RC Enthusiast

Back in the saddle

hey guys, new to the forums, a few years ago i used to own an associated rc10-gt, revo 2.5, and jato 3.3. got out of the rc deal for a while and said if i ever went back id go electric, so i kept my word and picked up a slash4x4 over the weekend and I'm real happy with it so far. only thing is im not very educated with the whole battery and brushless concept being that all i knew was nitro motors lol. so i did some reading and what i decided to do was pick up a battery charger and two gens ace 5000mah 25c 2s1p lipos. I'm hoping i made a first good choice In the batteries so that i can hopefully get a little more power and runtime. but also i would love to hear some ideas and input of what i can do and what i should do to make the slash a good basher/weekend racer. hope to get back into this!

RC Champion
    Is it the HCG or the LCG chassis? Adding sway bars and a center diff are the first mods for making it into a weekend racer if you stay on 2s lipos.
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Enthusiast
    Yes the gens are in my opinion the 2nd best out of all the batteries. Max amps would be best but are twice the price. Look around and find slash 4x4 mods. There's a bunch that will help with keeping dirt out of places.

RC Enthusiast
    i got the hcg chassis, reason being is id rather have the ground clearance than the stability since I'm not going to get really competitive with it and for bashing i do mostly grass and some sand every now and then. and i was looking at the max amps and my pockets weren't happy lol, so i figured why not get 2 gens ace for about 40$ each

RC Champion
    The lcg chassis is bash-able. I run my lcg through grass alot. But mainly on asphalt as that's what I got here in SE Texas other than the beach. As suggested, center diff and sway bars. I would also suggest lowering your ride height to have more control in corners and at speed.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Champion
    I agree with ManDime, my LCG chassis is very bashable and handles really well, you can high center it but that doesn't happen very often.

Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help!

A 2s lipo is a good start for you. It will bring longer run times and more consistent power. Do you know if you have the we four pole motor system in your truck? Can you please post a picture?
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Enthusiast
    Not sure what I have to be honest lol like I said before I'm new to the electric world so I really don't know what to do yet or what I need to know in order to upgrade motor/esc components. All I know is I have a velineon motor and vxl-3s speed controller lol. Also I don't know how to post an image on here, I don't see a button /link to attach a picture

RC Champion
    There is a thread that is pinned in the "Alley" sub-forum that will help you post a photo. Are you on the tapatalk app? You may be able to upload a photo off the app but not everyone is able to.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Enthusiast
    Figured it out!

Nice truck, looks like you have the updated 4 pole motor and esc.
    It should be a runner!
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks, and everything always looks good new! Haha I'm trying to keep it clean after each run. But what's the difference between 4 pole and other motors?

RC Racer
    Welcome back and good choice. I used to always run nitro myself but a body of mine got me hooked on brushless from a merv. Now my collection just keeps getting bigger and bigger lol. Reliability is one thing. 4 pole is better. I believe the 4 pole also has more torque but don't quote me on that as I myself am constantly learning more and more about electric
    slash 4wd upgraded

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mxrider9239 View Post
    Thanks, and everything always looks good new! Haha I'm trying to keep it clean after each run. But what's the difference between 4 pole and other motors?
    Welcome back to the hobby. From what I have heard the 4 pole motor will have more torque and run cooler than the 2 pole. It is a nice upgrade over the original motor.

RC Champion

The 4 pole 3500kv and vxl3s will run way cooler than my mamba max pro and 3800kv. The velinion will be 10-15* F cooler than my 3800kv and will take off the line quicker cause of its lower kv rating. However it will have a have a slightly slower top speed (maybe 2 mph difference). The "no load" rpm's can be figured out by multiplying the kv's by the battery voltage.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Enthusiast
    So what is an optimum or "normal" temperature range that these motors should be running? Because we all know one persons warm can be someone else's hot, and also from what I've been researching the lower the kv rating the more torque a motor will have and the higher kv will have more top end? Also the battery you use will also affect the motors performance obviously since everyone is using lipos, which I still need to learn more about

So what is an optimum or "normal" temperature range that these motors should be running? Because we all know one persons warm can be someone else's hot, and also from what I've been researching the lower the kv rating the more torque a motor will have and the higher kv will have more top end? Also the battery you use will also affect the motors performance obviously since everyone is using lipos, which I still need to learn more about
    You dont want your motor over 160f for any reason if at all possible.
    Lower kv will deliver more torque but also give greater gearing options, this makes it possible to go faster then higher kv motors.
    If you get to high on the kv chart the motor has to work harder creating more heat losing efficiency.
    IMO the 3500kv 540 can as a 2 pole wasn't enough for the 4wd slash, never ran the 4 pole version so can't give an honest opinion on it, tho it should be twice the motor.

RC Racer
    Congrats on the new truck! That's a good battery choice. Had a few back for my 1/16 scales. That's too bad they don't have the mud terrains anymore. I like the kuhmo tires. Those ones didn't perform the best in the 1/16 platform.
    (1) Ultimate Slash 4x4 & (1) HCG Slash 4x4

RC Enthusiast
    Hmm ok does anyone run some type of temperature gauge or is it not really worth it? And good to hear I picked some decent batteries lol, oh and also should I installed the other pinion gear that came with my slash or should I just leave it stock?

RC Champion
    Looks great! Those are the s1 compound tires right? Enjoy your HCG, it may not be the best performing chassis but it's tougher than nails.

RC Enthusiast
    Not sure what tires they are, all I know is they are different than the older slash model tires that I've seen.

Hmm ok does anyone run some type of temperature gauge or is it not really worth it? And good to hear I picked some decent batteries lol, oh and also should I installed the other pinion gear that came with my slash or should I just leave it stock?
    A temp gun is a must in this hobby, absolutely worth it.
    The esc has a thermal shut down however the motor does not.
    Any time the motor get around 200 or more the magnets will loose a bit of magnetism causing slow but sure power loss

RC Qualifier
    +1 to what Billy said. A temp gun is only around $10 and is the first thing everyone should buy when they get into this hobby (well, buy the RC first. LOL). On my first Velineon motor the magnets separated from the shaft because I was running it too hot and didn't know it and it cost me $65 to get a new one. $10 is much cheaper.

RC Enthusiast
    ok great thanks for the help and info guys, really appreciate it!