Thread: Spartan rebuild

RC Champion

Spartan rebuild

As most of you are aware, I snapped a prop shaft about a month ago. I lost the prop, drive dog, nut, and the shaft was obviously broken. I ordered some parts to hopefully make it much more durable. While I'm at it, I'm tearing down the Spartan to see what I can improve. So far, what I've ordered is as follows:

- .187 prop shaft from RCRaceBoat.com
    - Aeromarine collet
    - Drive dog from RCRaceBoat.com
    - Prop nut from RCRaceBoat.com
    - GrimRacer 40mm X 52mm 3 blade prop
    - Glass filled 40mm X 56mm 2 blade prop
    - Glass filled 45mm X 63mm 2 blade prop
    - Glass filled 47mm X 65.8mm 3 blade prop

So far, I have the props and collet. The collet looks massive compared to the stock coupler so I don't expect to have any issues there. The 47x65 3 blade prop looks way too big, the 45x63 looks like it may work, the 40x56 looks similar to stock, and the metal 40x52 looks perfect. It has a good bit of pitch and cup to it, and it's a 3 blade... however it's only 40mm in diameter so it might not be too much. Only testing will tell
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

RC Qualifier
    Sounds like you should have a good drive line when you're done.

You're still running the stock electrics, correct?

The stock prop is 42 x 59 so your 45 and 63mm diameter props are going to add a considerable amount of extra load to the electrics.

My experience with 3 blade props was that they didn't work well with the Spartan, I found they cavitated a lot coming out of the hole, and resulted in loss of plane easily in the corners. once they hooked up they moved to boat OK in a straight line. That was my experience, but yours may be different, it can't hurt to experiment.

Your 40mm props will be fine as far as load on the electrics is concerned, in fact they should reduce the load. You may find they are a bit slower out of the hole with the smaller than stock diameter, and both are lower pitch than stock, so top end speed will likely be a bit lower as well.

Performance should still be good, and some good reliable runs will be fun times.

Let us know how your different props work out.

hog

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by hog View Post
    Sounds like you should have a good drive line when you're done.

You're still running the stock electrics, correct?

The stock prop is 42 x 59 so your 45 and 63mm diameter props are going to add a considerable amount of extra load to the electrics.

My experience with 3 blade props was that they didn't work well with the Spartan, I found they cavitated a lot coming out of the hole, and resulted in loss of plane easily in the corners. once they hooked up they moved to boat OK in a straight line. That was my experience, but yours may be different, it can't hurt to experiment.

Your 40mm props will be fine as far as load on the electrics is concerned, in fact they should reduce the load. You may find they are a bit slower out of the hole with the smaller than stock diameter, and both are lower pitch than stock, so top end speed will likely be a bit lower as well.

Performance should still be good, and some good reliable runs will be fun times.

Let us know how your different props work out.

hog
    It is stock electronics. At $2.50 a prop, I couldn't help myself. I had to pick up a few massive props. I'm really thinking this three blade will be a good prop. I even spent a half hour polishing it today
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

RC Competitor
    @hog
    Well you have to remember too that a 3 blade prop is going to have more drag then a 2 blade, meaning more acceleration for the 3 blade but less top end speed.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 67Mustang View Post
    @hog
    Well you have to remember too that a 3 blade prop is going to have more drag then a 2 blade, meaning more acceleration for the 3 blade but less top end speed.
    That is what one would expect from a three blade prop, more surface area on three blades to give better acceleration out of the hole, but my experience was exact opposite, more cavitation and less acceleration from a standstill or after slowing in a corner.

Hog

RC Racer
    That is what one would expect from a three blade prop, more surface area on three blades to give better acceleration out of the hole, but my experience was exact opposite, more cavitation and less acceleration from a standstill or after slowing in a corner.

Hog
    It's moving water faster than it's (water) is backfilling.

RC Champion

Hog
    I had the same experience with an Octura X440 3 blade. The x is a pushing prop and maybe a lifting prop may have worked but I have enjoyed the speeds from both the Prather 215 and Octura X442.

Let us know what your results are when you have them ready to go......
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis