Thread: Lipos

RC Enthusiast

Lipos

So my stock battery no longer will charge so now it's time for new batteries. Never used lipo before just cause of the whole fire thing. I want to get them for the Merv I think but I'm still not sure. I need to know why they are so much better. What type are the best for the price and charger. I just need to be talked into this so I can make up my mind. Thanks for any advice.

Sent from my Lifeproof iPhone using Tapatalk

LiPo fires only happen when they are severely abused.
    Follow some very simple rules, and a LiPo fire will not happen.

Stock Series 1 pack sells for $24.50.
    You know what kind of run times you get with those.

A SPC 2S 2250 pack sells for $14.95
    You can expect 20-30 minutes of run time with these.
    Run them in parallel and you can get around an hour.

An "OK" LiPo charger, the Thunder AC680 can be had for $44.95. Spend a few more dollars there, like on a LiPo bag, and you get free shipping.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    A lipo battery gives you more punch. The power doesn't drop off like a nimh you will have like 90%+ of power until you hit low voltage cutoff
    they are lighter too

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Animalcrackerz View Post
    So my stock battery no longer will charge so now it's time for new batteries. Never used lipo before just cause of the whole fire thing. I want to get them for the Merv I think but I'm still not sure. I need to know why they are so much better. What type are the best for the price and charger. I just need to be talked into this so I can make up my mind. Thanks for any advice.

I'm one of the only NiMh guys left, and all I can tell you is my experience. LiPos will only make it faster on 2s, and only slightly faster. The ESC has a 50k RPM limiter on it so you are capped at just about 50mph for speed runs, and 30mph for single pack action. Thats for either. LiPo will get you slightly above 30mph. People will tell you LiPo will give you more "punch" but my slash accelerates to top speed in about 2 seconds. It will wheelie on a single NiMh pack if I set it up for it, but I dont.

Out of a single 1600 you can get about 20 mins runtime, 40 in parallel.

If you use anything but a single NiMh or a single 2s you will need to replace the servo. My servo started to die as soon as I hooked up 2 1600 NiMh packs in parallel. I had already set the endpoints as per the instructions in the manual.

I had recently convinced myself on LiPo and then saw the deals I could get on NiMh. For 66 bucks I could get 2 high quality 2200 mah LiPo's, but I could get 4 8 cell 1600's for the same price in NiMh. That's more overall runtime and more speed, but requires battery changes during the run.

It also depends greatly on what charger already you have. I have a super expensive 12v power supply with a superbrain charger that can charge several packs at once. If you don't have a high quality charger it doesn't matter what kind of cells you run, performance will suffer.

All in all, even though it was highly recommended that I should get LiPo, the deciding factor was youtube video's. They clearly illustrate what kind of performance you can expect from each. There was no benefit other than longer runtime in my case, so I went with NiMh.

Also, just a side note; the Traxxas charger is fickle. Not the wall one, but the 20 some dollar fast peak charger. I had to charge my packs with either the wall charger or the superbrain to get them to charge both out of the box, or anytime I let them sit for longer than a week. That being said, if you require a new charger, there is no reason not to get LiPo cells.

Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    A lipo battery gives you more punch. The power doesn't drop off like a nimh you will have like 90%+ of power until you hit low voltage cutoff
    they are lighter too
    On NiMh I get 30mph fully charged and 29mph after the "drop off". Thats radar verified.

RC Qualifier
    Wo Cipher... your pretty deep into NIMH! great respect to you! and I recently transfered over to lipos about 2 months ago. Best dang decision of my rc life. For one bash session at the skatepark, it took me 50 minutes to even feel a drop in power. and about 52-53 minutes to hit LVD. And that was on a single pack! I was also running a fan but that takes barely any "juice" They are 2s 2200 mah 40c lipos. The brand can't be stated in the forums but i could PM you if you would like. For a charger i run the thunder AC6. Pretty decent charger and i like it!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/dennerracingteamdrt

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by latemodelstampede View Post
    Wo Cipher... your pretty deep into NIMH! great respect to you! and I recently transfered over to lipos about 2 months ago. Best dang decision of my rc life. For one bash session at the skatepark, it took me 50 minutes to even feel a drop in power. and about 52-53 minutes to hit LVD. And that was on a single pack! I was also running a fan but that takes barely any "juice" They are 2s 2200 mah 40c lipos. The brand can't be stated in the forums but i could PM you if you would like. For a charger i run the thunder AC6. Pretty decent charger and i like it!
    Yeah I was schooled when they came out. "They" said BL would draw too many amps. I believed "them" and the owner of a battery company showed me what was up. I also met a guy who raced 1/10 TC who owned a battery company and he had the afstes RC i have ever seen IRL BL included.

But in 1/10 LiPo is ultimately the way to go in every instance. And especially with BB in your 1/16. Those will melt NiMh. I assumed in this thread OP had pretty much stock everything. If the servo had been upgraded or especially Motor/ESC LiPo would be the way to go. Or as I said if a new charger needs purchased.

RC Qualifier
    wow cipher thats awesome!

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for all the great info!!! So if I run parallel I get more run time? Do I need to install the extra pinion gear that came with? Sorry for all the questions I'm new to this stuff.

RC Qualifier
    Yes if your parallel you will get more runtime. I would only recommend 2s becasue the stock systems starts to get hot on 3s. No for 2s you dont need to put in a different gear. Unless it gets hot. Then go lower on your pinion

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Animalcrackerz View Post
    Thanks for all the great info!!! So if I run parallel I get more run time? Do I need to install the extra pinion gear that came with? Sorry for all the questions I'm new to this stuff.

You will need to upgrade the servo if running parallel anything. You will see very nearly double the runtime. Even with 1600's I get 30 minutes plus.

The pinion should be fine, unless you are running on grass, or uphill both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher_Jones View Post
    You will need to upgrade the servo if running parallel anything. You will see very nearly double the runtime. Even with 1600's I get 30 minutes plus.

The pinion should be fine, unless you are running on grass, or uphill both ways.
    Why would you need to upgrade the servo when running parallel Lipos? Not saying a servo upgrade is not good, but I dont see running parallel batteries as a reason.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I would like to know the reason too!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    Why would you need to upgrade the servo when running parallel Lipos? Not saying a servo upgrade is not good, but I dont see running parallel batteries as a reason.
    My servo was doing fine in the beginning. Set the endpoints and had no problems. Ran two 1600's in parallel and it heated up the servo something fierce and almost caught the insulation on the plastic wire on the servo on fire. It burned trough the insulation in a small part and turned the white wire brown, literally.

Got a new servo, don't run in parallel, no hot servo, no burned wire.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That was a coincidence

RC Qualifier
    I've ran many batteries through my merv in parallel including 3s in parallel with my stock servo... and it didn't blow up...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    That was a coincidence
    If it had only happened to me I would agree that its a coincidence.

if you run parallel in grass with nimh then i can see that happening with the servo getting hot because grass puts strain on it and the added weight of nimh over lipo plays a role and then the increased runtime the servo doesnt have a break to cool down at all so heat just builds. I use 2 2500's and my 1600 nimh's back to back with just the break to change batteries or even just unplug and plug next in since i usually just put both in the box's so i dont have to hold it and just takes 30secs to change and go off my servo gets hot but not so hot it burns and i take a break bysides that since the motor gets heated up so i let them rest after 30mins or half of a pack and always check temps on everything lipos, servo, motor, esc, even check my tires incase a wheels is coming loose or unglued can be damaging on all those
    DEU 8:18 ESV

Interesting experiences, although I find it difficult to see the connection.
    Maybe the longer runtime and the average higher voltage with two batteries cause more stress on the servo.

I used my original 2080 for quite a long time and almost always ran with two 3S batteries in parallel and even two NiMH in series every now and then. So my experiences are different. I even used Titus beadlock wheels those days.

I can understand that your experience points you in the direction of blaming the batteries in parallel.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks again for all the info. Just ordered myself some lipos and charger. Cant wait to get them!!

RC Enthusiast
    You won't regret it. Just jumped on them and made a huge didference!