RC Competitor

Unglueing my tires

Hey all,

I just tried boiling my Slash stock tires and it didnt seem to work. The glue is still on there. And I dont wanna do the baking or Acetone method either. Got any ideas for me?
    3 Slash VXLs
    Rustler VXL
    Nitro T-Maxx

RC Qualifier
    you have to get them HOT. I did mine about two weeks ago it was impossible to handle them without gloves and very hard with. You have to get them so hot the wheels will feel like the body in flexible terms. Took about 25 mins of boiling on almost highest setting.

RC Racer
    Just put them on a cookie sheet and bake them at 350 degrees for about 5-7 minutes. It's really easy just use gloves

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah, Baking works super easy and no mess.

Alot of people just dump their wheels, since they are so cheap. Its such a pain in the tail to get em off. I leave it to do it in like 2 or 3 pairs, one night when im feelin motivated or something. But it truely is a pain.... To get the glue off, yes soaking in Acetone works. Ul need to pick up a container from Home Depot. Than take the foams out (or they will likely be shredded) and soak the tires ...

Look for youtube vids....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHjcdiViDtQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxnRwRaora0
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

RC Competitor
    I dont wanna do the baking method cuz I dont want them smelling up my house for a few days, and I don't wanna do the acetone method cause I dont want it ruining my tires!
    3 Slash VXLs
    Rustler VXL
    Nitro T-Maxx

RC Qualifier
    The acetone may kill the foams too. Depends on the foams.

RC Qualifier
    You can try a heat gun. I saw a vid on youtube using it. Other than that, sell them and buy new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Grambo97 View Post
    I dont wanna do the baking method cuz I dont want them smelling up my house for a few days, and I don't wanna do the acetone method cause I dont want it ruining my tires!

RC Qualifier
    The acetone WILL ruin the foam but the tires and wheels (provided they are the right kind) will be okay.

Of course, I soaked some Tamiya wheels in acetone... Bad idea. Completely dissolved the wheels.

RC Enthusiast
    I have baked several sets of tires with no smell at all. You are not melting anything, just getting the CA glue to crack and get brittle. I do mine at 350 degrees for 15min. and they come right off the rim with little to no effort. No mess or smell. Use gloves.

I used GOO OFF from HD Pro Strenght and worked good no ruining the foams, rims or anything takes a little time and gotta be careful not to pull the tires too hard or you will rip it but since you got slash wheels i dont think you have to worry about that there thicker. I removed AKA glue from my wheels and man were they glued good ( i glued them lol)

Put the GOO OFF around the bead area let sit for about 2-3mins then pull the bead area off slowly if its still not coming off apply a little more around then let sit 1 min then pull again it should start to come off a little when it does start to loosen the glue apply a little more to the open area to it can get in there better work in a small area to remove the tire off the wheel so you expose the area and put some GOO OFF down there on the bead area of the rim and work good and while its sitting there work on the rest of the wheel doing the same thing. i hope this works for you. Fumes are little so have air like ceiling fan or open area.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Qualifier
    Goof Off in both configurations is some of the most useful stuff science has ever given us. I always have both on hand. I clean my tires between races with the water based version (Heavy Duty).

However, Goof Off Professional is basically very expensive acetone and other proprietary ingredients. For the price of one 16 oz. bottle of Goof Off, you can get a gallon of acetone.

i seen that but i have used acetone before and it didnt work as good as the Goof off from my experience atleast. the acetone you have to let it sit for hrs and hrs to work when the goof off works alot faster for me. It doesnt smell up my house with rubber and nasty smelling tires, i dont ruin my pots boiling them or get burned at all like this. it was just a thought to consider and i know what you mean about price .crispy not cheap but it does work better
    DEU 8:18 ESV