RC poster

Titan 12 T after 1 mth

After only 1 mth. I was very disappointed in my slash2X4 brushed. Maybe 15 hours of run time . Just bashing with friends. 8.4 3000 Mah battery. All stock. I find Traxxas will not replace burnt out motor. So If i must buy a new motor , I decided to pull it apart to see what happened.

RC Enthusiast
    Hi,
    These motors typically don't last long if you get them hot. It will get very hot if running really hard and in the grass. When you replace it, get a temp meter as well to keep up with temps. You will have to maybe put a smaller pinion to keep temps down especially if you bash in the grass.

Did you break the motor in properly and do routine maintenance on it? This is critical to the life of the motor and often over looked.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

Hey Charlie, welcome to the forum. What did you find when you pulled it apart? Usually the brushes and commutator develops a glaze so the electrical current can't pass through.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC poster
    I have the same problem with mine!! it is infuriating.....

Back when I raced my Slash in spec class, I would defend the Titan to no end. They are capable of running very strong and lasting a full season without issue. Apparently the fact that I was running six minutes at a time had a huge effect on longevity. In that amount of time, the Titan would barely go over 100 degrees and the track I raced on was very well-groomed blue groove clay, so dirt and debris wasn't really an issue.

We recently started a backyard track and the Titan motors proved to be a completely different animal. I could still get great performance out of them, but the loose soil and long run times (15-20 minutes) seemed to take their toll. There were instances where a brand new, properly broken-in motor would be shot before the weekend was over. I contribute the majority of failures to the excessive heat from non-stop running. The dirt also had a hand in the Titan's demise from ripping the brushes clean off of the spring perches (or whatever you want to call them).

Seems that if you do a proper break-in, regular cleaning and maintenance, and give the motor somewhat frequent breaks to avoid overheating, they're a great running motor. If you're not willing to follow those guidelines, you should invest in a brushless setup, or at least a nice rebuildable open-endbell brushed motor.

RC Competitor
    I was planning on getting the brushed version of the Slash for my son and I (2 trucks)...after reading these challenges folks were having, I decided it was worth the extra funds even for my 7 year old.

I've now had 38 battery cycles (10.4 hours) thru my VXL with only a re oil of the motor end bearing. Majority were NIMH...until last half dozen...2 and 3S LIPOs. I show it no mercy when it comes to heat...

I think a "Motor Up" is the only solution to regaining the enjoyment of a relatively expensive 'hobby.'

RC Qualifier
    I just got another slash for my birthday and Yes it has the Titan motor. I will replace it , but i dont dislike it one bit. The motors are really good, when broken in properly. I cant complain about mine.
    Traxxas Slash 2wd and Thunder Tiger Tomahawk Vx