Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 560 of 778
  1. #521
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    Hey guys I think I finally want to get into this whole racing thing

    My question is
    Is the Strc kit the best one out there?
    its just a matter of opinion, but the strc is the best bang/buck.

    you can spend less but not much less. strc is 100 bucks, ebay has a "fiberglass" style lcg for 70'ish and theres also the new traxxas rally chassis conversion (which shares parts with the new slash) but by the time you do a full conversion youre around 70-80 or more. you would have to be a fool to cheap out for 30-40 bucks...besides my lipo setup and the truck itself, this was the best money ive spent on my truck. it makes me smile everytime i use it or even look at it.

    i do like the looks of the trce (all carbon fiber) BUT its also the prime reason i dont want it, the carbon base plate can get scraped up pretty easy...and yes, you can use a chassis protector like i did on my strc, but a bad thing about fiberglass is it can crack/split up internally and you wont know it unless you put a load on it, so it can cause some tuning nightmares after a lot of use. with aluminum, if its flat then youre good.

    ssc has a good setup but i think its heavier than the strc, and ive read here someone has managed to bend it up...ive taken some hard, HARD hits at the track with this chassis and its solid. ssc would be my 2nd or third choice because id like to try the traxxas rally conversion.

  2. #522
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    cali
    Posts
    444
    so far i have decieded on this shell for now the weekend might bring a new body to me but we will have to see wiring still not complete have to make a trip to the lhs

  3. #523
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    45
    lets see if you guys could help. i have a proline flo tek and it wont fit on my chassis correctly, i have to oush it so far onto the front bumper to clear wheel wells and fit, but i dont like it how hard its bending on the front bumper

  4. #524
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    cali
    Posts
    444
    traxxas bumper or rpm? you might have to trim out a little more of the wheel well but ihavent had to much trouble getting the flo tek bodies to fit my slashesor the extended body post from pl
    Last edited by blknryzn; 12-28-2012 at 02:29 AM.

  5. #525
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    45
    i may just have to get a rpm bumper now. i only got the stock one,

  6. #526
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Alberta Canada
    Posts
    896
    Have any of you guys have a problem with the steering drag link hitting the front diff? mine hits and gets stuck every time

  7. #527
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ft. Stewart, GA
    Posts
    594
    Had the same problem, my link on my servo was too long and would cause the steering link to hit every time, got a servo saver and hasn't had any problems since!


    Sent from my iPhone4
    Whatever I just said.. I'm probably wrong..

  8. #528
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ft. Stewart, GA
    Posts
    594
    I'm not gonna lie guys after having the SSC an going to the STRC I feel like I have a very solid build now, and the look and feel is awesome! The SSC feels like I built it in my garage and the STRC looks and feels like I had it built by Ferrari lol! I almost don't wanna put it o the track but its so easy to tear down and clean why not! Now I just have to get an epic vinyl for the underside! Will post pics when I get it made!



    Sent from my iPhone4
    Whatever I just said.. I'm probably wrong..

  9. #529
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Germany (near Bonn)
    Posts
    236
    Finally ive got a new telemetry receiver with long antenna I also got new springs from Hot Racing and all the wiring is done. Ok... wiring isnt very clean, but I didnt wanted to shorten servo or ESC wires. Now I have to wait (its time to sleep lol) a few hours to hit the road.



  10. #530
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Springfield, Ma.
    Posts
    3,359
    Quote Originally Posted by supradrew View Post
    its just a matter of opinion, but the strc is the best bang/buck.

    you can spend less but not much less. strc is 100 bucks, ebay has a "fiberglass" style lcg for 70'ish and theres also the new traxxas rally chassis conversion (which shares parts with the new slash) but by the time you do a full conversion youre around 70-80 or more. you would have to be a fool to cheap out for 30-40 bucks...besides my lipo setup and the truck itself, this was the best money ive spent on my truck. it makes me smile everytime i use it or even look at it.

    i do like the looks of the trce (all carbon fiber) BUT its also the prime reason i dont want it, the carbon base plate can get scraped up pretty easy...and yes, you can use a chassis protector like i did on my strc, but a bad thing about fiberglass is it can crack/split up internally and you wont know it unless you put a load on it, so it can cause some tuning nightmares after a lot of use. with aluminum, if its flat then youre good.

    ssc has a good setup but i think its heavier than the strc, and ive read here someone has managed to bend it up...ive taken some hard, HARD hits at the track with this chassis and its solid. ssc would be my 2nd or third choice because id like to try the traxxas rally conversion.
    My TeamRCE rally got run over by a full size suv on thanksgiving.....here's pix and threadhttp://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...44#post5359044

    Yes it'll get scratches and scars but so will your alloy! If a crack does appear in my chassis, I can keep driving but yours wont crack like mine, it'll bend and break!
    im not knocking the strc kit at all, I love it. It looks like a great alternative for less. Im just stating my experience.
    Last edited by thedreadedend; 12-29-2012 at 07:36 PM.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

  11. #531
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Germany (near Bonn)
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by thedreadedend View Post
    My TeamRCE rally got run over by a full size suv on thanksgiving.....here's pix and threadhttp://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...44#post5359044

    Yes it'll get scratches and scars but so will your alloy! If a crack does appear in my chassis, I can keep driving but yours wont crack like mine, it'll bend and break!
    im not knocking the strc kit at all, I love it. It looks like a great alternative for less. Im just stating my experience.
    The time will tell if someone has bending issues with the STRC chassis but I dont think that this will happen. If you get the chance to get a closer look at it, youve got the same oppinion. Someone at this forum tried to bend it with raw muscle strength... no chance...

    I cant see a link in your post...

  12. #532
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Mt. Washington, KY
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by thedreadedend View Post
    My TeamRCE rally got run over by a full size suv on thanksgiving
    I will be very upset if a full size SUV is on the track, lol.
    Normal racing will not bend this chassis.

  13. #533
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Germany (near Bonn)
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridic View Post
    I will be very upset if a full size SUV is on the track, lol.
    me too!

    Pianos that will fall from the sky are dangerous too!
    Last edited by Beholder_74; 12-29-2012 at 08:34 PM.

  14. #534
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by thedreadedend View Post
    My TeamRCE rally got run over by a full size suv on thanksgiving.....here's pix and threadhttp://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...44#post5359044

    Yes it'll get scratches and scars but so will your alloy! If a crack does appear in my chassis, I can keep driving but yours wont crack like mine, it'll bend and break!
    im not knocking the strc kit at all, I love it. It looks like a great alternative for less. Im just stating my experience.
    well, we all dont go around looking to have our trucks ran over, lol...nice to see yours holds up and you dont have any crazy bad damage. i did notice you didnt post the underside pictures

    i know aluminum doesnt like to bend back into form much and does have the tendency to crack when forced back into place...but, at the end of the day its still a metal...and you can weld metal, carbon fiber, not so much. but that out of the question, mines a lot cheaper...so, if a truck runs it over i wont want to kill myself so badly.
    so, i can keep going as to why mine is better but we all know;
    strc>trce>ssc>traxxas lcg>ebay fiberglass>stock high-cg<losi/associated/etc..
    i win.

    beholder, nice top gear reference lol! they only rain down when ebay chassis' roll out on the track.

    as for the "cracking" carbon fiber that i was talking about...some cracking can occur and wont be detectable thats the headache i dont want...the scratching and scuffing can be prevented just like they can be with aluminum...see my previous post with my protector skin, its much like a phone screen protector but double or triple thick. ive bashed with it pretty hard and my chassis is still 100% green...oh, and thats another good thing about aluminum...even IF it got scratched or lost its color, you can refinish it then re-anodize it back to life over and over again. trust me im not bashing carbon, im really just giving you a hard time...but for this application, aluminum FTW

  15. #535
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Germany (near Bonn)
    Posts
    236
    Whooooojeaaaaah! First street-testdrive completed. What a difference to the stock chassis. No chance to bring the car on the roof... even with a setup that is to soft for streetfighting.The weight is now where it has to be - next to the ground. The car sounds like a good oiled sewing machine because of the free drifeshaft. To all of you that didnt tried the STRC bellcrank so far... its worth the money too. The handling of my car is so amazing easy...its like driving an electrical tram.

    The only bad thing I can see so far is, that I have to invest in more powerfull lipos to get a kick.

    The racing season could come - cant wait to race all the Loosis and Assos to the ground
    Last edited by Beholder_74; 12-30-2012 at 09:54 AM.

  16. #536
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySSG View Post
    I'm not gonna lie guys after having the SSC an going to the STRC I feel like I have a very solid build now, and the look and feel is awesome! The SSC feels like I built it in my garage and the STRC looks and feels like I had it built by Ferrari lol! I almost don't wanna put it o the track but its so easy to tear down and clean why not! Now I just have to get an epic vinyl for the underside! Will post pics when I get it made!



    Sent from my iPhone4
    Exactly what my buddy says when he compares his SSC side by side with my STRC. I'm just glad someone else posted it as otherwise it would look like I was picking on them but if your charging that kind of money the machine work should look great. Thats why the STRC at 99 bucks just stands out so much is the machine work is excellent and really looks great. It is quality you can see and feel once one is in your hand.

  17. #537
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    156
    Did race my production version STRC chassis setup today. I only ran our 3rd round and managed to qualify 3rd overall and in the A main I just drove pretty smoothly and took the win first time out with it. The chassis was perfect but need to mess with with my shock settings and oil weights but at least I had a chance to shake the truck down.

    I also did shim my center diff to take out some play. I said before I never really notice the play on the stock chassis and prototype STRC chassis. It was mentioned before from Steve and he has it on the website if anyone wanted to do it. Now I did shim mine a little tighter as I used 3 of the axle shims but I still have a liitle movement so its not too tight but 2 would work for those who would like just a little more play.

  18. #538
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Germany (near Bonn)
    Posts
    236
    Im not very satisfied with the quality of the Traxxas pinions. Did someone used the Hot Racing pinions or pinions from other brands? What pinion alternatives do I have with the stock gear?

  19. #539
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    334
    I run both Traxxas and Robinson Racing pinions mainly because thats what my lhs has available. I have had a couple Traxxas pinions crack and break at the grub screw but haven't had any issues with the Robinson Racing pinions
    No Limit RC of Maryland

  20. #540
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Alberta Canada
    Posts
    896
    RR all the time for me, and never aluminum!

    Got my first little run with the new chassis, there is some binding in my drive train i got to fix and its really noisey

  21. #541
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Germany (near Bonn)
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by SlashDigger View Post
    I run both Traxxas and Robinson Racing pinions mainly because thats what my lhs has available. I have had a couple Traxxas pinions crack and break at the grub screw but haven't had any issues with the Robinson Racing pinions
    I have a broken pinion thread. I thought it was the grub screw and used a new one but it doesnt solved the problem. I didnt get the screw tighten... Fortunately I have a range of Traxxas pinions but I wont buy them anymore... I think that Robinson Racing pinions are the next I will buy.

  22. #542
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Germany (near Bonn)
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx_Adam View Post
    RR all the time for me, and never aluminum!

    Got my first little run with the new chassis, there is some binding in my drive train i got to fix and its really noisey
    Check your driveshaft... maybe its bended a little bit... I dont think it has something to do with the chassis...
    Last edited by Beholder_74; 12-31-2012 at 09:25 AM.

  23. #543
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    45
    Hey one question is I have tore up 2 spurs in 2 weeks. I set the mesh right with part and itran great for an hour then it just melted the spur. Any guess whyn do u need loctite on the bottom screen (longest one) on the motor mount?

  24. #544
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ft. Stewart, GA
    Posts
    594
    Did u shim it with the Teflon washers? I noticed when I tested the play the spur would move really far back and in reverse back forward with 2 washers in at the rear diff it helped the play a lot then I reset the pinion and it was a perfect mesh! Don't know of it'd help but it's a thought!


    Sent from my iPhone4
    Whatever I just said.. I'm probably wrong..

  25. #545
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Alberta Canada
    Posts
    896
    Quote Originally Posted by Beholder_74 View Post
    Check your driveshaft... maybe its bended a little bit... I dont think it has something to do with the chassis...
    Its fine, its pretty much just in the rear diff case.

    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySSG View Post
    Did u shim it with the Teflon washers? I noticed when I tested the play the spur would move really far back and in reverse back forward with 2 washers in at the rear diff it helped the play a lot then I reset the pinion and it was a perfect mesh! Don't know of it'd help but it's a thought!


    Sent from my iPhone4
    I used a small rubber shim because it moved a lot now its got a small big of movement and full movement with some force,

  26. #546
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    cali
    Posts
    444

  27. #547
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    cali
    Posts
    444
    changed the tires on this one gonnna run hazzards and barcodes
    Last edited by blknryzn; 01-01-2013 at 03:36 AM.

  28. #548
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Germany (near Bonn)
    Posts
    236
    @blknryzn

    very nice builds... Im yealous... hoping to save the money to buy the castle set-up youve got on your blue rocket

  29. #549
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    156
    Some very nice setups posted. Guys have some very nice Slash 4x4's

  30. #550
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    cali
    Posts
    444
    ty guys gonna do rally on the orange i have to wait on the bumper kit have to do my son's and grandson first they want rally slashes now lol kids first

  31. #551
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    MISSOURI
    Posts
    390
    I LOVE MY STRC LCG !CANT WAIT FOR THE RACE SEASON TO START. I STILL HAVE SOME NEW PARTS TO GET BUT I COULDNT HELP GETTN IT TOGETHER. I USED A LED HOUSING TO MOUNT MY ANTENNA I GOT FROM RADIOSHACK. USED DRANO TOO DE ANODIZE THE BLUE TRAXXAS PARTS AND BUFFED THEM. WENT WITH HOT RACING HUBS. INTERESTED ON THE EXTRA CAMBER LINKS IN THE BACK WILL DO.THE SSC EXTENDA ARMS ARE THE SECOND BEST INVESTMENT NEXT TO THE STRC LCG. STILL GOT SOME WORK TO DO .
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    EFFORT EQUALS RESULTS

  32. #552
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    110
    nice setup man^^^^^^^

    i like the antenna mount idea, i ended up drilling a separate hole and superglued the post in place, i may go this route if the glue doesnt hold up.

    also, good tip with the drano de-anodizing...i had to put my center driveshaft in my drill and ran it through a couple sheets of 6-800 grit sand paper to get the blue off.

    looks good with the polished bits.

  33. #553
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    110
    also, am i the ONLY person that bought the green chassis?!

  34. #554
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    MISSOURI
    Posts
    390
    I used a brand of drain opener named liquid lightning. 5 to ten minutes . Stunk bad but did a great job i would love to do it to the motor. Used a dremel and mothers. On the led housing i took out the led and then put the plastic tip that held the led in place back in it then drilled hole in plastic to fit the tube .the a dab of superglue just for good measure .thanks for checkn it out . I wish i went green or somethin else but i go thru alot of bodies and didnt wana get tied down to a color .
    EFFORT EQUALS RESULTS

  35. #555
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    110
    good point with the color choice...its my fav but i also like it because not a lot of guys at my track run green.

  36. #556
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    cali
    Posts
    444
    i picked up a green one also for a backslash build

  37. #557
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    cali
    Posts
    444
    doublepost

  38. #558
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    110
    i found we can get replacement parts for pretty cheap, thanks again strc...this was a nice surprise
    http://www.teamstrc.com/index.php?ro...path=46&page=3

    i was just browsing, not because i broke anything by the way...

  39. #559
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by supradrew View Post
    good point with the color choice...its my fav but i also like it because not a lot of guys at my track run green.
    I have a green 2wd Slash setup with LCG chassis. I have the Proline chassis on with all green STRC parts (hubs, knuckles, caster blocks, bulkhead, and shocks.). It really looks good. Just getting ready to put it back together as Proline finally has the rear bumper setup out that works with their gear diff tranny. What a huge improvement over the stock setup.

  40. #560
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    cali
    Posts
    444
    ok did do another body here is finished product

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •