Thread: overheating

RC Qualifier

overheating

My 1/16 th's are overheating so fast, i have a revo and summit, both run for about 10 mins and overheat I have a heat sink on the motor with the thermal paste

How hot are they getting?

Most likely cure is to put a smaller pinion on them.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    What are you running for batteries? Gearing?
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Qualifier
    Batteries are 2200 mah lipos, sometimes I run them in parallel and gearing is stock, temps are usually over 80 degree C (about 170F) and up in about 10 mins the overheat protection comes on, trucks power is reduced and red light blinking, If i cool the truck it will run for another few mins and overheat again.

The summit is bone stock out of the box and the revo has slightly larger tires, same gearing i've had for 2 years

RC Champion
    Did it just recently start overheating? How is the performance otherwise?
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Qualifier
    Sounds like you need a smaller pinion
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E

RC Competitor
    You should put the smaller 50MPH Pinion on when you run the dual batteries

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    that would be the 23 tooth pinion!

i would say gear down to the 23 pinion if you are already useing that then 19 to help with temps.

question whats your driving habit? hard accel and braking alot? that will increase temps fast or tires loosing traction then grabbing on and off alot at high speed, i know mine heats up fast when those things happen. any Hill climbing or going up hills alot?
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Qualifier
    they overheat on a small sand track or just playing around drifting on concrete in the garage,

RC Qualifier
    You are drawing too much current by spinning your tires so fast. The ESC can only handle so much, and 2 LiPo's in parallel will give them a ton of power.

Drifting and running on sand spin your tires like crazy, and subsequently draws a lot of current. Try using the smaller pinion and one pack. This will reduce temperatures throughout your system.

Also, I reduced the drag brake and brake on my slash as per the instructions in the manual. This greatly reduced my heat, about 30 degrees Fahrenheit.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Part throttle will overheat an esc faster than full throttle runs.the esc cycles 11,000-13000 times a second and each cycle is full voltage not a portion of the voltage
    Last edited by 50togo; 09-18-2012 at 11:35 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    Part throttle will overheat an esc faster than full throttle runs.the esc cycles 11,000-13000 times a second and each cycle is full voltage not a portion of the voltage
    In theory I agree but my temp gun says different. And drifting WOT on gravel makes it even hotter.

So far only grass has overheated any of the components when I was geared for the job with a single cell.

RC Qualifier
    the thing is, the summit has a tiny pinion and it still overheats, I don't drive that truck so hard, and it still overheats, and it eats diffs like something stupid

RC Qualifier
    Check that if there is any binding/resistance in moving parts,
    gear mesh between pinion n spur, bearings in bulkhead, driveshaft axle

RC Qualifier
    26T pinion and fan, not overheating at all, its a lot cooler outside now as well but at least its not overheating, just need to shim the diff, I can hear the gears skipping

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If you catch it in time shimming will.save it

RC Enthusiast
    I also cut out the body a bit and put some mesh, this helped a bit, but for my merv, smaller pinion made a difference as I was running bugger/heavier tires and rims on the Lipo.

RC Qualifier
    I think i will save them, i don't have any teeth missing so thats good! after I shim i'm in need of axle carriers, my wheels are getting really sloppy in the piviot balls

RC Qualifier
    So here is how I placed my fan, seems to be working so far, not sure if anyone has come up with a mounting braket, I might try to make one when I get some time.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I had mine mounted like that -made some little brackets bolt into the esc and upper fan holes. Few hard landing on the roof and took the fan out!
    Last edited by 50togo; 10-11-2012 at 08:30 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I hope that dont happen to mine. I got my diffs shimmed, I used to front and back., got 100k diff fluid in there, I would like something a little heavier. All i need now is axle carriers, the stocks are getting sloppy.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Rpm.will get you by but I run gh aluminum carriers. Great looks and are strong!

RC Qualifier
    Here is a mount that I made from some steel plumbing strand.

Works great so far, but the weather is a lot colder here now so I won't get a good test until next summer.

RC Qualifier
    Turn your ESC around the other way so the wind hits the heat sink not the back.

Like this should help cool the ESC better.

RC Qualifier
    Its the only way to fit the fan on, I didn't really want to extent the wires