RC poster

Another Summit build thread....

So after years of drooling and a little peer pressure, I broke down and bought a Summit. Having owned a T-Maxx, the electric move was a completely new idea for me. A happy friend of mine and I found a good deal on new Summits and impulse bought two.

This would be the last time the twins would ever be the same.....

RC poster
    Not being a huge Kawasaki fan, the first thing that had to go was the body. I wanted something more fitting my personal taste, so I bought a 1:8 scale gravedigger body and modified it.

I present the Harley Davidson edition Summit!

Build thread complete: they're fully built, lol.
    Something tells me that they're not finished though.

Edit: I was right, but late, lol.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    Haha awesome, what KIND of a good deal makes someone suddenly buy TWO!?

Those wheel weights I see!?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    Haha awesome, what KIND of a good deal makes someone suddenly buy TWO!?

Those wheel weights I see!?
    Those are wheel weights, 9oz in the front and 1.5oz in the rear, testing has shown that they seem to help with crawling....

Edit.... It's the same good deal from Connecticut that it seems alot of people on here have found lately...
    Last edited by Ketchup; 09-19-2012 at 10:45 PM.

RC Competitor
    like the panel body,that not a traxxas body is it

RC Champion
    I didn't realize wheel weights were sold that fit the Summit like that! Good stuff.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    I didn't realize wheel weights were sold that fit the Summit like that! Good stuff.
    Me either wonder if he would be so kind as to tell us where you got them. Also nice job on the body.
    No that is not a Traxxas body, its a Parma body
    Last edited by Edstoys; 09-20-2012 at 10:02 PM.

Nice Summit! Just wondering, what happened to the Kawasaki bodys? I know ther're hard to get, if you still have them (Or one) you should sell them to get some extra cash!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC poster
    ..... Continuing on.... To be quite honest when I first saw that Traxxas had put LED lights on the Summit, I thought that it was a dumb idea.... That was until I found myself crawling with it at dusk, and not wanting to leave. From there I hatched a plan to make my truck look more like a truck, less like Gravedigger, and better when I find myself crawling in the dark.
    I found some 1watt warm white LEDs on eBay for cheap and thought I'd experiment...
    I also bought the Traxxas light bar. I thought about cutting the light bar up and using it for the light buckets. The buckets were obviously too small for the body, so that idea was scrapped. I did find that AA Maglite reflectors were a much closer match, and not wanting to scrap out two good flashlights, I found replacement terralux AA Maglite reflectors off eBay again.... Since terralux is an LED conversion, the center hole was bigger for the LEDs and they didn't need modified. From here I CA glued the LEDs to the back of the reflector, drilled my holes, and installed hooking them up in series to the current light channel with the Y connector from the Traxxas roof light kit.
    The final product:

RC poster
    I just wish I had used another type of glue as CA fogged the lens of my LEDs, but they still work....
    And if you're asking yourself if they make a difference....
    Without:

With:

I prefer the warm white light as it doesn't seem to have the blue tint that most LEDs seem to have.

RC Champion
    looking good : dont forget to post it up so it wont be forgottrn (post up the details and a link to the build)

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ragging-thread

when your ready.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Racer
    Nice work with the lights.

How much larger in size are those 1 watt lights compared to the stock ones and would they fit into the stock bumper mounts?

RC poster
    It looks like I have a few questions that I need to answer, so I'd like to do that now, sorry for the delay:

"like the panel body,that not a traxxas body is it"
    Ed is right, itisa Parma Grave Digger Body.

"I didn't realize wheel weights were sold that fit the Summit like that! Good stuff."
    They don't sell them that I know of either, they were made in my shop, by a happy friend of mine.

"Nice Summit! Just wondering, what happened to the Kawasaki bodys? I know ther're hard to get, if you still have them (Or one) you should sell them to get some extra cash!"
    I still have my summit's body, I think I'm going to hang onto it for awhile, till I decide for sure that I'm not going to run it.

"looking good : dont forget to post it up so it wont be forgottrn"
    Thanks for the heads up, I will do that when it gets further away from stock.

"Nice work with the lights.
    How much larger in size are those 1 watt lights compared to the stock ones and would they fit into the stock bumper mounts?"
    The back portion of the LEDs are quite a bit larger than the stock lights, they won't fit the stock bumper without some serious dremel work, which I've done, but haven't got to that part of the write-up yet... Stay tuned!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ketchup View Post
    The back portion of the LEDs are quite a bit larger than the stock lights, they won't fit the stock bumper without some serious dremel work, which I've done, but haven't got to that part of the write-up yet... Stay tuned!
    Okay thanks, Ill be waiting

RC Champion
    I agree with you, Originally I thought the summit lights were just dumb and "blingy" idea from Traxxas to increase sales, but they are so bright that they really help you navigate when its 7:00pm, getting dark and you are still deep in the desert and a 1/2 mile from home.

Just a thought.
    If you have clear windows (and since you already have a traxxas light bar just collecting dust on your shelv), try mounting the light bar INSIDE the body. Roughly attached under the roof shining out where the rear view mirror would sit. This would not detract from the beauty of the Harley/Digger body and (if your windows are clear) would still function as a true lighting system.
    Just a thought.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by noir 522; 09-23-2012 at 03:27 AM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE