RC poster

Need a reason to buy a traxxas spartan.

Hey guys,
    Im very sceptical about buying a traxxas spartan. I hear it has overheating issues, what will it take to fix these? And its it just better to buy a roller or(Floater) and use a castle 2200kv motor, and if so what esc would you recomend, Keep in mid it will be running of 6s lipo more specificaly MAXAMPS race Edition 2 3s lipo each at 150c 6500mah. Is it worth buying a spartan and what will need to be fixed or replaced, Im worried with the batterys i run the stock esc and motor will get fried. Can any one help me with making a disition.

I have been reading the forum and every one seems to be doing diff thinks as far as cooling. Im wondering whats the best way to cool it? And it also seems to me that every one is doing diff motors and esc's so im confused on it all just because every one does their own thing. Im just looking for the best option.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-06-2011 at 06:43 PM. Reason: merge

RC Competitor
    Motor wise- Castle 1520,1515,1512,1717

ESC- ******* 180a esc or seaking 180a esc everyone says they are the same esc just rebranded

Water jacket for the motors mentioned above well help which can be purchased if you search for it

to have a more water flowing buy the nitro tubing
    A.K.A MAXX05
    3 Revos and counting
    1 Mini Revo

RC Competitor
    not to mention the prop will need upgrading as well
    A.K.A MAXX05
    3 Revos and counting
    1 Mini Revo

RC poster
    What props are recomended? I dont know prop size or pitch or what any of it means so any help is great.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by traxxas47 View Post
    Hey guys,
    Im very sceptical about buying a traxxas spartan. I hear it has overheating issues, what will it take to fix these? And its it just better to buy a roller or(Floater) and use a castle 2200kv motor, and if so what esc would you recomend, Keep in mid it will be running of 6s lipo more specificaly MAXAMPS race Edition 2 3s lipo each at 150c 6500mah. Is it worth buying a spartan and what will need to be fixed or replaced, Im worried with the batterys i run the stock esc and motor will get fried. Can any one help me with making a disition.
    the hight C rating has nothing to do with the overheatin of the spartan, FYI

Quote Originally Posted by traxxas47 View Post
    What props are recomended? I dont know prop size or pitch or what any of it means so any help is great.
    Props depends alot on the motor you decide to use
    let us know what motor you chose and we can start from there
    Lower kv would need a bigger prop, higher kv needs a smaller prop to get the same speeds and to keep thing under check
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

RC poster
    Well my two choices for motors would be the stock velineon and esx, or the Castle 2200kv motor and im think that 180am esc you recomended.

But to be hounest im think im going to have to run the stock motor and esc for some time atleast a few months befor i have money to get the 2200kv motor and 180amp esc so what are my options?

Im thinking a daul pick up ruder so the motor and esc have their own fresh water supply. bigger tubing for more water flow, Up graded 68mm turn fins from kenect and the ajustible trip tabs things of this nature im thinking. What do you think?
    Last edited by traxxas47; 04-03-2011 at 05:52 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    if your running the stock motor and esc you really can't go up to much with prop choices
    but you can try a X440/3, and a X442
    this is a two pole motor and they are very sensitive to proping up. that's why we are seeing issues with heat in the Spartan
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

All of our testing was done with the stock prop. If you experience any problem operating your Spartan with other props and need customer service, make sure you explain what prop you are using.

RC Enthusiast
    would using an aftermaket prop void your waranty if something were to fail on the boat?

RC Qualifier
    Funny how there isn't a reply here for Panama Jack's ?
    PM for info.....

RC Qualifier
    probably because nobody has seen this thread in like 2+ years... They are talking about the v1 spartan anyway.... And nowhere in the manual does it say damage from changing props will void warranty. So Id say no it doesnt void anything. Imho i think traxxas made a mistake by using a system where the prop size is maxed out for the (small 80a) system....