RC Qualifier

EC5 Connectors Vs. Traxxas Connectors - Lower Temps (ESC, Motor, ESC Caps)

We have tested the EC5 connectors on 2 spartans with both Octura x442 prop and Stock Traxxas Prop. Both Spartan's have the additional ESC Cap added per recommendations from Castle (1000uF 35v Low ESR).

Infrared radar guns were used on both set-ups running 6s. We ran MaxAmps 5000 mah 100c, Thunder Power 65c 5000mah, Traxxas 25c 5000mah, and the BAD NAME COMPANY 65c 5000mah's all successfully. The better lipo's ran a bit cooler... but at the end of the day there was a huge difference in the response of the boat. It seems to run much smoother now. We both have the aluminum cooling jackets as well.

Boat 1 (mine) - Stock Prop on TRX connectors
    ESC - Never over 112 deg
    Caps - Never higher than 125 deg
    Additional Cap - never higher than 115 deg
    Motor - Never above 99-101 deg
    Lipo's - Never over 120 deg (Typically around 110 though)

Boat 1 (mine) on EC5 Connectors:
    ESC - Never over 96 deg
    Caps - Never higher than 98 deg
    Additional Cap - never higher than 98 deg
    Motor - Never above 88 deg
    Lipo's - Never over 96 deg.

Everything ran very cool with the Octura x442 prop as well (maybe a few degree's higher)

My buddy's boat seemed to have much higher temperatures than my set-up from the factory. Even with the additional cap added he was running higher temperatures than I was (roughly 20-30 deg ESC/Motor) and his caps would reach around 150-160 deg. His additional cap reached 180 at one point.

After the EC5 connectors were added his temperatures reduced closely to the temperatures I am currently running on both stock and Octura props.

With that said, it's a very simple modification with great results. I'm currently converting all of my vehicle's to the EC5 connectors.

And here's why you should never run in shallow water:

Around 54mph flip trying to get it running close to shore to clock it with our GPS gun. Loss of sight/control on my end (radar guy was in front of me) and did a nosedive into the bottom of the lake. Time for a new hull...
    E Revo brushless, XO-1, Nitro 4 tec 3.3, HPI RS4

RC Qualifier
    Interesting results, thanks for taking the time to experiment and post your results.

Too bad on the hull damage, I know the pain, have replaced a few hulls myself.

hog

RC Racer
    Thank s it s very useful for because the only high temps i got is on the wire and connector , got 10 gage wire and trx connector ! Esc seaking 180a with 1515 2200kv castle on 4s !
    Don t Go Fast if you are out of Control !!!!

RC Qualifier
    At least I'm getting to upgrade to the upgraded hull now. My results were not as impressive as my buddy's spartan but as I stated he saw over 50 degree temp drops with the EC5 connectors on the Octura x442 prop. I highly recommend the cap mod as well as EC5 connectors for all of you guys who have heat issues. It's a very simple modification that produces great results on the stock electronics.

Because of how cool everything is running I decided to order the x447 prop and give it a try. It will just be used for speed runs and temps will be closely monitored.

RC Racer
    That x447 is going to give you more torque roll. For me, I still have yet to fully open up my Spartan with that prop, it's insane because in a turn, if I floor the throttle, the boat will literally turn over, and roll causing me to stuff the boat a couple times while offshore. In a lake you probably won't have to worry about stuffing the boat. Have fun with it and don't be surprised if something breaks - that's a big prop. The more speed the dicier the situation becomes.

RC Qualifier
    I ran the x447 prop last night on all stock electronics. Wow, that prop is FAST. My garmin GPS arrives on Friday so hopefully I'll get some accurate speed results. I don't feel comfortable using my new phone as a GPS anymore, lol. Stock prop has clocked 51mph, Octura x442 has clocked 54mph, and I feel that the x447 is pretty close to 60mph.

With just 3 speed runs back to back to back, all temps stayed below 100 deg. Running it full throttle for about 2-3 min led to a 120deg cap temp. Everything else was between 90 - 105 deg. I'm simply just going to use this prop for top speed runs. I did notice a bit of chine walk... but it seemed to do much better than my x442 prop over-all. Keep in mind, I am running Thunder Power 65c/130c 5000 mah lipo's which seem to combat heat quite well. The EC5 connectors have helped control temperatures tremendously.

A buddy of mine just got in a x645 prop to use on his miss elam hydroplane. I think he'll be testing this prop out on his spartan as well. A 72mm pitch is a pretty big prop for stock electronics, lol.