RC poster

Brushed or Brushless

Good Day

I have been lurking for awhile and finally decided to join.
    I have been bashing for years with an old brushed Rustler. recently i bought a 1/16 Slash VXL and both are fun in parking lots and gravel areas but i sort of want to play in the rocks and dirt a bit more,

I am wonder how good is the 1/16 Summit stock? I prefer to keep things stock and upgrade as i break parts wear them out or find a limitation. for just plain old bashing is the brushed version acceptable? I loike the 1/16th size because i can keep it in my car just incase i find that perfect place.

I've seen alot of pictures of the trucks you guys are driving and they are impressive and show what can be done with this little truck.

It wouldn't take much to convert the 16th Slash to a Summit...

In my opinion, the Summit is ok... but needs some parts swapped out right away. Usually after people drive and break these they end up with a 16th Revo with a Summit body.

The rear arms are swept back, causing extra stress on the rear axles, causing them to break. Revo axles are stronger, but it seems that the Revo arms are needed to stop the breakage.

All the 16ths (again, just my opinion) need to be shimmed out of the box. This is a simple process that saves money in the long run. The "how to" is explained in the thread below:
    Setting up your bulkhead

I think you have the right idea... bash, break, fix!
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC poster
    Jimmie

I thought about converting the Slash but I have access to a really large paved surface and currently have it set up for speed. with the optional pinion and 2 batteries in series that thing goes.

I am working on the shimming and noticed my rear diff was empty. And unfortunitly i dropped 2 of the gears and 2 of the shafts and currently am short a shaft, back to the hobby shop I go.

RC Competitor
    We have been going through this discussion too, although started with the Summit and pick up the Slash today, both VXLs. We love the Summit and have been running it with 2 batteries in series putting out 14.4 volts in difficult terrain for about a year. We have had 0 problems with the half shafts. We have upgraded the knuckles and other items, but no decisions yet on the best results from our tests. I like the longer wheelbase and slightly wider track(rear) of the Summit.

I would recommend the VXL version not so much for the motor(although it is faster), but because of the 2.4 Ghz controller and TQi. No crystals and less chance of interference as well as long distance running is good. We are going to get the dock so that we can check out all the temps, rpms, etc. It's really cheaper to buy it altogether up front. I am going on ebay now to buy a 550 motor and 2.5 esc to use for testing as a creeper set up--but won't buy unless I can get them both real cheap.

My son can't wait to get the slash out on the parking lot after school today. After we run it a while, we may actually make it more of a street machine, but who knows?? They are so flexible.

Do you have a mount for the 550?

If not...
    $8 Motor Plate (7380)
    $4 Gear Cover/Hardware (7379)
    $10 Motor Mount (7360)
    $10 Rx Cover (7024x)

This is a picture of the difference in Rx covers:

New style (for big block) is on top.

You probably already have the Rx cover.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    It wouldn't take much to convert the 16th Slash to a Summit...

In my opinion, the Summit is ok... but needs some parts swapped out right away. Usually after people drive and break these they end up with a 16th Revo with a Summit body.

The rear arms are swept back, causing extra stress on the rear axles, causing them to break. Revo axles are stronger, but it seems that the Revo arms are needed to stop the breakage.
    I understand your many suggestions leaning that way now.

Just fyi, we have run our Summit for almost a year using batteries in series a LOT at 14.4 volts(more than a 3S) and have had no problems with the shafts. We had diff problems due to an overtightened slipper clutch(not by us) and very tough terrain, wheelies, etc, but the last few months--all is good. We love the Summit"s extra ground clearance, longer wheel base, lower gearing and wider rear track(albeit small .200 to .400) and much greater articulation(this is a big deal to us since each tire/corner has almost 1/2" extra travel and there are 4 tires/corners).

There are always exceptions to the norm...
    You are one of them!

RC Qualifier
    You can keep the wheel travel with the rockers n change arm to RPM for about 25 bucks n wow what a difference. Traxxas should just partner with them on arms.
    Modded to the Max
    Drive it like its Hot

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrmerv76 View Post
    You can keep the wheel travel with the rockers n change arm to RPM for about 25 bucks n wow what a difference. Traxxas should just partner with them on arms.
    Probably not a bad idea. But, I've never heard of a problem with the A Arms?? Mostly the shafts and joints. How do the RPM Arms help?

RC Qualifier
    Aside from breakage they don't. They will however remove that 10* sweep back that the stock ones have thus lessening the stress on those axles n you will have a higher center clearance center of gravity too though. I put rustler u joint in merv axles m filed down the nub that sticks out. They have thicker post coming off the joint, fun to get in.
    Modded to the Max
    Drive it like its Hot