Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

TC Shocks on MERV

I was wondering if anyone has tried to put any TC shocks on the MERV since I think the stock ones are a lil to small for the truck imo
    Jason

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRCRacer8
    I was wondering if anyone has tried to put any TC shocks on the MERV since I think the stock ones are a lil to small for the truck imo
    I have some in my garage an NTC3 actually. If I remember the diameter of the shocks are a little too big for it. I'll check when I get home... might get away with spacers on it
    MBX6T CC 1520
    CF Sav Flux CC 1520
    MERV Neu 1112

RC Racer
    Custom Shock tower woundn't be extremely hard to make either.

RC Qualifier
    TC3 Spring size :
    The TC3 springs are 25mm long, about 16mm outside diameter, and about 14mm inside dia.

RC Enthusiast
    so has anyone tried this yet?
    Jason

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRCRacer8
    so has anyone tried this yet?

Someone in another forum used TRF M chassis shocks:
    http://www.rctech.net/forum/6335093-post1308.html

RC Qualifier

RC Qualifier

Smile Yeah Racing (#DP-1001TI) 50mm Damper Set (TI) for 1:10

I received the yeah racing kit. Impressive, especially for the price! (~25$)

They come with a nice set of extra parts (1,2 & 3 hole pistons, 3 sets of springs and several mounting options)

... some mods are required in the shock mount area, but nothing too crazy. The rocker side fits well with our MERV parts (a slightly bigger screw will make a perfect match (drill & tap)).

High quality, perfect Alu machining . Very very strong. A quick test shows that it will easily eliminate sagging. They can be fit with no mods, but in this config the truck does not bottom out anymore. therefore the mounting holes would take all the forces after full compression... not good. So I have not even try running them that way.

Anyway, it looks very promising and simple to do a clean mod. I can't wait to have time to fit them on properly...

No doubt, they will have to be tuned on the softer end.

If in the end, the results are not satisfactory... I might try to build a 8 shocks MERV, doubling shocks & rocker + building a double story mount. I have all the parts available...

RC Enthusiast
    it the shock kit designed fot the revo or slash? and you got all of that for 25?
    1/16 E Revo VXL
    Revo 3.3

RC Qualifier
    It's meant for touring cars.
    1/16 Revo
    X-60
    X-6

RC Enthusiast
    yes i know that those shocks are touring cars. but with out tring different things as far as technology we all still would be around camp fires with clubs
    1/16 E Revo VXL
    Revo 3.3

RC Qualifier
    Yes, I know, I was answering your question as to whether they were "meant" for the Revo or the Slash, and I was saying neither, they were touring car shocks that were adapted for the minis and could probably be used on either.
    1/16 Revo
    X-60
    X-6

RC Qualifier
    proof of concept?

RC Qualifier
    Nice, they look a lot beefier than ones actually meant for these trucks, and I like the removal of that annoying shock tower.
    1/16 Revo
    X-60
    X-6

RC Qualifier
    I can see how on hard impact, the top screw holding the shock could rip right out of the chassis.

Looks good but I don't know if it'd last in theory, instead of blowing a shock cap on a hard landing, you could end up ripping out the top shock mount and needing a new chassis.
    HPI Savage Flux
    Traxxas Slash

RC Qualifier
    I doubt it would break it off at all.
    1/16 Revo
    X-60
    X-6

RC Champion
    I bet if you made a plate outta C/F or aluminum too tie the 2 shock caps together it would be stronger .
    At WARN 80% and climbing !

RC Qualifier
    Hey,

Here is some clarification. The picture above shows the shock mounted in the original MERV shock mount. I will not run it like that as it would break for sure since all the forces would be transferred to the mounting screws. I am convinced that the truck need to bottom out first (just before full compression) to ensure that nothing breaks. So new holes are required... I will have to measure things out properly. Furthermore, a custom mount would be a wise thing.

I have a couple more possibilities to try with the normal MERV shocks before I try those oversize one. I just got some harder springs to play with... I will try different tuning options with those first.

This project is on hold for now, but clearly not dead! After all, I will have to play with my Mini revo on the roof of my house at some point

By the way, what do you guys think of :
    Quote Originally Posted by Papino
    If in the end, the results are not satisfactory... I might try to build a 8 shocks MERV, doubling shocks & rocker + building a double story mount. I have all the parts available...

RC Qualifier
    PS : If someone else want to try customizing them with me, here is where you can get them :
    http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-dam...i-p-25325.html

RC Qualifier
    lol

This is a real set of shocks!!!

& too easy, they are plug and play when installed with the New Era Racing Shock Leveling Brace....

Front :

Rear :

What have you learned today?

RC Qualifier
    lol

This is a real set of shocks!!!

& too easy, they are plug and play when installed with the New Era Racing Shock Leveling Brace....

Front :

Rear :

Man, if only my motor would fit with that on
    MBX6T CC 1520
    CF Sav Flux CC 1520
    MERV Neu 1112

RC Qualifier
    Would it work with a NEU 1112? The castle web site says that all the 1112 motors are the same length. 2.06 inches or 52mm. Is that right? With most motors as the Kv goes down they tend to get longer.
    BASH. BREAK. FIX. REPEAT. ALWAYS REPEAT.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG-block
    Would it work with a NEU 1112? The castle web site says that all the 1112 motors are the same length. 2.06 inches or 52mm. Is that right? With most motors as the Kv goes down they tend to get longer.
    Not sure if it'll fit with the 1112. With the 1112 you have to file of 2mm off of the shock mount. This may be an issue with this mount.
    MBX6T CC 1520
    CF Sav Flux CC 1520
    MERV Neu 1112

RC poster
    what spring, silver i assume, what oil? what surface? just ordered them cant wait
    Team Whiteknuckle

BL RC8T
    BL Maxx2
    BL RC18T2

RC Qualifier

Test run results - They work A1!

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH YYYYYYEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Very successful 1st test run. I was taking my favorite fast curve at full speed. Going down wood stairs was also cooler then ever. No jump yet, I will probably visit the skate park over the week-end...

I ran a full set of 2S in parallel with the following setup:

Surface : 1/4" Gravel (& tall grass)
    Front : 2 holes piston, 40wt, Blue springs, 25% pre-load
    Rear : 2 holes, 60wt, Gold springs, 75% pre-load

... The front is a little bouncy. I will try the silver spring on my next run. Probably a little less pre-load on the back will help with corner entry...

No oil leak what so ever. No new slop of any sort.

No doubt. So far, I am very happy with this mod.

Extra pit notes:
    - Convert the rocker and brace to 3mm screws (the 2.5mm works just fine, but those shocks are made for 3mm)
    - Front assembly is "perfect" on the inside holes.
    - Rear assembly... Contact with the rocker on full decompression (installed on the brace inside holes). Functional but can be improved... Try drilling&tapping 2 new holes near the center or mount aligned with the post, with longer screws... or leave as is an just play!

Can someone give me a lesson on sway bar? I feel like to explore this for my next mod... I have something to learn there.

RC Qualifier

Quad front shocks mod

Just for fun, I tried to fit 2 standard size shock sets on the brace. lol again, surprisingly easy; 4 spacers + 4 longer screws = done.

oups, Now I am out of shocks to try the rear version!

RC Qualifier
    lol.
    the scary part is i bet you're gunna love it.
    keep us posted i enjoy your tinkering threads.

RC Qualifier
    ... The front is a little bouncy. I will try the silver spring on my next run. Probably a little less pre-load on the back will help with corner entry...

- Rear assembly... Contact with the rocker on full decompression (installed on the brace inside holes). Functional but can be improved... Try drilling&tapping 2 new holes near the center or mount aligned with the post, with longer screws... or leave as is an just play! [/I]

Can someone give me a lesson on sway bar? I feel like to explore this for my next mod...
    I did another test run today. Feedback vs above notes :
    - I tried the silver spring on the front... It was not an improvement, so I went back to the blue with a little less pre-load in the back. I cannot claim this setup is perfect, but it is certainly acceptable... I will re-tune camber and toe before touching the shocks again.
    - The Rear assembly is fine the way it is. The contact is at the end of the travel. No issue there.
    - I ordered another set of standard size shocks yesterday. Stay tuned, I will finish the 8 shocks setup in 2 weeks... Meanwhile, can some that have experience would share a trick or 2 about sway bar?

RC Qualifier
    god i wish i had your toy budget

seach around papino, i think someone actually made a mini tutorial on the sway bar.

RC Qualifier
    Yea I don't really count, just don't tell my wife, ok?
    Last edited by Papino; 11-07-2009 at 09:35 PM.

RC Qualifier
    that was me, i dont know where it is but if you go to my profile thing and go to threads started its in there im sure.
    what was that? what was what..oh that. thats mine.

RC Qualifier

RC Qualifier

Some extra Sway bar info :

Tune with Sway Bars by RC411

another MERV Home made Sway bar by Tomas P.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...r/DSC_0007.jpg

..ok now I have a new task on my pit to do list. I have to try this out!

Edited for image size. Please keep all images at or below 640 x 480 pixels. -cooleo
    Last edited by cooleocool; 11-09-2009 at 09:29 AM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by fb5b
    I can see how on hard impact, the top screw holding the shock could rip right out of the chassis.

Looks good but I don't know if it'd last in theory, instead of blowing a shock cap on a hard landing, you could end up ripping out the top shock mount and needing a new chassis.

and possibly more...possibility of it denting the motor can as well...
    Fluttershy is best pony.

RC Racer
    bummer I knew at the time I should have waited Spent close to 60 bucks on alloy shocks & springs & something better & cheaper comes along.
    As fast as U can, & then a bit faster!

RC Qualifier

Quad rear shocks mod

Second phase : 2 standard size shock sets on the rear brace. 4 HR spacers + Integy rockers + 2 mini-z plastic washers + 4 longer screws = done.

A couple more days before I can try this 8 shocks mod...

lol, I will probably traction roll like crazy on the first tries... But maybe the softer springs will end up being useful after all

Note that I post this not because the Yeah Racing shocks upgrade is not good. I guess I want to test extreme compression rates before finding something intelligent for racing...

No mater what, it would be nice to be able to land several feet jumps without bottoming out, don't you think?

RC Qualifier
    I thought it would be time to give you a quick update.

After trying so many combo; I have been running the Quad shock setup in the rear and the TC mod up front for over a month now. I really, really like this setup!!! I now have decent damping on my MERV.

Anyone else tried those mods?
    Last edited by Papino; 01-14-2010 at 08:47 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I took me a while to find this thread again but it was really worth it. I will try the dual shoch setup soon. nice build

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Manne
    I took me a while to find this thread again but it was really worth it. I will try the dual shoch setup soon. nice build
    Cool we will finally get a second opinion FYI, I am still running the Quad setup in the rear and the TC up front. It's a strong config, at least from my point of view.

By the way, you have a nice truck Manne (I have been following you on other threads). It will look even better with this mod.

As well, I so agree, we want Alu BulkHeads!!!

If I can help, let me know.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, I will try to get the additional shocks, mounts, chassis and bulkheads as soon as possible but I burn't 250dollars on my erbe yesterday:s so I don't know If I can afford the parts needed for the merv. Oh thanks! No one want's to reply on my thread so I started to wonder if it was boring, nice to hear that someone likes it! You have a very nice truck you too. I will try to post pics of my bulkhead mod and my turnbuckle mod that I made yesterday tonight. Keep up the good work mate