RC Racer

How do you know when a SERVO is bad ??

Yesterday my car became undrivable. It wants to wander all over the road. It will not go straight. Whenever it goes in a little divet in the road it goes all over the place. I rebuilt the front steering from the servo to the tie rods and that made no difference. When I have the car in the air and give it throttle I steer the front around a little and it jitters left and right the whole time. It never really wants to stay straight. I fired up my other car which I'm keeping nice not for bashing and it doesn't do this. Where you steer it in the air it stays there. When you let go of the steering it goes straight and doesn't go left and right. Is my servo bad ?? I've played with toe in and toe out it makes no difference.

When it stops working! Sorry bud, I think your servo is bad!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Qualifier
    Are you still running the crappy 2075 servo? If so replace it with something with metal gears.

RC Racer
    Yes I am. I haven't had the car out tonight. Raining here. So I thought that i'd start robbing parts off my other car. As we speak I'm replacing the whole front end of the car. I'm thinking that the caster blocks are so wore out that its making it go all over the place. When a servo starts going bad will it just fail or will the steering get sloppy when held in the air giving it throttle and steering it ?? It never holds the tires still it just flutters left and right.

RC Qualifier
    Those 2075 servos run plastic gears and take next to nothing to break teeth, it's a wonder traxxas don't make them metal gears Because they would be a great servo. I've found they won't hold center and when your driving the car turns its self and you're constantly correcting it.

RC Racer
    Just fired the car up in the air and it holds steady now. Hopefully it doesn't rain tomorrow my play time is running short !!! Almost time to get the sleds out. I'm going through withdrawl not being able to rip up my street.

RC poster
    I replaced my mini revo servo with a Hitec which has metal teeth. However, I must admit that I was happier with the performance of the Traxxas one. The hitec doesnt always center itsself from right turns. I replaced the original servo when It started pulling so much power it would prevent prevent the receiver from binding to the transmitter. (Blinking red light) Once I get my new gears installed on the traxxas servo, I will try it again. Best of luck!

RC Qualifier
    You should run a Bec with a hitec servo.

RC Racer
    Futaba make a specific car servo its a S9352HV, specific car servo. Runs 7.4V at does 22Kg at 0.06s

RC Qualifier
    its probabaly the steering bulkhead and bell crank .. did you experience any hi speed crashes with it >?
    XO-1,SLASH 4X4 ,SLASH 2WD , 2/RUSTLER

RC Racer
    Not any hard crashes in a long time. I crashed it last weekend at 85 mph but it hit nothing. It actually drove fine for 2 days after that crash. It just seemed over night the thing wouldn't drive. I replaced the caster blocks and that got rid of the steering never staying still but I have yet to get the car back out. Darn rain !!! The road is starting to dry off it rained overnight again. Once it drys off I'll be out there.

RC Racer
    Well its alot better. Still isn't like how it was before though. I geared it down 2 teeth just so I don't crash it hard. What it is doing now it under hard acceleration it pulls right. When I let off the throttle no brakes just coasting it pulls left !!! I set the tires so it is toed in just a little.

RC Qualifier
    I can't stress enough how important it is to check your wheel bearings. Bad ones will make your car drive all over the place and you will chase your tail for days trying to find the problem.

RC Racer
    I just checked wheel bearings about an hour ago and the left front one was shot so thats why it was pulling left I think. Now its raining again so I can't check it out. Wish I would of checked back on here to read your post I might of beat the rain. Great observation Stench Of Speed. BennyG6 I replaced the steering bellcranks. Didn't replace the bulkhead but thought that I'd share a little bit of info with you guys. I was having a heck of a time putting the new servo saver on. Thats the tough spring. I was getting my butt kicked trying to get that bearing on to hold the retainer from popping off. I grabbed 1/2" flat washer from the garage. I used this to push the retainer down with one hand and with the size of the big washer you get more fingers on it to help push the spring and spring retainer down. The 1/2" flat washer gives plenty of room to pop that bearing back in with your other hand. That 1/2" washer I added to my tool kit. LOL Hope this helps you guys in the future !

RC Qualifier
    man i put a spring from a differnt car dont know if it was revo or emaxx but i couldnt get it to stay for life of me , even when I got the bearing seated it would just pop right off lol

RC Qualifier
    Now I'm scared to take mine off lol

RC poster
    hay man, i am having he same problem you are or where having its driving me crazy!!! i replaced the servo for a savox and i paid 130 for it. i was hoping it fix my problem but it did not. its all over the place and its pulling right. can you point me the right deriction on how to fix it.
    thanks

RC Qualifier
    have to check the draglink , part # trax 6445 when that becomes sloppy i believe it causes it to wander , you can try a mod from this forum where somone wrapped the screw with white plumber tape then installed .........
    btw what steering percentage are you running , because everytime I do speed runs I have to turn it down so much that it can barely do a U turn to come back , that way when I see it starts pulling I can correct enough that it doesnt over steer to other side at higher speeds ..... it because once it gets over 50-70mph it doesnt pull just in the beginning which could also be torque steer kicking in
    this is what ive tried and seems to see , but this could just be my ride and yours could be somthing else
    http://buy.traxxas.com/popup_image.php?pID=9071

RC Racer
    BennyG6 don't forget about them shoulder screws. I have stripped out 2 bellcranks so far. I think when the car crashes it rips the plastic threads out. I'll post what most of my problems were tomorrow. I still have just a small issue.... bump steer. It seems to me that maybe with the cold weather now its making bumps that were once manageable aren't anymore. I keep great notes with changes I make on snowmobiles. But now I'm beginning to realize I should write stuff down with changes I make to these XO-1's as well. Thats whats kicking me right now. I fixxed this problem when I bought this car now I can't remember what I did. When I was chasing this thing I changed everything. Now I have it fixxed but it is snagging little bumps and I can't remember what the heck I did. ARRRGHH !!!!!!!!

RC Racer
    First thing I did was replace the caster blocks and steering blocks. The holes were ovaled out where the shoulder bolts hold the steering blocks. The steering blocks were wore so bad that you could wiggle them up and down alot. This helped alot. I started going through all the screws making sure everything was tight and found out my steering bellcrank was stripped out. Its actually my second one I replaced. When I did that I rebuilt the whole steering bellcrank assembly, even a new spring. I also found a bad bearing in the left front. It was spinning out only now. It started doing this because I turned the shock tensions back to where they were stock when I was chasing this thing. This back end was coming around left. I turned the left rear shock tighter. I think it took 2 turns. When I had it 3 turns it would spin out the other way. I can pretty much give it full throttle on the center line of the road and it will stay right on the line all the way up to 72 mph.