RC Competitor

Pede 4X4 Prep for Bigger Jumps?

For a mostly stock Stampede 4X4, what upgrades/adjustments are necessary for it to be ready for harder landings with bigger jumps in a backyard? (bigger = ~ 5 feet high, give or take).

I know that with offroad driving, it's better to have softer shocks, but my front shocks right now just seem way too soft to provide any sort of protection with hard jump landings. (bottoming out). Which springs and which shock oil would be recommended for a balance between offroad handling and shock protection with jump landings?

I assume that a-arms will eventually break, and will replace those with RPM when needed.

Which upgrades should I do right away prior to more jumping? In the next day or so, my RPM wide front bumper should be arriving, so that should help with accidental nose-dives...

I'm loving the Stampede, and am anxious to take it to the next level and start practicing more jump control. (without destroying the Pede)

RC poster
    get a better body or modify your current one. You'll need air holes. Check out the slash flo-tek for some ideas.

RC Qualifier
    I would shoe goo and drywall tape the body. Jumps and bad landings will shred a body.

RC Qualifier
    First thing would be to get some VG Racing jumping springs. Then aluminum shocks w/50 wt. oil. I do a lot of jumping with it and the only time I broke an A arm was due to a direct hit with a stair case post with the wheel at high speed, not from jumping. When you break enough axle shafts/yokes, you'll want to go steel on the driveshafts. I've got MIP's on the back and Integy XHD on the front. I've also got sway bars on mine which are good if you don't come down level and for cornering. Minimizes the barrel rolling!

RC Qualifier
    Just go for it, put all the spacers in the springs. Yes do the shoe goo drywall tape thing. I've been jumping mine 10' high 20' out all summer, front and backflips, and only broke 1 a arm and 1 rear bearing carrier. Only because I went off jump sideways and truck landed crooked. Quite impressed actually fyi, its always going to bottom out from 5' and higher a little.

If you want to go big then look at caster racing big bore 16mm shocks or hpi vorza shocks
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Champion
    We hit some huge air with stock shocks. When the shafts break we swap them for nitride shafts. When the stock caps pop off, we swap them out for aluminum caps while running 50 wt oil. Handles very well for big jumps. Just run your truck and tweak it as needed.
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!