Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Ok time to get serious!

Ok guys I was doing donuts with my slash when my back left wheel nut came loose and then my axle and wheel proceeded to strip itself and went from a hexagon to a circle... So morale of the story is I need a new axle and wheel. I want to order praline trenches on their split six rims and just use bead locks. I am not sure if brad locks will hold up to the 3s power? Next thing is I am having motor heat problems so I need a heatsink and fan and also I am need new gearing. I want gearing that will achieve 55 mph but if I punch it will be pull wheelie no problem, because I am running 23-86 gearing now and the only way I can get it to pop a wheelie is if I hit a speed bump on full throttle. Keep in mind I was using the stock tires which were basically bald so that might have something to do with it.

RC Racer
    I run 3s also, proline gladiator on i think renegade beadlocks? Cant remember but holding up well, just check the screws every now and again. I run 18/86 gearing, shorter tracks gets up to speed real real quick, pops wheelies(ive added weight to help). my motor was still kind of hot so i added a heatsink and fan to it and it really helped out, doesnt get as hot nearly as fast.

RC Qualifier
    Ok thx yes I have a Vxl fan on my Vxl esc and I am thinking of getting a metal transmission case and heat sink with fan for the motor.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceroad2 View Post
    Ok guys I was doing donuts with my slash when my back left wheel nut came loose and then my axle and wheel proceeded to strip itself and went from a hexagon to a circle... So morale of the story is I need a new axle and wheel.R/Get these axles, maybe work for you, and change the rims.

I want to order proline trenches on their split six rims and just use bead locks. I am not sure if brad locks will hold up to the 3s power? R/I dont know the answer, sorry

Next thing is I am having motor heat problems so I need a heatsink and fan and also I am need new gearing.R/ For overheating problems you can get an aluminium gearbox. (I am using this gearbox and I like it)

I want gearing that will achieve 55 mph but if I punch it will be pull wheelie no problem, because I am running 23-86 gearing now and the only way I can get it to pop a wheelie is if I hit a speed bump on full throttle. R/You can change the motor/ESC for get more speed, but I cant help you because i dont have experience with others motors(I am using mamba monster combo, usen on the ERBE and EMBE

Keep in mind I was using the stock tires which were basically bald so that might have something to do with it.R/ Change the tires
    Blue letters are the answers.
    I hope this help
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Qualifier
    Ok thx yea I just got the Vxl so other motors are out of the question and I am satisfied with the esc and motor just not the gearing.

Edit: sorry I should have been more clear but I meant my hub was stripped I need to post a pic I guess.

I just made an update to my Slash build... not really a build just an update, but I'm running similar equipment to you and getting 53mph on SPC 3s 5400 50C lipo, 23/83 gearing with 1/8 buggy tires and 17mm AKA adapters. Check it out here.

I get 53mph and good wheelies at almost any speed with this gearing. I don't talk much about the transmission case but it's an FLM and my temps rarely go over 145F after running a full lipo. AND, the motor temperatures are markedly cooler as you get closer to the aluminum transmission - pretty impressive cooling if you ask me. And the transmission is warmer closer to the motor, drawing off that heat.
    Last edited by O.G.; 09-20-2012 at 10:59 PM.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    I just made an update to my Slash build... not really a build just an update, but I'm running similar equipment to you and getting 53mph on SPC 3s 5400 50C lipo, 23/83 gearing with 1/8 buggy tires and 17mm AKA adapters. Check it out here.

I get 53mph and good wheelies at almost any speed with this gearing. I don't talk much about the transmission case but it's an FLM and my temps rarely go over 145F after running a full lipo. AND, the motor temperatures are markedly cooler as you get closer to the aluminum transmission - pretty impressive cooling if you ask me. And the transmission is warmer closer to the motor, drawing off that heat.
    I am installing my FLM 20000 tranny case tonight. I can't wait to try it out, as I bought it for the sole purpose of reducing engine temps. What diff are you running? If stock, what type of grease did you use? (I am considering locking mine with some heavy grease...) Did you tighten the slipper all the way down?

Quote Originally Posted by lemansfanatic View Post
    I am installing my FLM 20000 tranny case tonight. I can't wait to try it out, as I bought it for the sole purpose of reducing engine temps. What diff are you running? If stock, what type of grease did you use? (I am considering locking mine with some heavy grease...) Did you tighten the slipper all the way down?
    I have stock diffs in my FLM Slashes stuffed with Bad Horsie differential grease. The Bad Horsie grease won't spin out of the stock diffs like oil or grease.

I have an FLM diff in my track Slash running 30000wt silicone oil, and a Swami diff with Bad Horsie grease.

That FLM transmission is fantastic.

RC Qualifier
    Ok what about my stripped hub though? I am gona get new proline wheels and tires but I need to find a new hub as well.

Are you talking about the plastic hex that fits in the wheel? I'd get a set of STRC aluminum hexes if you've been stripping out the plastic ones. And get the HD rear complete axle assembly to replace the bad axle. You can buy the complete part fully assembled. Just remember to use 2 TRX teflon washers to shim the axle to reduce play.

Like this?

Last edited by O.G.; 09-21-2012 at 11:08 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Are you talking about the plastic hex that fits in the wheel? I'd get a set of STRC aluminum hexes if you've been stripping out the plastic ones. And get the HD rear complete axle assembly to replace the bad axle. You can buy the complete part fully assembled. Just remember to use 2 TRX teflon washers to shim the axle to reduce play.

Like this?

YES THIS IS IT! Lol I for the life of me could not think of what it was called. Aluminium hexes look like the thing to get. How do I take the old hexes off though?

RC Champion
    To remove the old hexes, I just pull the plastic hex off with a pair of pliers. It just take a little bit of force, then they will pop right off.
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    You can put a flat head in between it and the bearing carrier and pry it off too. Just be careful not to let the pointed edge of the screw driver hit the seal on the bearing.

A butterknife will also work. Put it under the hex and pop it off into your hand.

RC Qualifier
    Ok awesome. Umm so what are we thinking on gearing? Stripped my spur so I need a new one. Again like I said I am looking for about 50 mph but if I punch It with a 3s I pull a wheelie no problem! I can't even pull a wheelie with 23-86 gearing right now. I will most likely be buying a heat sink for the motor or a new transmission.

You should be wheelie-ing right now on 3s 23/86 gearing; I think we should solve that mystery first before changing the gearing.

Sure you could go to 19/86 and wheelie for sure (i hope!) Butthere must be a problem with youre setup.

I usually do the following to solve a problem like this:

1. Open transmission and replace the bearings.

2. Pack the differential with lithium based grease or Bad Horsie diff grease.

3. Pitch the old spur because you'll have it off anyway. Replace with an 83t TRX spur or 32p.

4. reassemble and make sure the tires spin opposite of each other when you turn one by hand.

You could also do the 2-cent lock washer mod but that will eventually break down the diff.

RC Qualifier
    Ok thx for the reply I am Gona order parts just so I can get it going again but in the mean time I am going to work on the diff. Any ideas where I could order the stuff from? Usually I do tower hobbies because I can get all my stuff their in one box because its a big deal when you have 45 dollar shipping to Canada. I don't even get why they do that anyways I mean I live 20 miles from the North Dakota border lol! So yea I am already ordering from proline and tower hobbies most likely and also from STRC so I am looking at over 100 dollars in shipping! Yikes!

EDIT: ok also what are the sizes of bearings for the transmission? Can I use marine grease in the transmission? I often watch djmedic2008 on YouTube and he always talks about marine grease.
    Last edited by Iceroad2; 09-25-2012 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Forgot something

Sent you a pm.

I use bad horsie diff grease and they ship free in the US.

I use lithium based grease if I don't use bad horsie. Marine grease may be more temp resistant, but I don't know much about it.

Transmission bearings are the standard 5x11 size your truck uses if its a vxl.

RC Qualifier
    Ok my truck came as a Titan but was upgraded to Vxl so would that be the same

What I meant was the magnum transmission bearings are always going to be 5x11, but if your truck is a vxl and came with wheel bearings, they will also be 5x11.

RC Qualifier
    Oh ok thx for all the help you have given me. I apperciate it so much! I know I will have many many many more questions as I go along with my truck.

RC Qualifier
    What I meant was the magnum transmission bearings are always going to be 5x11, but if your truck is a vxl and came with wheel bearings, they will also be 5x11.
    I think all slashes came with bearings. Mine was a xl5 to start and had wheel bearings and adjustable links. The stampede and rustler however have bushings in the wheels. I am almost positive all the transmissions run ball bearings.

RC Qualifier
    Ok awesome thx

RC Qualifier
    Ok so I pulled my tranny apart today and everything rolls nice and smooth. I am wondering if something is dragging somewhere though causing motor temps to be so high?

RC Qualifier
    Depending on the surface you run 23/86 could be to high. Check the gear mesh this is why I hate 48p its so hard to get a good mesh. 32p is quite and my 3 year old could set the mesh cause the teeth are just so much bigger. Also check for any shaft movement on the motor there should be no side to side and very very very little if any front to back. When the bearings started to get some play in mine it seemed impossible to keep temps down even on a 7 cell

RC Qualifier
    Can I use the traxxas white lithium grease? Or should I try to order bad horsie grease

RC Qualifier
    Can I use the traxxas white lithium grease? Or should I try to order bad horsie grease
    I missed something

RC Qualifier
    Uhh sorry I meant I am replacing the grease in my tranny so I was wondering if traxxas would work or bad horsie

RC Qualifier
    Go to a parts store and buy you a tub or tube of lucas ( preferably not a must but its super sticky ) wheel bearing grease. That way you will have enough grease to outlast your rc.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Bad horsie grease is many times thicker than any auto wheel bearing grease available. Its like marine grease mixed with taffy, molasses, and gorilla glue.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Qualifier
    Ok unfortunately bad horsie grease is ten dollars and the shipping is 40 so I just used some normal white grease tranny I put back together I don't have the axels put together but both the stubs spin forwards. I think once the axels and wheels are installed they will spin opposite though

Uhh sorry I meant I am replacing the grease in my tranny so I was wondering if traxxas would work or bad horsie
    Bad Horsie only goes inside the differential to tighten the diff action. Lithium goes on the gears outside the diff.

Ok unfortunately bad horsie grease is ten dollars and the shipping is 40 so I just used some normal white grease tranny I put back together I don't have the axels put together but both the stubs spin forwards. I think once the axels and wheels are installed they will spin opposite though
    Geez iceroad, shipping is free to the U.S. That's pretty steep.

RC Qualifier
    Yea that's the problem with living in Canada here is like no retailers it seems

Sent from my super super fast iPhone 4S in white!

RC Qualifier
    I'm sure shipping has to be a little cheaper than that =P

Maybe if you call them they will give you a better price.
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

I called one manufacturer about cheaper shipping and they practically laughed at me.

RC Qualifier

Maybe I need to become a smuggler. Stash it in a Sl4sh and drive it across the border

RC Qualifier
    Hahaha sounds good! Probably get some unmanned drone after your slash.

Sent you a pm.

sent from my iPhone 6