Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    McHenry, Illinois
    Posts
    648

    Question Need Help With Weels & Hex Hubs

    It's happened to me once before when a wheel must not have been on tight enough....The hex hub strips out the actual wheel itself leaving the tire useless.

    I have recently upgraded the drive-shafts which has allowed me to put tremendous amounts of power to the wheels but now the torque has stripped out a couple brand new rims!

    What is the best way to go with this...and don't say less power.
    Metal rims?
    Beefier hubs/wheels?

    I'm open for suggestions.
    When Boy When, Are You Gonna Get Your Act Together

  2. #2
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Petertje60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Rotterdam, Netherlands
    Posts
    7,277
    I'd say step to 17mm wheels and hexes.
    Nobody is born with experience

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    303



    17mm is the way to go...

  4. #4
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    San Jose, California
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by Rastus View Post
    17mm is the way to go...
    Whats that tire/wheel combo? Looks great.

  5. #5
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    McHenry, Illinois
    Posts
    648
    Quote Originally Posted by lowsaturn View Post
    Whats that tire/wheel combo? Looks great.
    I second that!... And am stepping up ASAP! I'm green when it comes to 17mm though... Will I still need to tape the tires? Is it a simple conversion?
    When Boy When, Are You Gonna Get Your Act Together

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    303
    Those are 3.2" RPM Revolver stablemaxx(wide offset) E Maxx rims for 17mm hexes with Imex 2.8" Bajas and J-7's. Unfortunately I don't know where to get those tires anymore, Imex seems to be out of stock and has been for a long time. The Hexes are simple bolt-ons depending on which axles you have, I use Tekno's and the early pinned MIP's. The Imex tires are 5" tall on the 3.2" rims and 2.75" wide. HPI Aggressors and the stock E Savage tires are 5.5" tall and are direct fit on the 3.2" rims.

  7. #7
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    McHenry, Illinois
    Posts
    648
    I ordered the 17mm conversion kit and was looking at some 3.8 17mm wheels.. Will either zero or 1/2" offset fit?
    When Boy When, Are You Gonna Get Your Act Together

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by beetroot72 View Post
    I ordered the 17mm conversion kit and was looking at some 3.8 17mm wheels.. Will either zero or 1/2" offset fit?
    You want the offset wheels so the tires won't hit the body, 3.8's are pretty big for the Pede. Watch your tire size and keep the diameter 5.5" or less. Badlands may work in 3.8., I have set on an Apache SCT. They are as the name says BAD lol..(in a good way)

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    McHenry, Illinois
    Posts
    648
    Quote Originally Posted by Rastus View Post
    You want the offset wheels so the tires won't hit the body, 3.8's are pretty big for the Pede. Watch your tire size and keep the diameter 5.5" or less. Badlands may work in 3.8., I have set on an Apache SCT. They are as the name says BAD lol..(in a good way)
    Thanks Brother... Is it just me or are their limited options for smaller 17mm wheels? I still have a set of 2.8 badlands but one is stripped beyond repair; I even glued it to the hex! They are a crazy tire... almost too much grip! I'm thinking about gearing down a bit, dropping some trenchers on the 3.8s and maybe adjusting the hubs and suspension to raise it up a bit. This it new territory for me and I just hope I don't end up wasting money... I just killed my wheels which means I'll have to cook my new tires off and mount them on something to use on my boy's 2x4 pede.. A financial nightmare!
    When Boy When, Are You Gonna Get Your Act Together

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    McHenry, Illinois
    Posts
    648
    Quote Originally Posted by Rastus View Post
    You want the offset wheels so the tires won't hit the body, 3.8's are pretty big for the Pede. Watch your tire size and keep the diameter 5.5" or less. Badlands may work in 3.8., I have set on an Apache SCT. They are as the name says BAD lol..(in a good way)
    Wait a min!... Am I understanding that my 2.8 tires...and I have Mashers, Badlands, Trenchers, and yes even Talons will possibly fit on the 3.2's. I have already trimmed the bead on the mashers to fit the stock Traxxas wheels.
    When Boy When, Are You Gonna Get Your Act Together

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    303
    Yes I would mount the 2.8's on the 3.2" rim, don't get the 3.8 Trenchers. They're huge, way to big for the Pede, the Mashers or the 2.8 Trenchers should work great. The 2.8 Badlands are a bit small for the 3.2 rims. What axles and hexes are you running? I pinned a stripped rim to the hex and have ran it hard for a while now without issue with a Monster 2650 on 3s.

  12. #12
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    303
    These are the stock HPI E Savage tires and they are direct fit to the 3.2 rim, good size and they work/wear very well.
    Last edited by Rastus; 09-22-2012 at 08:33 PM.

  13. #13
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Olive Hill, KY
    Posts
    129
    im starting to have the same issue also, too much power lol. i have been looking at the MIP option they have for the 4x4 slash...since the p4de and the slash are basically the same truck. mine has the slash chassis on it, but i still run the 2.8" trenchers...so was wondering if these would work


  14. #14
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by kspec4 View Post
    im starting to have the same issue also, too much power lol. i have been looking at the MIP option they have for the 4x4 slash...since the p4de and the slash are basically the same truck. mine has the slash chassis on it, but i still run the 2.8" trenchers...so was wondering if these would work

    Those should work on the MIP axles.

  15. #15
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    294
    Those are some nice wheel & tire combos. I've been runnin about the same size tire, wheely kind mud thrasher (5.35") on 2.2 rims and must say the big tire little rim look is startin to get old, i may just have to pick up some like yers, heh.

  16. #16
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by dugsguns View Post
    Those are some nice wheel & tire combos. I've been runnin about the same size tire, wheely kind mud thrasher (5.35") on 2.2 rims and must say the big tire little rim look is startin to get old, i may just have to pick up some like yers, heh.
    The handling is very good, you don't have the tall sidewalls of a 2.2 rim and 5" tire and with the 2.8's on the 3.2 rim ballooning is greatly reduced. Too bad Proline doesn't get on the stick and make some proper offset 17mm 2.8" rims for us Stampeder's lol...

  17. #17
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Salisbury, NC
    Posts
    633
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    I'd say step to 17mm wheels and hexes.
    I've got the 17 mm hex adapters and Revolver 3.2's with some 3.2 tires I had laying around that look similar to Mashers but aren't. Now the problem I've got is backing up quick in reverse spins the axle nuts off on the left side (usually front) despite loctite and tighening as much as you can with the aluminum wrench that comes with the adapters to tighten them to the axle.
    Anybody else experience that, and how did you solve it? I thought of double nutting, but my shafts aren't long enough on either the MIP's on the rear, or on the Integy XHD steel shafts on the front to get a second nut on.

  18. #18
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by ROB311952 View Post
    I've got the 17 mm hex adapters and Revolver 3.2's with some 3.2 tires I had laying around that look similar to Mashers but aren't. Now the problem I've got is backing up quick in reverse spins the axle nuts off on the left side (usually front) despite loctite and tighening as much as you can with the aluminum wrench that comes with the adapters to tighten them to the axle.
    Anybody else experience that, and how did you solve it? I thought of double nutting, but my shafts aren't long enough on either the MIP's on the rear, or on the Integy XHD steel shafts on the front to get a second nut on.
    What 17mm hexes do you have? The axle must be spinning inside the hex, do you have the pins in or is it broke?

  19. #19
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    McHenry, Illinois
    Posts
    648
    Finally got it all together... RPM Wide Offset Revolver StableMaxx Wheels, HPI E-Savage Baja Tires with OFNA Truggy/Maxx Foam. Oh, and the AKA 17mm conversion. Another $110 total in the hole!




    Hopefully my problems are solved for the time being!
    When Boy When, Are You Gonna Get Your Act Together

  20. #20
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    58
    How does the size compare to the stock Talons or Proline Trenchers? Looks very good!
    Slash MT
    MMP 2400
    Proline

  21. #21
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    McHenry, Illinois
    Posts
    648
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcsport View Post
    How does the size compare to the stock Talons or Proline Trenchers? Looks very good!
    First off I couldn't wait overnight for the loctite to dry on the 17mm adapters so I took her out just now in damp conditions. Absolutely fabulous! I beat a 3s and about half of a 4s before it got too dark. These tires actually make that screeching skid sound when power sliding just like a real car does! I hit some pavement as well as weed/gravel terrain and they performed wonderfully. The truck is just beefier because of them! It jumps and lands better, climbs over obstacles easier, and looks meaner!

    Here is the stock Talon comparison.. sorry all I had was my modified 2x4 snow tires. (works gr8 BTW)



    And here are the trenchers which after only 3 runs ended up stripped at the hub.



    I can finally bash with the mmp 2400 combo in peace....for now.
    When Boy When, Are You Gonna Get Your Act Together

  22. #22
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    303
    Nice work Beet, check the axle nuts after runs just to make sure they are tight but other than that you are good to thrash lol

  23. #23
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    McHenry, Illinois
    Posts
    648
    Quote Originally Posted by Rastus View Post
    Nice work Beet, check the axle nuts after runs just to make sure they are tight but other than that you are good to thrash lol
    Thanks Again Rastus! ...

    Your tutelage proved to be very beneficial!... I'm lovin' it all over again!
    When Boy When, Are You Gonna Get Your Act Together

  24. #24
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. rag6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    Posts
    13,076
    The j7 tires have done awesome for me. Think imex may be out of business.
    These tires are 2 years old, bashed a couple of times a week, and still have 50% tread left:


    I have never had trenchers, but these have just the right ammt of slip vs traction and wear.

    Check out baldys tire threads in the pede 2w forums. He mounts everything on the ofna 3.2 mt3 splits. Here are the rims on my slash mt from a couple of years ago:


    Those tires were truggy holeshots, but baldy has shown that you can mount anything from monster jam tires, 2.2 masher 2k's, 2.8 trenchers to these 17mm rims. baldydaniels is the username. Check it out
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •