RC Racer

solder questions?

I havnt found my gun so im lookin for new one, is there any advantage to a adjustable one like trak power or ae digital for end connections ill be making? Also i see they sell soldering jigs just for latest connector shapes, which i dont understand i thought you solder the metal tabs on after you slip the plastic connector cover over your soldered location,no?? So i gues my question is a regular jig ok or are these block type jigs better for this application??

RC Qualifier
    Soldering is almost an art. I've been doing it for a long time. I don't use a gun though; I have an assortment of different wattage irons that I use with, each, having an assortment of their own tips. My irons range from a 15 watt needle tip (for surface mount applications) to a 1/2 inch 900 watter for repairing wave guides, and such. I personally don't care for the adjustable watt irons. They are too restrictive in a lot of soldering applications.

I don't use store bought jigs for soldering either, I'm affraid. Depending on the job; I may use all my fingers when soldering wires and connectors, and then when heavy heat is needed; I may make my own jigs out of wood and finishing nails. Each and every one of my soldering jobs is a little different, and that's what makes soldering an art. I also use, an assortment of sutures (cut and modified) for heat sinks if need be.

If you are talking about Traxxas connectors, I solder my wires to the contact pads first; then slide the contactor pad into the connector housing. I don't know if I have helped you, but maybe I have given you some good ideas to think about. I hope so, and take care.

RC Racer
    this is what i was looking at http://www.kintecracing.com/images/mr_jig_02.jpg

y afriad of store bought jigs and what gun do you like then??
    Last edited by cooleocool; 09-24-2012 at 07:57 PM. Reason: post merge

RC Qualifier
    I depise soldering! Its probably one of the more important skills to have in this hobby, especially if most of your planes, boats, etc. are electric!

For soldering bullets, I have a 2x4 piece of wood that has a few drilled holes so I can insert the bullets, tin the bullets with solder and then insert the wires all with ease. It works as a cheap and easy jig.