Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast

DiggerPede's Project: Bandit to Raptor Rustler build

Hey guys! So I was going to rebuild the Bandit Roller I picked up in the Traxxas Alley a little while back. I did some research and noticed the selection of upgrades was very minimum. I was convinced by a fellow friend ( Petertje60 ) to go Rustler. So this is the route I will be taking. This opens up to more choices in tires, bodies, & other accessories. At the moment i'm not really going to take this thing to like a speed rustler build or anything. I don't really have a place to have that kind of fun.

Anyways I have a lot of work set forth in front of me. I still have yet fully to take a part this rig. My plans are to tear into the Tanny, inspect, clean up, & replace what is worn. Other things are to dye the chassis and any gray part black. This build will probably be slow and over time. I'm wrapping up a huge project at work and tons of other work along the way. The little guy is in soccer and my 2 precious ladies & him to entertain in the evening. They are my life so...... hoping to complete by November if not sooner. I get real antsy and if I see a lot of parts sitting in front of me I get really motivated and move faster. LOL

Here is a list of what I got in this past weekend. I'll build the list of the spare parts in the coming week or so. Also another big package of goodies by next week. Ooooh lala.

Rustler Build: Upgrades
    Bandit Roller ( converting to Rustler )
    JConcepts Illuzion Ford Raptor SVT Rustler Body (pn.0210)
    ST Racing Aluminum Gunmetal Belcrank Steering w/bearing (ST3743XGM)
    ST Racing Hardened Hinge Pin Kit (ST3640S)
    TBR Rustler Basher Front Bumper (62001-C101)
    TBR Rustler Rear Bumper w/ wheelie bar & wheels (62083-F317)
    Traxxas/ Castle ET-3S ESC

Rustler ( Bandit Roller )

Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

JConcepts Illuzion Raptor SVT Rustler Body, ST Racing, T-Bone Fr/Rr Bumper

JConcepts Illuzion Raptor SVT Body

Mounted up. LOL

ST Racing Aluminum Gunmetal Belcrank & Hardened Hinge Pins

TB Racing Fr/ Rr Bumper w/ Wheelie Bar

....more goodies to come.....
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    is going to be cool...what do you have in mind for tires-rims, motor, servo, shocks..a front wide mod will be cool too, maybe protrac arms, and shock towers?

RC Champion
    nice. this is gonna be a cool build Digger!

Quote Originally Posted by RC-Fan View Post
    is going to be cool...what do you have in mind for tires-rims, motor, servo, shocks..a front wide mod will be cool too, maybe protrac arms, and shock towers?
    I have an idea on the wide mod. Lets just hope it works.. One i've never done before.

I've got more goodies coming but i'm going to wait for them to arrive before I post what they are. I think you'll like them. I also have a list of parts I'll be incorporating to the build that are STRC Gunmetal.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    nice. this is gonna be a cool build Digger!
    Thanks man! I'm getting the excitement for sure.

I really want to run a higher kv motor, but think i'm going to work with the HPI/ Castle Vektor 4000kv motor first. I have a CC 3800kv at my disposal too.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    I have an idea on the wide mod. Lets just hope it works.. One i've never done before.

I've got more goodies coming but i'm going to wait for them to arrive before I post what they are. I think you'll like them. I also have a list of parts I'll be incorporating to the build that are STRC Gunmetal.

I really want to run a higher kv motor, but think i'm going to work with the HPI/ Castle Vektor 4000kv motor first. I have a CC 3800kv at my disposal too.
    Oh yeah I'm going to like it, probably you want to upgrade the gears on the tranny to metal, an aluminum case will look cool too

What kind of wide mod ? a pede 4x4 front components maybe ? I did it once on a rustler it was cool. I ran MMP-3800 on 3s, and it was really nice, no temp issues.
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 09-20-2012 at 10:53 AM.

JConcepts Illuzion Raptor SVT Body

Mounted up. LOL

ST Racing Aluminum Gunmetal Belcrank & Hardened Hinge Pins

TB Racing Fr/ Rr Bumper w/ Wheelie Bar

....more goodies to come.....
    Tell me how the trx/castle Et-3s works
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    whats the part number for the tbone wheelie bar?
    SL4SH Mamba Monster-Rustler Mamba Max 2400kv

RC Champion
    What is the ET-3s?? And what does it come in..
    Everything overpowered...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by QYKSLVR View Post
    It is a castle Mmp Esc, it comes with the Funny car.

Quote Originally Posted by QYKSLVR View Post
    Just as RC FAN stated. You can pick them up cheap on ebay. I believe it has a built in capacitor in line from the battery connector. I haven't messed with it yet.

Baldy has been running one on his HR Pede for a month.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III ~ using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    Tell me how the trx/castle Et-3s works
    a friend of ours is using it in his stampede, and its working great! The neat thing about it is, when paired up with the TQi from the NHRA, u can do burn out mode, stage mode, and go from 0-100% throttle at the flick of a switch..
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

Quote Originally Posted by traxxasFTW View Post
    whats the part number for the tbone wheelie bar?
    Its in the first post on my list of parts.*62083-F317

Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Digger, this is gonna be awesome! Way stoked to see how its gonna turn out, I bets its gonna be awesome bro! whats the motor plan?

Super excited to see it take shape! Also, Plans for the arms? That Raptor body craves Protrac Front arms....

Than again it works with the RPM arms too, wtih the right wheels/tires. With extensions, and slim enough wheels it looked good. I didnt like the look of the G-locs, plus stock length arms... That combo I didnt like.. Either one way or the otha I think

Its gonna be sick!

RC Champion
    well this has talked me into building a rustler instead of rebuilding the bandit, that and the new proline body..I guess I'll be starting a build thread soon too. I just decided to work over two more weeks so I have four weeks to research and order the parts i need and hopefully they'll be waiting for me at home when I get off this boat...anyways subscribed!
    Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E SCT410

Quote Originally Posted by SLW-SVT View Post
    well this has talked me into building a rustler instead of rebuilding the bandit, that and the new proline body..I guess I'll be starting a build thread soon too. I just decided to work over two more weeks so I have four weeks to research and order the parts i need and hopefully they'll be waiting for me at home when I get off this boat...anyways subscribed!
    Sweetness dude! Not saying its kewl but you know what I mean maybe I can get up with ya when ya get back. I'm hoping to see the light of day by November. I did have this last Sunday off for a change. It was kinda weird in a sense, I've been working so much this year. I got to enjoy the wife, & kiddos. It's so amazing when you tell your son that you are off tomorrow and he just gets so excited. I know I havent done much with this thread as of yet. Just been laying low lately. I did receive a big box of goodies last week. I busted into it but have yet to really scope out the parts.

A little update though. I split the chassis, scraped off the sticky from the foam, and cleaned it up. The front half will be left together and chunked to the side for something later, you just never know. I also busted into the tranny and took a quick peak. Hmmm.....diff has a plastic outter ring ( old style ). Yuck! Anyways I ordered a new updated diff. A measley $10 shipped. I had scoped around and thought about picking up an FLM sealed diff. Still not sure yet if I will though. I was also looking at the HR Hybrid Graphite/ Alloy plate tranny to. LOL I have a GH all Alloy case that I think i'm going to utilize for this build. My thoughts are still to put the HPI/ CC Vektor 4000kv motor. I'm going to see how high I can gear the puppy up with that. Who knows down the road this sucker may get beefed up. I've even though about yanking the 2400kv motor from my P4de and slap in this puppy. Then I could put a MM 2200kv in my P4de. LOL I would have to get a different tranny case, and probably would look back at the HR Hybrid one.

I"m going to build my list on the package i just got in later on today.

Any pointers let me know. I'm all ears.......
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Not sure about the size of the HR tranny, but the 2400 fits in my REM case. Only dremmeled it a bit to be able to have more room to move for different pinion and spur sizes.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Champion
    And even then u didnt dremmel the actual case, u just dremmeled the motor mount hole correct?
    Everything overpowered...

Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    Not sure about the size of the HR tranny, but the 2400 fits in my REM case. Only dremmeled it a bit to be able to have more room to move for different pinion and spur sizes.
    I know baldy is running an HR case, but its the old style all aluminum one. He has the Traxxas/Castle 2400kv motor mounted on it. They offer one but it's a little different now. I doubt the motor mounting has changed on it.

Sounds like you want me to slap a big boy on it?

Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

I know baldy is running an HR case, but its the old style all aluminum one. He has the Traxxas/Castle 2400kv motor mounted on it. They offer one but it's a little different now. I doubt the motor mounting has changed on it.

Sounds like you want me to slap a big boy on it?

Hehe. You started about it yourself in post #16, so don't use me as an excuse to do it

Awesome digg. And ya, the HR will fit it all... I have seen someone runnin the HR with the 2200 on their Pede. So itl work for sure.

Im glad ya posted the pics of the ET3. Im thinkin of running it on my Pede with the Pro4 and the NHRA Tqi. Get the Staging, and burn out Good times.

RC Qualifier
    Hey Digg. Im running the HR tranny case on my rustler. You do need to dremel the motor mount holes a slight bit. I also dremeled the hole where the shaft to the motor comes through. It was just a little to close for comfort. Bad thing to me is that you can only get it with the blue heatsinks on it. I just ordered the sc10 motor mount plate that came with the black and silver heatsinks on it and switched them out.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    2400 is a nice motor, but you need to gear it higher to get decent speed on 3s, also it makes the rear end too heavy. I prefer castle 3800 it runs great on the rusty with 3s, perfect combo with that esc you have.

Hehe. You started about it yourself in post #16, so don't use me as an excuse to do it
    Heck ya i'm going to blame it on you. You pushing me to do it!!! hahaha

I'm prolly going to start with the current power plant and see what happens. If anything i'll pull the one from the P4de and hook both them up with more big block power.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Lol. RC-Fan has a very valid point. The 2400 is more heavy and on 3S the 3800 is just a bit more in it's element than the 2400.
    I used the 2400 on 4S, but just for speed run purposes. Both the 3800 and 2400 are great power plants.

I'm probably going back to the 3800 myself. I'm waiting for the T-bone wheelie bar to arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by RC-Fan View Post
    2400 is a nice motor, but you need to gear it higher to get decent speed on 3s, also it makes the rear end too heavy. I prefer castle 3800 it runs great on the rusty with 3s, perfect combo with that esc you have.
    ...then it will be the CC 3800kv or the HPI/CC Vektor 4000kv. I really want to have fun with it for hours at a time. I'll still gear it to snatch some speed. Prolly good enough for me. Thanks bro.

Lol. RC-Fan has a very valid point. The 2400 is more heavy and on 3S the 3800 is just a bit more in it's element than the 2400.
    I used the 2400 on 4S, but just for speed run purposes. Both the 3800 and 2400 are great power plants.

I'm probably going back to the 3800 myself. I'm waiting for the T-bone wheelie bar to arrive.
    Sweetness. My T-bone stuff came in last week. I'm going to work on my list and take some snap shots tonight. I might even work on dying my chassis and gray parts. So way behind on this build its crazy.... Arhhh
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    You could try the tenshock 4000kv. Pretty sick motor. I have one of those in my other rustler and I love it.

Update: Tower Hobbies Order Has Arrived ( last week ) I'm behind

Ok package #3 arrived last Saturday. This was my big order from Tower Hobbies. Sorry no pics yet, but i'm going to list some of what I have on hand.

Upgrades: Package #3 Tower Hobbies
    Rustler Front Axles TRA-3637
    RPM Rear Shock Tower RPM-80832
    RPM Rear A-Arms *2 sets RPM-80182
    Traxxas Fiberglass Tie Bar TRA-2532
    Traxxas Slayer Aluminum Push Rod TRA-5918x
    Proline Dirt Hawg Tires 2.8" 1175-00
    JConcepts Rulux 2.8" Fr/Rr *2 sets 3340b
    GH Silver Aluminum Hex Wheel Hubs GH-02144
    Tamiya PS-6 Polycarbonate Spray Yellow 3 oz * 2 cans 86006

Package #4 eBay:
    Traxxas Planetary Diff TRA-2388x

My Stock:
    GH Silver Aluminum Gear box GHH02600
    Traxxas TQ 2.4Ghz Micro 5-channel Receiver w/Traxxas Link TRA2218X
    Traxxas 2075 Servo ( for now, LOL )
    HPI/ CC Vektor 4000kv 4-pole Motor
    Losi Ten-T/ SCTE Rr shocks
    Front shocks??? Still thinking...

I'm probably missing something on the list. I currently have the chassis and upper plate cleaned and ready to be dyed. Maybe tonight. LOL

I'm now scoping for a front shock tower, thinking aluminum, that has a some good mounting points for the camber and shocks. I think I have my eye on the alien one....brain fart...cant remember the name.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier

How'd you get your hands on a ET-3S?
    And there he goes with the carbon...

eBay.... Pulled from a Traxxas Funny Car

ET-3S
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Is the ET-3s sensored?
    Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E SCT410

Update: I hit up eBay for a few more things. =)

As the title says I went hunting for the missing links to this build. I think I'm almost squared away. LOL Now time to get started. Not sure which shock towers will work for me the best so I purchased both. The spare set will make it to one of my other RC's. So won't be a waste. The Alien ones i was talking about are from Xtreme Racing. Baldy found this a little while back. Not sure if he's mounted them as of yet.

Upgrades on Order:

Extrememotorssteve
    Hot Racing Aluminum Fr Shock Tower TN28M01
    Hot Racing Aluminum Rr Shock Tower TE30M01

EverythingRC
    Hot Racing Graphite/ Aluminum Gearbox TE12GX01

HopmeUp
    Xtreme Racing Aluminum Fr Shock Tower 10601ABK
    Xtreme Racing Aluminum Rr Shock Tower 10621ABK
    Losi Shock Rebuild Kits LOSB2906 ( to mount my Losi shocks )
    Losi Shock Mounting Tool LOSA99170 ( nice!!! )

Dollarhobbyz
    Losi Ten-T Rr shocks ( its the fronts that I have already )

This should do it..........
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Lol. Are there any Traxxas parts left on that rig except for the chassis?

Looking forward to the end result and its performance.

Update: Chassis All Cleaned Up Ready for Dye

I have the chassis and top plate all cleaned up & ready for dye.

I actually have the chassis all dyed up but didnt get a chance to take the pics of it. I was off yesterday and spent the day having family time. Taylor ( young lady ) needed some new onsies, and warmer clothes. LOL

Anyways that was the sneak peak. I cleaned off the kitchen table and put my Proline work mat down. I'm going to start working on the front half and so on. The rest of the goodies should be in by the end of the week. As noted the parts list I just placed.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

This looks like it's shaping up into a real nice build. I haven't seen or heard anything about the ET-3s until tonight but looks like it's good up to 3s, comes with a TRX plug soldered on, has a fan, and a little more stout than a sidewinder. Sa-weet!
    Last edited by O.G.; 10-02-2012 at 12:54 AM.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

Update: Rustler Chassis is Dyed

I got the chassis all dyed up now. You can tell where the water level was. It looks worse than what it is. The top side of the chassis shows it the most. I also glued down felt on the battery tray and filled the void in front of it with some CF wrap.

.....TBC.....
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Wooohooo!!! I got some goodies in yesterday to. I also got to do some building on the front end. ;

First off the goodies:

Xtreme Racing Fr/ Rr Shock Towers ( alien looking ) LOL These are actually heavy feeling and tough looking. They might end up being some awesome upgrades.

HR Hybrid Graphite/ Aluminum Gearbox, Losi Shock Rebuild kits

STRC Bellcrank

Now to some real goodies. Hexpax Hexscrews.

This is one of the 4 boxes that came with the 600pc set. These are the armour plated ones.

Team Losi Shock Matching Tool

....TBC....
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

First off a few parts from stock. STRC Gunmetal Aluminum bulkhead & C-block/ carriers. I fastened all of this using the Hexpax Hexscrews and some blue gel locktite.

Now to the Top Plate, Traxxas-2075 Servo, & STRC Belcrank. I had to use some of the stock screws but replaced with Hexpax where I could.

Here it is all put together. Everything went in smoothly and looks great.

One thing I forgot to pick up was a new & better Servo Saver. I just ordered a HR CNC'd one.

I've been in dire need for a set of helping hands for soldering. My back woods country setup wasnt the best. LOL

Well that'll do it for today.....I have a long road ahead of me today. Hopefully get to work on it a little bit more tonight. My hopes are to start tearing down the old tranny and start moving parts into the new HR one. That's my plan at least, maybe more or less. Who knows.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    off to a good start!

I have to say the chassis looks more like a Bandit one, but ok.

Digger, you definately are a build nerd. I wonder if you will ever drive it as long as you have been building on it

Quite sure the end result will be as awesome as your other builds. As we can expect from such an addict, overloaded with perfectionism. Great to watch!