Thread: What is this?

RC poster

What is this?

Well if it's not obvious, this is my first r/c car. I know a nitro probably isn't the best or friendliest starter, but i got a jato 3.3 for free from a guy at work. He said it was a money pit and he was tired of buying new parts from all the stuff that breaks. (he's not very soft on the freight at work either lol)

anyway, he said if I could fix it back up and enjoy it i could have it. I got it home, and am going through the stuff that needs fixed.

First: its the bottom coil stopper thing. its missing from the passenger side.

second was a bent tie rod that i already replaced from one of the 9 extra he sent.

third he said the glow plug was bad, but has a brand new one in this box of stuff so i guess ill tackle that soon.

fourth is all the dirt from it never being cleaned.

if y'all got any tips on what else needs to be cleaned and checked, i'd greatly appreciate it.

here's a few pics:

yes there is an auxiliary fuel tank plumbed in... not mine.

this is the thing i was asking about. the shock holder on the bottom.

RC Racer
    Probably won't be a bad idea to download the exploded parts view. Do a complete tear down to see what else might be needed. Keep us updated, we can help you bring this car back to life.

Sent from Mars Curiosity.

RC Racer
    Do u mean the white
    Rod

RC Racer
    The entire car. That's probably the top 10 in most neglected RC, in my book. There's hope for it. Hate to see you get it back together, just to find you need to tear it all apart again. Besides, it'll give you a better understanding how your RC is put together. That's part of owning it. There's a lot of great people here that can guide you. We were all RC Newbies, Too!

Sent from Mars Curiosity.

The part that holds the spring on the bottom of the shock is a lower spring retainer.

http://buy.traxxas.com/advanced_sear...p?partnum=5465
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC poster
    Lower spring retainer, thanks.

Best site for parts is directly from traxxas I assume?

RC Racer
    Your LHS (Local Hobby Shop) will carry Traxxas parts.

RC poster
    The closest lhs that I know of is about 45 mins away lol. I am planning a trip for saturday maybe but will probably end up buying a lot of the stuff online.

Seriously though, thanks for the quick replys and help. Lord knows ill need it.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by BAD RC View Post
    Your LHS (Local Hobby Shop) will carry Traxxas parts.
    wouldn't that be nice, if it's not a SCT or have wings they don't carry it. My LHS that is. It's 30 mins each way. I always hear "we can order it" And I always say " so can I" see ya LOL

RC Champion
    I get mot of my stuff from ebay and tower hobbies.
    Rustler-3.3,Revo-Hyper .21,Jato-3.3
    lots of mods

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by pbflash View Post
    I get mot of my stuff from ebay and tower hobbies.
    you got it, +1

RC poster
    Alright so another question. What do u guys use to clean? What can't be cleaned with water, what cleaning chemicals, etc. I know servos and the radio can't but exhaust, starter, things of that nature. And what gets gunk off the best? I'm in the process of cing plastic parts right now.

RC Racer
    When I do a complete disasemble i put a couple inches of hot water and dish soap in the sink. Use an old tooth brush and scrub away.
    not the electronics. The engine, I don't soak it but put my thumb over the carb and just use the tooth brush to clean it.

RC poster
    thanks. I did a half cleanup, and put it back together, drove all the way to the hobby shop and bought a wiring harness and fuel, and as my other thread says, I can't get it started.

oh, and the front part of the chassis the tie rods connect to is broken and stripped. found that out after taking the glue off lol.