Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

RC Qualifier

Balance & Sharpening the props

Hello everyone, I purchase a balancer and want to experiment on sharpening and proper balancing of the props, recently I bought a newly sharpened and balance props but the price is too much, so I decided to try it myself because the price of the props alone is half the price cheaper than those B&S, could anyone share their experience? Thanks a lot.
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC Racer
    I'd like to know also.

RC Champion
    I sharpen and balance my props and I get alot of enjoyment from it. It takes me about 1 to 2 hours to sharpen and balance a prop.

Make sure to ware a dust mask as it is not good to breath the copper dust.

There are many sites that can explain the process....

Here is one https://astecmodels.co.uk/propeller-balancing.php but ther are alot more.

Good luck and have some fun....
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    I use my dremmel to start with. Mark the heavier blade with a marker and start there. Make sure you take the material off the back side or the convex side. When you are done they should be sharp but you do not have to shave with them. Also always make sure the trailing edge is filed flat and has 90 degree edge. There is one more thing and that is to make sure the prop fits your drive dog properly. Sometimes you have to file the notch to make a proper fit. Do this first before starting to balance. The prather props I purchased come with a great card on how to balance. Like orca says always wear a mask when grinding on the copper props. The stainless props do not pose this threat. Also do not forget the protective eye wear. Once you learn it is a lot of fun.

RC Racer
    I balanced and sharpened my first prop yesterday. It was very easy and I will never buy one pre balanced and sharpened again.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by THEBOMBER View Post
    I balanced and sharpened my first prop yesterday. It was very easy and I will never buy one pre balanced and sharpened again.
    Thats outstanding..... After I sharpened, balanced and polished my first prop I have also not bought a pre serviced prop since.

You will also find that you will need to resharpen etc. from time to time and it is always nice to see a good shinny prop.

Keep up the good work and enjoy your new props and you will now be able to purchase a few spairs......
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    BOMBER, Great! I'm waiting for my balancer to come in my mail.

RC Qualifier
    I receive my balancer, but it's not accurate, sometimes the heavy side goes to the top, what balancer are you guys using, I don't want to use my balancer.

RC Champion
    I have a top flight magnetic balancer and has worked well for me.

Which balancer did you purchase?
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    I use both a magnetic balancer, and a Grim Racer balancer, the type that the balance rod rolls on "rails"

Both work well, I do have a slight preference for the magnetic balancer.

I have noticed on the magnetic balancer that it becomes less sensitive if the pointed tip on the balance rod starts to round off.

The one I have is a pretty inexpensive one. I'm thinking better quality units might use higher quality hardened steel and the tip would not round so easily with use.

hog

RC Racer
    Where did you get the magnetic balancer, Hog?
    Quote Originally Posted by hog View Post
    I use both a magnetic balancer, and a Grim Racer balancer, the type that the balance rod rolls on "rails"

Both work well, I do have a slight preference for the magnetic balancer.

I have noticed on the magnetic balancer that it becomes less sensitive if the pointed tip on the balance rod starts to round off.

The one I have is a pretty inexpensive one. I'm thinking better quality units might use higher quality hardened steel and the tip would not round so easily with use.

hog

RC Champion
    The magnetic balancer is my preference for props on boats and airplanes. Just don't damage the ends and one end on mine is more true than the other so I have marked that end as the end to use for the most accurate balancing.

I use a dynamite static balancer for my rc trucks/car tires... The bearings in this balancer just need to be worked in for a while for it to operate properly. But it sure does a good job on my rc tires and makes a big difference in how they perform.

I bought my magnetic balancer from my local hobby shop but had to buy the "dynimite" balancer on line.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    This is the balancer
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...prod=ose-80310

Dennis - your balancer is magnetic as well
    Hog - I was planning to buy that before, but ending up with the magnetic because it was mentioned more easier to use even though it's in your palm.
    Last edited by Edgemoulic; 10-15-2012 at 11:24 PM.

RC Qualifier
    My Grimracer balancer has arrived, well as I compare on my magnetic bal. this is more accurate I end up finishing balancing & sharpening my props for an hour, I notice that the balancing is a bit sensitive when doing just a few scrub on the props, but it was fun though I'll buy a lot of props. later on to compare the performance. I use the flat file all the way, I don't think it's necessary to use the round file.

RC Champion
    It is fun to sharpen, balance and polish your own props.... And saves a few bucks along the way.

I use a mini flat file mostly as well. The only time I have used a mini round file was to back cut one of my M445's and that prop is used on my nitro powered cat hull. Gave me about 3 more miles a hour, went from 39 to 42 mph.

Back cutting a prop doesn't achieve much on fast electric boats such as our Spartans since we have plenty of low end torque.

So you like your Grimracer balancer better than your magnetic one?
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    I still use my magnetic balancer, for final fast turns which you cannot do on the Grimracer.

RC Racer
    It is possible to post a picture of a prop that show how sharp the blade are need to be for better perfomance? I sharp and balance my first prop 2 months ago , it look like ok but if i can improve it , i ll do it !

Thanks
    Don t Go Fast if you are out of Control !!!!

RC Qualifier
    Here is what I did

I think I mess up with the x642

RC Racer
    Thank s for sharing , it s look like i m not bad , i play with the prop i d balance almost 20 time and got no bearing problem or something like that !

RC Qualifier
    Here's another look on the prather215 with the drive dog & bullet nut

Take your time to do it, patience is the key to a good result, have fun.

RC Racer
    Thank s, it s a part of the hobby that give so fun to do ! i ll take my time to do , when i come home , i ll post some pics of my grimracer 42x55 to compare !!

RC Enthusiast
    that bullet nut. You don't notice any difference with that do you?

RC Qualifier
    I know it's too big, That was my spare though, this is the one I'm using

Less drag on the rear if you have the bullet nut, with the threaded nut it will cause a tornado effect on the end of the props. Which slows the boat.

RC Enthusiast
    TY man. The props look good. Except that one pic you messed up on. When you mess up you really mess up.

RC Champion
    Edgemoulic.... Did you try to sharpen that X642 in a blender?
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    Jasonwipf - YW, well you have to mess up with those things first before perfection. I will work with that x642 this weekend, I hope it could be fix.

RC Qualifier
    Banzee where did you got your Grimracer props?

RC Racer
    i get it from ose

RC Qualifier
    I did my X642 today and look what I did
    Before

After

Saved a couple of bucks on this. Very happy with the result.
    Last edited by Edgemoulic; 11-07-2012 at 02:16 AM.

RC Champion
    With having to remove all that material to clean up the prop, did the size reduce much?

Looks as though it turned out very nice... Just woundering about the size reduction if any.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    Size should be the same, took off just a small amount with the file on the face, then catch up later on with a 220 grit sandpaper

RC Qualifier
    Banzee did you finish your Aquacraft prop.? How it performs?

RC Racer
    The grimracer 42 x 55 perform almost like the stock one , because it got no flex like the plastic stock one , top speed doesn t change that much , ailsmost 1 mph , i gain a little bit of run time ( 1min average ) and temps drop a bit . To play in wave , it s a good one !

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Banzee View Post
    The grimracer 42 x 55 perform almost like the stock one , because it got no flex like the plastic stock one , top speed doesn t change that much , ailsmost 1 mph , i gain a little bit of run time ( 1min average ) and temps drop a bit . To play in wave , it s a good one !
    That Grimracer prop seems to have done a nice job for you. With a little less pitch I can see how it gave a little more run time with lower temps... Nice choice for a stock replacement, Imay have to give one of thoes a try.

I assume you still ran on 6s?
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    That's great!, I bought one too, though I'll use that prop. on my rescue rig. Do you still play on the cold days?

RC Racer
    I will try today some run but i think it will be the last weekend !!

RC Racer
    Yes i run on 6s and 4s , for all around fun with the spartan , i think it s a good choice because most of the time, i don t want to go super fast , so i don t need to put too much prop ! I read a lot here on the forum and the other ( ose) and i found that most of the guys who got a lot of problem try bigger prop ( not everybody , some got problem with stock one) that reason why i began to look for a prop that have a little bit less pitch and try it . For me it work super and got a lot of fun all summer . i break my flex early this spring because i didn t do the maintenance on it ( didn t grease it all for the 5-6 first " big mistake") . After replaced it , i play all summer with another stock one flex and it look like new today just like i bought it yesterday !!

p.s. i just write all that to give you my summer experience and test i did, not to teach you what to do . All of you got your personnal experience and goal . I just want to share mine and maybe can help one of you !!

Banzee

RC Racer
    Here 2 of the prop i balance , could you tell me if you see a difference between the 2 , they are not the same pitch !!

sorry , i tried to put it in the same position !!

RC Qualifier
    Redo the upper prop. you need to clean up the middle part and the back side close to the Center, use a round file in the middle and a flat file in the back you have to do a 90degree angle. Grimracer?
    Last edited by Edgemoulic; 11-18-2012 at 09:08 PM.

RC Racer
    yes grimracer , i did the upper very fast to trying the sooner i can , now i will take time to finish it. So could you tell me witch one got more pitch ??