screw is not set perpendicular to the flat on the motor shaft. If it is not as soon as any power is applied the pinion will slip slightly on the shaft and become loose. I rock mine back and forth as I slowly tighten it to ensure it is tightened properly on the shaft.
    What he said.
    Jeremy

RC Racer
    So when the loctite wears off the screw you don't add loctite to the screw anymore ?? All you do is make sure the screw is set in the right spot ?? I think I'll use some loctite. Whatever works for you works for you. Not for me.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    if you have loctite it before, you have to make sure the old dried loctite on the screw are scrape clean and apply a new drop then let it set for few hours or if you cant wait that long use a hair dryer.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    if you have loctite it before, you have to make sure the old dried loctite on the screw are scrape clean and apply a new drop then let it set for few hours or if you cant wait that long use a hair dryer.
    Loctite doesnt have to be dry to work, thats not how it activates... It does need to cure but that different then drying. The stuff works on compression, the metal ions on the bolt/screw and lack of oxygen. When loctite is between the threads and gets tightened down, it compresses, creating a anaerobic environment(lack of oxygen) and starts the curing process. Itll then cure in a couple hours, but heating it wont do anything...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jem450r View Post
    Loctite doesnt have to be dry to work, thats not how it activates... It does need to cure but that different then drying. The stuff works on compression, the metal ions on the bolt/screw and lack of oxygen. When loctite is between the threads and gets tightened down, it compresses, creating a anaerobic environment(lack of oxygen) and starts the curing process. Itll then cure in a couple hours, but heating it wont do anything...
    I wait at least 24 hours and I haven't had one let go yet, and I run 5 different pinions

RC Racer
    Yup 24 hrs is best, but the curing process does start within the hour/couple hours.

RC Competitor
    I applied loctite once before i realized the mechanics behind the pinion coming loose. It still came loose with loctite. The problem isnt the screw backing out its the shaft turning slightly when the set screw isnt tightened square to the flat on the shaft. I dont use loctite and my pinion never comes loose anymore.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by X2guy View Post
    I applied loctite once before i realized the mechanics behind the pinion coming loose. It still came loose with loctite. The problem isnt the screw backing out its the shaft turning slightly when the set screw isnt tightened square to the flat on the shaft. I dont use loctite and my pinion never comes loose anymore.
    A very good point to bring up about the flat side of the shaft. I still had one come loose, chewed spur gear, loctite is just insurance

having a good hex driver to be able to get some torque into it is essential imo. I really like the Losi's. i also always use the red loctite. people say it's impossible to get off, but it's not...just get a little heat to it with a heat gun and it'll come off. that's worked for me in the past.
    Associated rc8TE, rc8.2E, B4.2, Ofna LX2E, Slash