RC Racer

poor battery life

i have a 3906 emaxx with dual 3300mAh battery packs, i only get like 10-15 minutes run time, and when i put the batteries on my charger, one will be charged quick, the other will not... i use the onyx 240 charger which has peak detection and it shows how many mAh it puts in.

so since one of the batteries appears to not get used in the truck and is still full later...is it a bad battery pack, bad wiring, bad esc? i need to experiment more to see if it is a certain battery back, or certain side of the truck, are any of those possibilities?
    thanks

RC Champion
    There is a Battery Elimination Cutoff (BEC) side. That side draws a little more power as it powers the receiver and servos. Alternate which side you run your batteries in and see what results you get.

10-15 minute run times seems reasonable for 3300mAh.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Champion
    Ya, sadly the stock batts are just bare bones starter packs. If you really want some good runtime u need something rated 5000mah or so. That should get you an half hour or so. Duratrex DTX and rematch enerG are the best cells on the market I believe. Traxxas packs are ok but a lot of people have bad luck with them

Or you could go Lipo.
    Doublethink: 2+2=4 while 2+2=0

RC Racer
    thanks for the info, just seems like i used to get better life out of them, just got them less than a year ago...
    i will label the batteries and do more testing

RC Competitor
    Side question here, I was looking to get some Duratrax NIMH batteries, any difference between the DTX and Onyx ones? Besides the DTX versions costing more. Was looking somewhere in the 4200-5000 mah range.

RC Racer
    took it out again and charged it up.
    one battery pack started at 4.1 volts the other close to 0 volts
    both batteries took about the same amount of charge from my peak charger, both ended with about the same 7.7 volts.
    but i only got about 10 minutes (if that) of run time...used to get more maybe 20 25 or 30...the batteries were new like 1.5 years ago.
    venom 3000mah...

any ideas? how can i test the motors for excessive draw? they are the stock titans

RC Racer
    also should i be running the batteries down to nothing (as in wont move the truck) or should i stop running when the truck starts to loose power

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebronco69 View Post
    also should i be running the batteries down to nothing (as in wont move the truck) or should i stop running when the truck starts to loose power
    For NiMH, stop and recharge them when you notice a significant drop in performance.

RC Racer
    so i probably ruined the packs then...