Thread: Hot battery.

RC Champion

Hot battery.

I ran the boat for a third time today and when we pulled it out of the water, one of the batteries was 83 degrees Celsius or about 181 farenhiet. The odd part is that only 3 cells were hot. The 4 other cells on the same battery were around 45 - 50 degrees Celsius, as was every cell on the other battery. Is this a problem? My dad did run it until it stopped, which I know is bad for the batteries but he won't listen.
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

RC Racer
    LiPo or NiMH?

New sig: Dr. Octogonapus
    BLARG!!!!!!!

RC Champion
    Stock nimh

RC Racer
    :shudder: I hope you don't keep running those! I got a battery (NiMH) to get to 140 before it melted the shrink wrap and blew a cell. I would defiantly not run those anymore. I don't know why it's getting that hot, it should be nowhere near 180~200. How long has it been doing that?

BLARG!!!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    just a few questions @traxxastuesdays: what is your setup? stock components,prop?driveline? sounds like you have a bad battery obviously, but what caused it? thats what you need to figure out.... might have been bad from factory, wouldnt doubt that for anything... but fyi, those nimh are for stock components only, i wouldnt even attemp using them with just a diff aftermarket esc.... jmo.... good luck with your finds and hopefully youll be up and running soon! keep us posted!
    spartan1 castle ice 240 castle 2200 Prather 220

RC Champion
    Everything is 100% completely stock. Zero changes out of the box other than setting the rudder straight (it was turned slightly to starboard out of the box and the trim couldn't turn it far enough to center it). I just got it Friday to take on vacation with me this past weekend. We rented a HUGE house right on the water so it was great for the boat, but I didn't want to touch anything this weekend because I was afraid of breaking something and not being able to run it for the rest of the weekend. I did run it one more time hoping it was just a one time occurrence caused by a perfect storm of running it wide open for too long and running the batteries too low but it did it again. The batteries are only 3 charges old. I guess I'll send Traxxas a message and ask them what I should do.

RC Enthusiast
    My traxxas battery only lasted about 4 runs before it came apart, NIMH. shrink wrap melted and cell was leaking

RC Champion
    sounds like with a short in the pack or only a few cells are draining. either way, I believe it to be a defective battery

RC Qualifier
    Gotcha @ traxxastuesdays ....what I really think is these nigh batts aren't capable enough for even the stock setup....and traxxas will eventually find this out and make better ones,or just offer some kind of Lipo config.....which they should've dine from the beginning with this boat jmo
    spartan1 castle ice 240 castle 2200 Prather 220

RC Qualifier
    Buy a new battery for it.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by e-revo View Post
    Buy a new battery for it.
    I'd like Traxxas to replace this one if it's truly defective. People buy things and expect them to work. If the box had advertised "comes with a battery that will potentially melt right through the hull, or at least burn your fingers!", I wouldn't have bought it. I sent Traxxas an email and I'm now waiting for a reply....

RC poster
    i am having the same problem with my batteries, after only 5 runs the plastic is melting and a couple cells are getting up to 200f did traxxas say what problem was?

RC Champion
    Nope. I never got a reply. It's gotten a little better but it's still a little hotter than I would like to see in those same three cells.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasTuesdays View Post
    Nope. I never got a reply. It's gotten a little better but it's still a little hotter than I would like to see in those same three cells.
    Call Traxxas, you will have a straight up answer, I did use my NIMH for 4x and burnt the plastic as well, I buy a LIPO Batts. but it seems to be hot also and start ballooning, I have 185f on the temp. is that normal on the LIPO? 11.1v 5000mah 30c
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgemoulic View Post
    Call Traxxas, you will have a straight up answer, I did use my NIMH for 4x and burnt the plastic as well, I buy a LIPO Batts. but it seems to be hot also and start ballooning, I have 185f on the temp. is that normal on the LIPO? 11.1v 5000mah 30c
    That's not good! Do not continue using that pack if it's ballooned. You will destroy your equipment! There's a saying, when in doubt, throw it out!

BLARG!!!!!!!

RC Competitor
    I know it's silly that they are included with the boat in the first place, but the Spartan has too much amp draw to run on any nimhs besides top-shelf brands.

RC Racer
    If they didn't come with batteries, they wouldn't be considered RTR. That's kinda their thing. What I don't understand is why they don't come with their Lipos?

BLARG!!!!!!!

RC poster
    I called traxxas and there sending two new batteries, they will probably get here the same time as the lipos I ordered

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ashawn1987 View Post
    I called traxxas and there sending two new batteries, they will probably get here the same time as the lipos I ordered
    When you spoke with traxxas did they say why the batteries were running so hot?

I don't remember what the amp hour ratinng is on the NiMh that come with the Spartan but they should be at least 7 cell @ 5000 mah, is this the case?

NiMh batteries just cannot handle the excessive current draw @ wide open throttle for long time periods.
    They get hot when you fast charge them....It is just the characteristics of the Nicad and NiMh batteries.
    The same thing happens in rc cars.... They just get hot when you quick charge and quick discharge at WOT.
    We all just have to know the limitations of our equipment.

I know when I first ran my Spartan on NiMh on the V1 modle, the batts did the same as yours and TraxxasTuesdays did. Just move up to Lipos as soon as you can.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC poster
    There 7cell 3000 mah, they just said it could have had a bad cell since only one was getting hot